• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Power valve cable guide tube loose

titaniumbadger

Premium Member
Dec 2, 2007
Pocatello, ID
I was installing an SLP pipe tonight and noticed one of my power valve cable housings was loose (you can wiggle the tube back and forth). It is the u-shaped tube that goes through the exhaust valve cover. I checked the 2 small bolts holding down the cover where tight, pulled and cleaned the power valves, they seemed fine. I checked my brothers and both of his and my other one do not have any play in them. I didn't have time to measure the cable play and is wasn't running funny when I parked it. Just trying to decide if it could be a problem some time. Thanks.

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
I was installing an SLP pipe tonight and noticed one of my power valve cable housings was loose (you can wiggle the tube back and forth). It is the u-shaped tube that goes through the exhaust valve cover. I checked the 2 small bolts holding down the cover where tight, pulled and cleaned the power valves, they seemed fine. I checked my brothers and both of his and my other one do not have any play in them. I didn't have time to measure the cable play and is wasn't running funny when I parked it. Just trying to decide if it could be a problem some time. Thanks.

I have had this happen before also. If I remember right I found an oring just the right size and put it in to take up the slack.

Thunder

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
I wouldn't worry about it. Not too long ago I bought a M1000 crate motor that came with power valves and cables already installed and they were both loose even after double checking that the bolts were tight.

B

Bowfisher

Sep 16, 2011
American Falls ID
I have had this happen before also. If I remember right I found an oring just the right size and put it in to take up the slack.

Thunder

The o-ring between the cable and the power valve cap is most likely worn out. Replace it before it wears in to the cap like mine did. It happened on mine last year when I decided to finally totally ditch the crappy factory heat shield and ran the pipe without anything on it. The cap was worn unevenly and to the point that two o-rings didn't make it as tight as it should have been so I had to replace it too.

Premium Features