• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Polycarbonate vs. lexan hoods?? (IQ racer)

N
Dec 19, 2007
PNW
Hmmm

I ran a poly hood on my first 03 Escape for years. It was belly up several times, I could sit on it and never a crack or discoloration.

I've got a sweet mesh hood now and I'm going back to poly. Mesh is too susceptible to those nasty branches close in to those trees... :)

SAWYER

Lifetime Membership
Jan 12, 2006
Kingston Idaho
kinda...GE got out of the resin business and sold lexan to SABIC. However, Lexan is just a trade name for their version of polycarbonate. Same...Same...

So, Lexan vs. Polycarbonate is a bit of a misnomer since lexan is polycarbonate. Unfortuneatly for us, All polycarbonates are not the same. They come in high molecular weights and low. Higher molecular weights are more expensive and are more difficult to process but usually have better properties. Also, clouding the issue, some stinkers use acrylic resin and call it Lexan for marketing purposes. Acylics shatter more easily.

So I guess for us, we would have to ask are you really using lexan in your hood? If you are comparing vendors for different hoods you might ask for the vendor certs and compare molecular weights.

Karl

Were you validictorian? (sp)

P
Nov 30, 2007
Utah
www.myspace.com
Magna cum laude, my twin sister and older brother were validictorians...no...seriously...I work in a materials research laboratory. I have access to some really smart nerds....

snicker

Karl

Last edited:

alexkravets

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 6, 2008
Portland
Million dollar answer

All you have to do is use right material to make hoods
SABIC have polycarbonate that's works well with cold temperatures
If you take any polycarbonate hood you can ran that thing over with the tank
And it will not crack as long as it is over 70F
Any thing colder than 36F and you can crack your hood very easy
Also paint will make your hood very brittle
So if they use Polycarbonate/Siloxane copolymer It has Excellent low temperature impact. It will not crack!!! I tested

Last edited:
Premium Features