• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Polaris to Doo?

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
Anyone jump ship from Polaris to Dod? If so why?

And if so are you till on a Doo? If went back to Polaris why?

Only curious as I've been on Polaris for many years, debating going Doo. Seems like the common difference I hear is the front end seems lighter on a Doo.

P
Jan 10, 2021
I posted this on your same post under Polaris- but I’ll add it here too in case anyone else wants to chime in/ feed off it.-

I personally jumped ship from Polaris to doo. (Rmk800 to summit 850). I am not brand loyal at all, but honestly feel like it was a great choice. I almost immediately gained a ton of confidence on sleds, to the point where I’d say by simply switching to do, I feel like it gave me the equivalent of an extra 5 years experience riding.

Yes they are heavier on the scale, BUT what I never hear people on here mention is that the actually feel significantly lighter. I feel that way, my fellow doo riders feel that way, and even my fellow Polaris riders seem quite surprised that on paper their sleds are lighter, because they feel the same that doo physically feels lighter.

I grew up on dirt bikes/ motorcycles/ atvs and such. To my understanding that’s why doo is more comfortable to me. The rider positioning on a doo is a lot more similar to dirt bikes than Polaris.

I don’t know what to blame here, but I also get stuck way less on the doo. Maybe because of the extra power coming from the previous 800, or maybe the 3” track. Or maybe a combo of a lot of things.

I also ride with a group of guys that have been riding a solid 10+ years longer than me. There is no doubt in my mind that they are better riders than myself, BUT- on this doo I’ve made it to the top of some summits that they haven’t been able to on their axys sleds. I 100% blame that on the sled.

This doesn’t say much, but I know a handle full of guys that switched from Polaris to doo and won’t go back. I know only 1 person that switched from doo to Polaris that says they won’t switch back. And I know 1 other person that switched from doo to Polaris at the beginning of this season and is not happy one bit, and plans to switch back as soon as he is able.

Like I said I’m not brand loyal at all. I believe all manufacturers have good & bad qualities. And I will say the new 2022 Polaris caught my attention and I came very close to ordering one- but I ended up following my gut and ordered a 2022 turbski instead simply because of how much I love riding my NA doo 850.

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
I have had a number of each brand through the years, so I’m not real biased on brand. My last two sleds have been Doo, and I find it hard to leave Doo’s motor.
Poo has had their latest motor out for 3 years and seems to have a hard time finding a fuel map that works good for everyone. I think they have come out with 5 fuel programs so far.
I called the first morning Poo could be ordered, and was put on a list but I was not one of their main customers so no turbo. If I was selected to receive one of their turbo sleds I think I would have declined.
Paying full retail for an unknown, or getting a discount on a G4 with a proven engine/turbo witch I have no problem going where others I ride with go.
The price difference on the two manufacturers turbo sleds was around 4 grand.
I realize that Doo will probably have a G5 next year so I will give them a year to work out the bugs in that chassis, before I look again at both brands when I purchase my next sled in 2023.
The Doo Expert Turbo was the best choice for me this year.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I have all three brands right now, zero brand loyalty, but do have dealer loyalty. Each sled has its own characteristics that I love about it. If I had to only have one sled right now, it would be the doo factory turbo, purely because of the motor and no race gas. When I have my Polaris factory turbo next season I imagine that’ll be the go to sled.

M
Oct 27, 2020
I have all three brands right now, zero brand loyalty, but do have dealer loyalty. Each sled has its own characteristics that I love about it. If I had to only have one sled right now, it would be the doo factory turbo, purely because of the motor and no race gas. When I have my Polaris factory turbo next season I imagine that’ll be the go to sled.
I’m with you as I have zero bias! I had two 175” expert turbos fall through on me so I had no choice but to wait and snowcheck one. I got lucky and got a boost so decided to go with that but my cousin is snowchecking a 165” Expert turbo so I am very excited to compare them.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I owned more Polaris than SKIDOO. The T MOTION on a SKIDOO will have the most influence on your switch. Please research the T-MOTION and many delete the T MOTION. TMOTION is great as long as the snow is smooth and consistent and has no ruts. The ETEC engine lasts a long long time without replacing the top end ... 4000 miles is not uncommon. The only other think on a SKIDOO is taking off the excess plastic! Parent company BRP has introduced the LYNX brand into the USA. ETEC 850 engine and IMHO best suspension out there. Many believe SKIDOO will introduce a new generation next year .... any thought this year.

R
Nov 16, 2016
I've seen far too many issues over the years for me to be a Polaris fan.
The Austrian built Rotax engine is what originally pulled me towards the Doo. After that, I was able to see the other differences. Fortunately, and by chance only...... I avoided the 2005/2007 REV chassis machines.
I currently own a 2020 850 Summit X. So far, I like it very well.

