• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Possible explanation of our CRAZY WEATHER lately..

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
If you feel like the weather has been getting a lot weirder and wilder lately, you’re not alone. While it’s easy to blame climate change, we need to dive deeper. There has been a recent increase in polar vortex events bringing arctic air far enough south to cause snow in places like Texas, extreme heat waves like in the Pacific Northwest, and extreme rain like we saw after Hurricane Ida. Even fires in Siberia and drought hint at a new dust bowl. NOAA’s 2020 Billion-Dollar Weather and Climate Disaster report showed a notable uptick in extremes. And 2021 was no exception, with 10.6% of all weather stations reporting record temperatures. And with the continued emission of carbon into the atmosphere, this should come as no real surprise.

But some new scientific research shows that there is a surprising thread that connects nearly all of these weather events. Tune in to learn why it feels like our weather is spiraling out of control and what we might have in store.

Weathered is a show hosted by weather expert Maiya May and produced by Balance Media that helps explain the most common natural disasters, what causes them, how they’re changing, and what we can do to prepare.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Going to wyoming next week. Its ride that or a mountain max. Told myself if it came the end of February I'd possibly wait and see on a 23. Forcast could turn around. Who knows. Weather forecasters are the only job you can be wrong every day and still keep your job. Some of the best dumps I've been in have been the beginning of may. The only thing new for 23 will be a kaos boost in 165. I didnt want one of those anyway. That is why i got a 155 boost. Probably still put 500 miles on it. Better than nothing

K
Apr 12, 2018
Going to wyoming next week. Its ride that or a mountain max. Told myself if it came the end of February I'd possibly wait and see on a 23. Forcast could turn around. Who knows. Weather forecasters are the only job you can be wrong every day and still keep your job. Some of the best dumps I've been in have been the beginning of may. The only thing new for 23 will be a kaos boost in 165. I didnt want one of those anyway. That is why i got a 155 boost. Probably still put 500 miles on it. Better than nothing
You will be disappointed with your trip. Snow is like concrete. Jackson Hole resort posted that they have only received 10 inches in over a month. 10 day forecast showing nothing significant either. Low country is all but barren.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
You will be disappointed with your trip. Snow is like concrete. Jackson Hole resort posted that they have only received 10 inches in over a month. 10 day forecast showing nothing significant either. Low country is all but barren.
1st day on my new boost and doing a bow tie and popped or tore something out in back of my leg. Down for the count. Heading for alpine Tuesday.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
They have a good bar there. Might even have strippers for the weekend. Makes a guy forget about the lack of snow
They still have them at the bull moose? We go to box y. I can always find untracked snow. Been going for over 20 years. Pretty good odds I'll just be riding in and hanging out. We've been spoiled the kast couple years. Only been 1 aweful year. Rained and froze. That was about 5 years ago. Think it rained anout 5 inches back there.

S
Feb 22, 2022
SLC
They still have them at the bull moose? We go to box y. I can always find untracked snow. Been going for over 20 years. Pretty good odds I'll just be riding in and hanging out. We've been spoiled the kast couple years. Only been 1 aweful year. Rained and froze. That was about 5 years ago. Think it rained anout 5 inches back there.
I am heading to Box Y next week for time, I've heard great things. How was the snow? I'd love any recomendations or advice. We are a small group with a fair amount of backcountry snowmobiling experience and a lot of backcountry skiing experience. I think we'll bring our skis and hopefully do some snowmobile accessed backcountry

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
The head of the drainages get more windblown and slick. If they get a bunch between when we left and you show up it will be bad for avalanches. Be careful. Lower down and in the trees on the shady side of the mountain will be your best bet.

Premium Features