• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Polaris 120 - Swapping Drivers?

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Stripped some drive nubs off the track, so going to try the extrovert style drives that drive off the track clips.

Any good tips, tricks, or stuff you wish you'd known for getting the driveshaft in/out on these things? Haven't had a chance to look at it much but going to drive into it this weekend. Thanks!

T
Mar 13, 2019
it's pretty simple. Just watch how far the shaft sticks out into the bearing on the non drive side. If you have a quick change hub it makes it even easier, if not I think the rivets and cowl need to be pulled off on the drive side to get enough room to get the gear out.

I also had to trim the skid as the drivers are slightly bigger. I think they mention that in the install instruction,

I installed nut inserts on the gear cover for easy removal at the same time.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Thanks man! Instructions mention to trim the hyfax and rails at the *rear* of skid...I can’t wrap my head around what that’s going to accomplish? Any thoughts?

T
Mar 13, 2019
Thanks man! Instructions mention to trim the hyfax and rails at the *rear* of skid...I can’t wrap my head around what that’s going to accomplish? Any thoughts?

Ya, it will most likely just be the hyfax you have to trim. And I think I cut ours on a 45* The new driver is slightly bigger then the old one and it in turn shortens the track. You will have to move the rear wheels all the way forward and the hyfax will stick out past the curve of the wheel on the back side.

Here's a picture. Just cut the hyfax indicated by the red arrow to match the skid when you have it out. It's sticks too far out.

T
Mar 13, 2019
Oh, I forgot to mention, you want to run your track loose. Like way loose. These drivers are awesome and won't ratchet and a big reason why the wheels are so far forward. Loose is fast and on these little sleds every little bit helps.

Don't forget to oil your chain after every ride and oil the clutch bushing every two hours (or grease daily if it has the grease zerk). It makes a crazy amount of difference on the sleds performance.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Thanks really appreciate the detailed replies! Hard to find info on specific jobs on these little things. Got drivers done, bit of a job but could do it much quicker the 2nd time lol. The extro’s from rec supply are a nice looking part. Upgraded clutch, sprockets, chain at the same time. Can’t wait to try it out

I guessed on chain tension...not zinging tight, maybe 3/8” max free play on top. In the wheelhouse?

T
Mar 13, 2019
Ya, it's always easier on the second go around!

about right on the chain tension. I tend to go pretty tight, up to 1/4" watching for the high spot on the gear. Then mark the gear so I can easily adjust to that spot.

We switched to 35 chain and I am guessing It stretches a half link in about 20 hours of use?? Not a big deal as I'm using steel gears and chain is cheap so I just swap it out. I also found that the geared tensionor works WAY better then the flat wheel.

Premium Features