• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Polaris 2.7 track on a g-4

tinkerjohnson

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2008
Southern utah
Are you getting the run around from skidoo, or the dealer? Often times dealers choose to become the ones who deny you because their staff doesn't want to go through the process of getting skidoo customer service involved, shipping things back and forth, etc. Meanwhile, your sled sits in their storage while everyone just waits to hear back from the production defect engineers. In that case, your mad, the dealer gets blamed, and skidoo may just deny the claim. Unfortunately, dealers frequently blame the customer and deny the customer a shot at warranty because it is easy.

Skidoo, the manufacturer, has service reps you can request to speak with. Call skidoo customer service directly or ask the dealer to speak with their zone rep directly. If many sleds have the problem, they will want to know about it. But, your sled has to be under warranty.
I haven’t talked to skidoo directly just the dealer and the other 2 buddies with the same problem. Skidoo claims it’s from riding the trails too fast but we have no other ride without riding the trails in. I know our skidoo rep he lives actually right in town I’ll ask him what’s up

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
From my 2020 Freeride manual:

Hard Packed Snow
The models covered in this guide are built for deep snow conditions
and should never be used during prolonged time in marginal or hard
packed snow conditions.
NOTICE Using mountain models in marginal or hard packed
snow conditions could reduce drastically the lifetime of specific
wear items.
All Models Equipped with Minimum Track Profile
of 44.5mm (1.75 in)
BRP does not recommend to ride a snowmobile equipped with high
lug profile track at high speed in a trail, on hard packed surfaces or
ice for an extended period of time.
In the event that you have to reduce your speed, then minimize the
distance you ride on those surfaces.
NOTICE Running those tracks at high speed in a trail, on hard
packed surfaces or ice put more stress on the lugs, which tend to
heat up as a result. To avoid potential degradation or damage to
the track, reduce your speed, thenminimize the distance you ride
on those surfaces.
_________________ 125
RIDING CONDITIONS AND YOUR SNOWMOBILE
Vehicles Equipped with Ice Scratchers
Ice scratchers are equipped on the vehicle to increase engine cooling
efficiency, to lubricate and to cool track clips and sliders. They must
be used whenever on ice, hard packed snow, or any conditions that
do not lift enough snow particles into the rear suspension/tunnel.
NOTICE Although it is not recommended to ride Summit and
Freeride in trail or hard snow conditions, it is highly suggested to
combine idler wheels with ice scratchers if the vehicle is used in
those conditions.

Track delamination sounds to me like a defect but from reading the forums I know lots of people have been shedding lugs and I wonder how many guys are hauling ass on trails and are not aware of BRP's warning? I typically do about 35 on the necessary evil that is trails but watched plenty of guys last season on late model, long track Skidoos fly by me. I'm thinking they likely lost lugs from that over the season.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Doo tracks fling lugs if ridden too fast on the trail. See it all the time here from guys who run fast getting to the good stuff. Doo won't cover that.
What snow conditions are you guys referring to in the above posts? In my experience, Doo tracks kinda suck in the fluff. Trenchy trenchy. They work great on hard stuff. The Poo 2.6 is an amazing track from what I see where I ride. Another buddy had a 280 on his Cat a few years ago, it was amazing where he could go, but it flung lugs like crazy.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Odd, I didn't see the above post when I wrote mine. 40 used to be my happy spot on groomed trails. Until last year, the 20's ran so well that it was hard to keep it under 50 on the trails/lake.

X
Oct 8, 2009
Doo tracks fling lugs if ridden too fast on the trail. See it all the time here from guys who run fast getting to the good stuff. Doo won't cover that.
What snow conditions are you guys referring to in the above posts? In my experience, Doo tracks kinda suck in the fluff. Trenchy trenchy. They work great on hard stuff. The Poo 2.6 is an amazing track from what I see where I ride. Another buddy had a 280 on his Cat a few years ago, it was amazing where he could go, but it flung lugs like crazy.
This is crazy problem to me. The track speed on my turbo viper with the 174 conquer 280 is bananas, and I never flung a lug off. I pull 80 to 85 mph track speed under full load in a chute. The doo 1200T with the 175 doo track pulls about 75 to 80 mph. These tracks are taking a beating at those speeds. My dad and I ride probably ride at 45 to 50 mph max speed on the way in. The sleds start spiking boost after that and become unrideable.

T
Feb 8, 2010
Nelson, B.C.
I've been interested in the 2.75 as an option for my 2017 154 850 3 inch. Today I spent a bit of time looking at a 2021 Polaris 2.75 track and the first thing I noticed was the track lugs are not 2.75 and in fact are 2.5 inch, they measure from the back of the track. In 2017 Skidoo used to measure their tracks the same way and Cat does as well however in 2018 Skidoo changed and actually has a full 3 inch paddle. I've also noticed that Camso tracks measure actual paddle not paddle and track.
The Polaris track is also softer than the Skidoo track, comparing my 4 year old track with a new Polaris track the Polaris track was softer.
For me my Skidoo 154 3 inch is actually a 2.8 inch paddle and I personally would like to stay in that 2.75-2.8 inch range, I really like it as an all around track.

X
Oct 8, 2009
The lug height of 2.5 is probably incorrect. The belt of a single ply track is not 1/4" thick. Not sure your way off, but it has to be taller than 2.5".

