• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Powder Special/Extreme

Thread Rating
4.00 star(s)

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
I am guessing the front mount at 2.5" is straight back correct? I would be interested to see some better pictures of your set up. I was under the impression the 141" track was 3.0 pitch . The 136" is a 2.52 pitch I thought drivers would have to be changed.

Thanks

I relocated the front holes back 2 inches and down 1 inch. I think I could have gone 2 inches. The track I have is a Kimpex Sherpaw. I did not have time to drag the sled out of the storage unit to take additional pictures but will do so in the future.

W

WAmtnsledr

Jul 12, 2009
now that i know that other people still ride these beasts, let's see some pics of some steep climbs, big drops, deep powder or any other insane stuff that you've done on a powder special or powder extreme.:D:beer;:beer;:beer;

T

T-Bone

Nov 11, 2005
Shelby, MT
HeartAttackLine.jpg

This is a pretty well known climb on skyland road in northwest montana. It's called heart attack. I don't think the picture does it justice. The red indicates the line to the top. I climbed it on my powder extreme shown on the first page (actually in the picture it's sitting across the road at the bottom of heart attack). The last open climb at the very top coming out of the trees is the worst part because it gets really steep and you're committed.

With the newer high horsepower sleds and longer tracks it's a lot easier, but it's a very formidible climb for a 600 with a 136" track.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2007
Zillah, WA.
when I bought my '98 600 ps brand new, those sleds were the bomb. they came stock with a 2"x136" track (the biggest available from the factory), roller secondary, wide plastic skis, and I think they were 105 hp.

glad I kept it as backup, the crank went out of my polaris 800 last spring. I ended up taking the powder puff on a couple heavy snow rides. It will get there, you just need to side hill her a little bit.

some times the new sleds make it too easy, remember having to beat on a hill for hours to get some place?????

Last edited:
W

WAmtnsledr

Jul 12, 2009
that powder special with a 156 is completely insane!!:eek::beer; must be a HUGE improvement over the stock 136!!:eek::D:beer;:beer;

B

bradburck

Jan 13, 2008
Colorado

Have a 98 600 as a backup/wife sled... but my favorite of all time is the 96. Had D & D twins, roller secondary, custom light weight hood, drop brackets, hard mtn bar, running board inserts. It was a tangled mess... but it was just so fun... took me a lot of places 'newer' sleds couldn't take there riders and got me back out every ride but one (lost a crank bearing at somewhere around 4k miles). Just a great sled. Sold it when i lost the stator. Great memories!!

I'll see if I can pull up a picture, I know I've got some

Nov 20, 2008
i have a 99 zr500 with a 136 that im puting a turbo on just to see if i can do it. cant really afford a new sled so ill just build my own. and my friend painted the hood. so ive got a brand new sled haha

Attachments

• hood.jpg
    hood.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 34
HeartAttackLine.jpg

This is a pretty well known climb on skyland road in northwest montana. It's called heart attack. I don't think the picture does it justice. The red indicates the line to the top. I climbed it on my powder extreme shown on the first page (actually in the picture it's sitting across the road at the bottom of heart attack). The last open climb at the very top coming out of the trees is the worst part because it gets really steep and you're committed.

With the newer high horsepower sleds and longer tracks it's a lot easier, but it's a very formidible climb for a 600 with a 136" track.

Thats a good pic of heart attack but it doesnt do it justice, first time i climbed it, it was with a 96 580 EXT pretty much the same thing as a powder special.

Nov 20, 2008
getting close to the first test ride just thought i would post some more pics. proof you can polish a turd.

Attachments

• jump wyo 002_0001.jpg
    jump wyo 002_0001.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 100
  • new3.jpg
    new3.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 97
  • sled 001.jpg
    sled 001.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
T

Team Wild

Aug 13, 2008
Belgrade, MT
Latest pic of my sled. Its been streched to 151x2
Snow Eliminators from a 1M modified.
18 top and 43 bottom gears.
M series snowflap.
Skid from a mountain cat. Big wheel kit 9", ice scratchers.
Steering post extension 4" Ole's Mfg.
custom conduit bumper and running board ends.
Homemade tunnel extension. 063 Aluminum.

DSC02152.jpg

Premium Features