• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Plugs fouling

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Mine fouled plugs on very cold morning starts. In one week I changed 3 times in a row. On the 4th day I held the throttle open some and the sled started. has anyone else tried holding the throttle? My buddy said the fuel was running out of my exhaust
This makes it look like the problem is with the tune. When the pipe is cold the ECM would go in a cold start mode like putting on the "Choke". Well over-doing it I presume. On a cold morning it would be interesting if you pulled the pipe and can sensors out and warmed them with a heat gun, then tried starting. I bet it would fire right up. All these problems could be due to a temperature sensor that is out of range, when cold. You could also learn which of the 2 sensors was responsible for telling the ECM that the motor needed "Choke"

S
Feb 12, 2022
Canada
This makes it look like the problem is with the tune. When the pipe is cold the ECM would go in a cold start mode like putting on the "Choke". Well over-doing it I presume. On a cold morning it would be interesting if you pulled the pipe and can sensors out and warmed them with a heat gun, then tried starting. I bet it would fire right up. All these problems could be due to a temperature sensor that is out of range, when cold. You could also learn which of the 2 sensors was responsible for telling the ECM that the motor needed "Choke"
I thought of this as well. But my sled is stored in a heated garage. So it’s already pre heated !

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Mine fouled plugs on very cold morning starts. In one week I changed 3 times in a row. On the 4th day I held the throttle open some and the sled started. has anyone else tried holding the throttle? My buddy said the fuel was running out of my exhaust
I did hear a dealer respond to one guy that he thought there was a leaky injector alowing the cyclider to fill with gas. Something like that should be easy enough to check. Pull the injectors to see if one is weeping or secondly I bet the fuel rail should stay somewhat pressurized for some time after shutting off the motor. Just not sure if there is a pressure port for testing?

Ex-Flit

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
North Branch, MN
I did hear a dealer respond to one guy that he thought there was a leaky injector alowing the cyclider to fill with gas. Something like that should be easy enough to check. Pull the injectors to see if one is weeping or secondly I bet the fuel rail should stay somewhat pressurized for some time after shutting off the motor. Just not sure if there is a pressure port for testing?
Mine is stored inside a heated shop as well so I have never had it happen before. The only time was when it was around zero degrees. Otherwise it would start fine. The other problem I have is low idle and doesn't want to go into reverse. It only happens out west and mostly in the morning when we first take off from the trailer. At home (MN) I haven't had these problems. I have a 2021 pro rmk, my dealer told me that it would run rich and leave oil spots in the snow, but I haven't seen that. Mine runs crisp and when I pulled plug they were nice and light brown at 700 plus miles.

pepperhouse

Premium Member
Jan 28, 2010
On another forum guys have found that changing the coils fixes the problem. It is unclear if the probem actually resides in the wires or the caps but switching was the fix. These are the same coils going back years so finding a set to try should be relatively easy. My 2019 has been flawless but did run a bit fat with the early flashes. I ran hotter plugs for one season and it worked well. I know 2 guys who also were fouling plugs and went to 2 heat ranges hotter and now no problem. BPRES7 is what they used. I ran 6's but make sure you get a solid top or you will be cursing. It seems the coils (or associated caps and wires) are just providing a weak spark that allows for easy fouling. The hotter plugs resist fouling.
Polaris will not tell you it is okay to try different plugs but I do what works.
Yup ran the non solid top one ride and had to dig it out of the plug cap after.

Premium Features