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
This is crazy problem to me. The track speed on my turbo viper with the 174 conquer 280 is bananas, and I never flung a lug off. I pull 80 to 85 mph track speed under full load in a chute. The doo 1200T with the 175 doo track pulls about 75 to 80 mph. These tracks are taking a beating at those speeds. My dad and I ride probably ride at 45 to 50 mph max speed on the way in. The sleds start spiking boost after that and become unrideable.
The difference is that you are in soft snow that cools the track, I am talking about hard groomers where the belt never touches the snow. Stuff gets hot and comes apart.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Ignore the prior post. I felt, I was unintentionally vague. I clarified everything for the benefit of all readers. Forum managers, please delete the prior post.

If you are having a trenching problem with a 280, you are not making enough power/track acceleration from a stop or at low speeds to flex the lugs. That is not a track design issue, it is a characteristic of your sled's power curve. Those tracks are designed with a durometer to hold up to turbo sleds that make significant power over stock without the paddles folding over. The 280 is a great track if you have the power to use it.

And, yes the polaris track has similar lug design technology to it. Albeit, the 2.7 lugs may be softer so as to flex a little more. In speaking with people I know who work at polaris, the 2.7 lugs are designed to cup when flexing so as to hold more snow per lug while reducing rotating mass. That is the same exact design objective as the camso track, which inspired the design team changes to the new track. The differences are in the lug pattern and durometer across the paddles and paddles support columns.

The quirk with a track like a 280 that has new generation lugs, which are designed to form cups under load, is they require sufficient load via track speed to work efficiently. By efficient, I mean each lug starts to form a cup that holds a larger volume (mass) of snow than a traditional flat lug of comparable cross-sectional dimension. That is why camso engineers say the 280 track moves snow mass equivalent to a standard 3" track. While this is true at high track speeds, it is not true at low track speeds. At low speeds and ignoring sufficient track acceleration, the lug functions similar to a flat paddle design with a shorter profile that mechanically has less bite.

Comparatively, the doo track does has more bite on the bottom, so it performs better from a dig because it mechanically has more to surface area to do work with. And if you look at a doo track paddle, they are not 3" paddles by traditional track measurements. By those measures, they are bigger with a 3 and 1/8" profile, which is a true 3" paddle measured from the lug base. While these tracks have a little more mass to spin than a 280, i can say there is effectively no performance loss between the two. In fact, the Doo track is atleast as good as the camso 280 in most all cases and better in others.

Lastly, delamination is a manufacturing problem. You must have got a bad track. The only reason to deviate from a doo track is to save money when buying a new one, but that decision gets rid of a key component that makes the g4 850 perform the way it does.

You are missing a very important point here. Maybe what you are saying here is appropriate for the Doo guy looking to put the series 8 track on his sled but for the 850 Polaris guys their motors have less noticeable torque on the bottom end and more torque mid-range and up. This engine characteristic is best suited to a track that can break loose easier at low speeds to get it spinning. A spinning track will make the sled roll on edge much easier. This is the key to the riding style of a Polaris. If it hooked up from a stop it would tend to push and not roll up. This is why many guys like the series 6 track over the series 7 track. Now the Doo is all torque low down and would spin a steel track if it had it.

X
Oct 8, 2009
You are missing a very important point here. Maybe what you are saying here is appropriate for the Doo guy looking to put the series 8 track on his sled but for the 850 Polaris guys their motors have less noticeable torque on the bottom end and more torque mid-range and up. This engine characteristic is best suited to a track that can break loose easier at low speeds to get it spinning. A spinning track will make the sled roll on edge much easier. This is the key to the riding style of a Polaris. If it hooked up from a stop it would tend to push and not roll up. This is why many guys like the series 6 track over the series 7 track. Now the Doo is all torque low down and would spin a steel track if it had it.
I am not missing that fact. I know that is the case, but Thanks for discussing it. My posts address the fact that more power needs to be applied to get the tracks to perform. And, the person who mentioned the issue has a skidoo, so why would he give up a better track unless there is some durability issue. Obviously, he seems to have one.

Wapow

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
G4 tracks will lose paddles if you ride fast for a sustained period on refrozen snow. Other forms of hardpack may be cause it as well, but refrozen, spring snow is the one that will get ya for sure. Happened to me last year, on my third season on the track. And people on the Doo forums complain about it all the time as well. i am keeping it below 40mph on the hardpack nowadays. Really doesn't bother me. Just something to remember when I'm heading to and from the hill. Would be cool if the Poo track is a winner. Would give us options. Anybody know if it's actually cheaper than the Doo track?

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
G4 tracks will lose paddles if you ride fast for a sustained period on refrozen snow. Other forms of hardpack may be cause it as well, but refrozen, spring snow is the one that will get ya for sure. Happened to me last year, on my third season on the track. And people on the Doo forums complain about it all the time as well. i am keeping it below 40mph on the hardpack nowadays. Really doesn't bother me. Just something to remember when I'm heading to and from the hill. Would be cool if the Poo track is a winner. Would give us options. Anybody know if it's actually cheaper than the Doo track?

Series 8 165 about $1900 CDN.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
There is a 165 2.75 Polaris track on eBay for $1475. I ran the camsno epic 280 last year. It’s almost identical to the 2.75 Polaris track, except it’s 3” pitch. The epic 280 works very well.

Premium Features