• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Powder Freaks head

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
Seen a dyno with the jaws pipe, stock muffler, and his head. 23.7 HP increase . Have heard great things about the jaws on the 850, and heard great things about the just the head mod. I have the complete jaws exhaust, but Freak only dynode with the stock muffler.
Anyone have any experience or first hand knowledge of how this set up would work with the jaws can?

BTW, the exhaust, with SHR clutching works very well . You seriously can feel the seat of the pants difference.

Thanks for any input

snow-doo

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Atascadero Ca
Definitely big increase without a fuel control module.I am going to do a little research on this and see if any other mufflers have been tested.Big John said the jaws pipe was good for 10 h.p.with a timing key added.

I
Jul 5, 2001
Definitely big increase without a fuel control module.I am going to do a little research on this and see if any other mufflers have been tested.Big John said the jaws pipe was good for 10 h.p.with a timing key added.
Timing is added with BUDS system not a key.....

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA

Their website states 13 without a timing bump.

Ace

Last edited:

snow-doo

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Atascadero Ca
Sorry about the timing key remark,don't know what i was thinking.So the jaws pipe will give 10 h.p.with the stock silencer and an ignition upgrade with the ski-doo programmer ? That being said using a jaws pipe you have the dealer reprogram your machine for different ignition curve ? I didn't remember when i called Jaws that they mentioned that.Thanks for your input on this.

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
Sorry about the timing key remark,don't know what i was thinking.So the jaws pipe will give 10 h.p.with the stock silencer and an ignition upgrade with the ski-doo programmer ? That being said using a jaws pipe you have the dealer reprogram your machine for different ignition curve ? I didn't remember when i called Jaws that they mentioned that.Thanks for your input on this.

...My understanding is that the Jaws Single gives a 850 with stock head, stock timing, and stock silencer gives the sled a 13 hp bump on 91 fuel.

Ace

Last edited:
P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
oh I miss these...

sooo is there 23 ponies worth of extra fuel available in stock form, or is the sled going to be a 'touch' lean..?

the pf head does work. ive just head from people who ride every day that when you add a pipe it sometimes runs weird. probably too lean.

just by coincidence, I have made fuel adder keys that help. plug and play. nobody has ever talked about a problem and sold the solution on here before ey?

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
oh I miss these...

sooo is there 23 ponies worth of extra fuel available in stock form, or is the sled going to be a 'touch' lean..?

the pf head does work. ive just head from people who ride every day that when you add a pipe it sometimes runs weird. probably too lean.

just by coincidence, I have made fuel adder keys that help. plug and play. nobody has ever talked about a problem and sold the solution on here before ey?

... so you have some buddies that run both the head and pipe, and have had issues?

Ace

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
oh I miss these...

Just wondering if you could elaborate? Thanks

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
there are two basic kinds of efi.

open loop - this system just uses programmed data to guess how much fuel to add.

closed loop - these systems read oxygen in the exhaust and know how much fuel to add

unless something has changed that I don't know about, the 850's are open loop. there is only so much fuel going into the engine. so...how does an open loop system know you added a pipe and a head? it doesn't. so you're moving more air thru it and the same amount of fuel = lean.

in stock form they are likely a little rich, so maybe a fella can add 10 ponies and all is fine. but there isn't enough fuel to make 20+ and have it run right. which is what my buddies have found. if you get em too lean by adding too much stuff, they run like junk.

so.. if you want to add big power, you need to add fuel. this used to mean buying a couple brass jets. now you need to buy a box and fiddle around with it.

M

Moon SOB

Oct 13, 2016
I have the Jaws pipe, VForce 3 reeds and a Goodwin clutch kit that is setup for the Jaws pipe. It is very, very snappy! I ride only at low elevations (Michigan UP) and I want to know if the 850 will detonate running 91 octane using the Powder Freaks head. I had a different brand head and pipe on a 800 ski-doo and a Thundercat with a CPR 1100 big bore kit and they both detonated and destroyed the heads and pistons, 3 times on the T-Cat!. I believe most everyone is running the Powder Freaks head are in the mountains which is way different than on flat land. I would like to get the PF head but I don't want to "burn it down"! I don't want to use race gas at all. I ride the trails at around 200-250 miles a day in the UP and when I ride in Quebec you can be far between gas stops and you won't find race fuel anywhere along the trails.

A
Jan 4, 2015
Canada
there are two basic kinds of efi.

open loop - this system just uses programmed data to guess how much fuel to add.

closed loop - these systems read oxygen in the exhaust and know how much fuel to add

unless something has changed that I don't know about, the 850's are open loop. there is only so much fuel going into the engine. so...how does an open loop system know you added a pipe and a head? it doesn't. so you're moving more air thru it and the same amount of fuel = lean.

in stock form they are likely a little rich, so maybe a fella can add 10 ponies and all is fine. but there isn't enough fuel to make 20+ and have it run right. which is what my buddies have found. if you get em too lean by adding too much stuff, they run like junk.

so.. if you want to add big power, you need to add fuel. this used to mean buying a couple brass jets. now you need to buy a box and fiddle around with it.
There is two temp sensor in the exhaust and this is how the engine control module adjusts so what you are saying isn't exact. A lambda sensor tends to clog up in a two stroke, hence why there is none.

Premium Features