One of my friends is Polaris loyal. He says that he can't ride a Doo, yet he has not spent any time on a Doo, let alone one of the newer G4 sleds. I'm sure that he will remain Polaris loyal as he just Snow-Checked a new Polaris.

Anther friend has been Polaris loyal for many years. However, just prior to this season he jumped shipped and went back to Doo.
Three of us rode together just last Saturday. He loves his new G4 and says that he will not be going back to Polaris.

Conversely, you can read just the opposite on the Polaris site.

While some might refer to this as the old Chevy/Ford/Dodge thing, I don't quite see it that way.

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
I am a Polaris guy. Couple of years ago I bought an 850 165 ski doo. On the beginning I loved it. Handled easy for me in moderate terrain. As the season went on I noticed for me it was very unpredictable in the more difficult stuff. Possibly with some suspension tuning I may have made it better, but I am not sure. When it gets tough I want my Polaris. I think both have strengths and weaknesses.

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
I would say a Doo is like an enduro bike and a Poo is like a motocross race bike. Doo is more forgiving and is good at more things. Poo is really a side hill king and purpose built. 90% of those riding don't ride any of these sleds to their potential, me included. Lots of people like to blame the t-motion for the Doo turning and heading up hill on a side hill but I think it's the ski. The ski folds back with bad rubbers or design and creates a pivot point. Very bad. My Extreme with the new spindles and rubbers seems to be better and my 18' with grippers and duropro rubbers is even better. The Doo is a bit wider and will panel out before the Poo. I rode Poo most my life but after 7 800 motors or top ends in a combined 6 years of ownership.....I will never again do so. 15k for a throw away top end is not my idea of a good time. Been on Doo since 16' and no motor issues or clutch issues on any of them. I have never been towed back in from a ride since winter of 15/16. Not saying it won't happen but almost every ride this year I saw a Pro or Axys 800 on the end of a rope. If you live to side hill in Burandt country, stay on Poo and keep extra pistons and rings in your shop. If that is only a very small part of the way you ride.....Doo really seems to have a better quality motor in my experience. Good luck.

R
Nov 16, 2016
I rode Poo most my life but after 7 800 engines, or top ends, in a combined 6 years of ownership.....I will never again do so.
15k for a throw away top end is not my idea of a good time.

Been on Doo since 16' and no engine issues or clutch issues on any of them.
I have never been towed back in from a ride since winter of 15/16. Not saying it won't happen but almost every ride this year I saw a Pro or Axys 800 on the end of a rope.

If you live to side hill in Burandt country, stay on Poo and keep extra pistons and rings in your shop.
If that is only a very small part of the way you ride..... Doo really seems to have a better quality engine in my experience.

Well said!

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
All good replies! You CAN make a Doo handle like a Poo. (Ish.) Skis and T-Mo lockout are the two biggest, then play with suspension. I rode a 2018 Freeride the other day after my bud put Mohawks on it, it was amazing. The snow was good and didn't have a chance to ride back to back with my sleds, but the skis felt very good. Consistent and no front end Doo twitch on the sidehill. My bud who is a Poo guy all the way even said that he could ride it after the ski swap and a little bit of suspension tweaking.

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
I'm going to try the Poo Matryx next winter. Have been on two Gen4s and while there's nothing wrong with a them, a lot is left to be desired in technical terrain with the Gen4 chasis. So I'm ready to try something different. Maybe I'll be back to Doo when the Gen5 returns!

duncan76

Lifetime Membership
Aug 16, 2013
central 509
I'm going to try the Poo Matryx next winter. Have been on two Gen4s and while there's nothing wrong with a them, a lot is left to be desired in technical terrain with the Gen4 chasis. So I'm ready to try something different. Maybe I'll be back to Doo when the Gen5 returns!
Returns I didn't even know we had it now I'm pissed I checked a gen 4 turbo ?

BirdmanID

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2019
Idaho falls
Are they setup for you suspension wise and have they had durapro ski rubbers installed and t motion locked out? Those two things dramatically change the g4 chassis.

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
Are they setup for you suspension wise and have they had durapro ski rubbers installed and t motion locked out? Those two things dramatically change the g4 chassis.
Yep. Fox shocks, Tom's e-motion (not a true lockout, but better than stock) and have used both the expert style rubbers and dura pro. It is a fantastic sled in so many ways.

But when in nonstop sidehill situations, the axys is better, so I'm going to give the matryx a go to try something different.

Sorry for the mistyped point on when the Gen5 returns... I was already thinking of when I may return to Doo!

Premium Features