• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Picking up 12 volts from electrical system...... 2020 Summit X 154

R
Nov 16, 2016
We enjoy night riding at one of our favorite lodging destinations.
My son-in-law bought LED strip light kits for our entire group.

My new 2020 Summit X has the Shot System and also a 12 volt power port in the glove box area.
I would like to pick up 12 v from other than the power port.

Do any of you know where I can safely pick up 12 v without causing any damage or over-load to the circuit that I would tap into?

Considerations:

... tap into tail light circuit.
... tap into the power port supply.
... tap into a circuit near the Shot System capacitor. ???

Thanks in advance
Rick E.

R
Nov 16, 2016
Update!

For my LED 12 volt power, I chose to tap into my glove box located 12 v power port.
It was very simple and easy to do.

I was able to fish a loom protected circuit (Pos and Neg) down from the steering column area and out near the side of the fuel tank. From there it follows the grove between the fuel tank and the tunnel and back to what Skidoo calls a "battery box" area.
I installed the LED controller, remote control antenna and the daisy-chained wire harnesses in that area.

Since we cannot screw mount anything in this area (heat exchanger and fuel tank), I used Gorilla Tape to hold these items in place.
I picked up the cover for the battery box as to enclose everything.

I ended up with 6 LED strip lights (3 per side), and 6 wires exiting the area..... (also 3 per side).
Portions of the 3-grouped-wires are neatly secured to the side of the tunnel with small plastic single screw wire loom clamps.

Given that the wires cannot be completely concealed, all in all it looks fairly clean.

If anyone is interested in seeing how I did this, I'll post a few photos.

R
Nov 16, 2016
Here we go.... this is much better!

I think that I spent as much or more time trying to figure out how I was going to run the circuits than I did actually doing the work.
I need to do LEDs on three more machines, and then I'm done!

LED light circuit routing.jpgLED light circuit routing 2 .jpg

LED light circuit routing.jpg LED light circuit routing 2 .jpg

Last edited:
R
Nov 16, 2016
Lastly, I ran the circuit forward for controller On/Off switch. I wasn't quite sure where to place it.
After giving it a bit more thought.... I found a good place for it.

LED light circuit routing 3 .jpg

Premium Features