• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Powder coat 2020 spindles?

T

Toad face killah

Sep 27, 2010
Lake Almanor, Ca
I bought a pair of spindles from a 2020 react front end. They came lime squeeze color and I want them nowhere near my sled. Colors are just way off. Im either looking to trade them (listed on swap meet) for blue, black or white, or maybe I will powder coat them. Are there any adverse things against powder coating them? does it mess with the temper of the metal? would I end up getting rid of the finishing touches like "Polaris" in bare metal? thanks in advance

mizakmx95

Cole Mizak
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 30, 2018
Lake Tahoe
www.tahoeluxre.com
Powder coated mine professionally. No issues at all. Have the technician tape off all of the exposed metal where bolts and washers are. They should be raw now anyway, just keep them raw.

As for the Polaris emblem, you could have them tape that off, but I had them just spray over it.

You will need new spindle bushings. Don't buy them from the dealer, they're $72... buy the Delrin bushings using the correct Polaris part #... don't have it in front of me right now. They're less than half the price from a few Ebay stores and possibly Dennis Kirk.

Hope this helps.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Powder coated mine professionally. No issues at all. Have the technician tape off all of the exposed metal where bolts and washers are. They should be raw now anyway, just keep them raw.

As for the Polaris emblem, you could have them tape that off, but I had them just spray over it.

You will need new spindle bushings. Don't buy them from the dealer, they're $72... buy the Delrin bushings using the correct Polaris part #... don't have it in front of me right now. They're less than half the price from a few Ebay stores and possibly Dennis Kirk.

Hope this helps.

fyi you can just leave the bushings in.

Powdercoat just doesn’t stick to the bushings.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
They ended up cracking and disintegrating in the oven... otherwise I would've ha.

that means that a high temperature powder was used.

it’s a good way to anneal aluminum.

the Powdercoat shop i use doesn’t do aluminum and steel in the same batch. (2 different temperatures)

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Put the lime squeeze on and go play. Mismatched parts are cool. Gives you a pass as a parking lot poser and gives you more courage to take that line that might otherwise scratch up your pretty spindles. My upper a-arms are gold on my red/silver sled. They be ugly but I'll add some tree rash to improve their looks

T

Toad face killah

Sep 27, 2010
Lake Almanor, Ca
cool. thanks guys. they're at powder coater now. They told me the washers needed to go or else they would melt. I guess Ill be ordering a new set. thanks for the input

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
Next time gently heat the delrin washers and take them out. Usually you end up cutting the flange off one of the washers and then gently tapping the other one out with a long socket of the right diameter. So you might lose one but you will definitely save at least one of them and sometimes both depending on how hard they're stuck in there. I left them in once and they do just melt out in a 400 degree oven. I've powdercoated alot of parts at 400 degrees and haven't noticed it causing any problems. Have others?

Premium Features