• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Petamo or Isoflex grease question

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I haven't kept up on Ski-doo technology since I had my 99 Summit-X 670. Prior to that I had a 95 670. Both had approx 5,000 miles without any engine issues. My 92 580(3?) never had any issues either. Great sleds. In 2005 I bought a 900 Mtn Cat and have been on Cat since then, buying a 10 M8 which I'm still riding with approx 4,200 trouble free miles. I never had to disassemble the engines on any of these sleds.

Looking to upgrade but undecided what brand to go with. I want something that is hopefully as durable and trouble-free as my previous sleds.

I believe in 2008, the Summit 800 crankshaft bearings required service around the 2,500 mile mark to repack with Petamo and Isoflex grease. I may be wrong, but I believe there were crank issues, esp for people who didn't perform this maintenance. Maybe no issues for ones who did, I don't know.

Looking at parts fiches, it looks like these greases are not listed for the 800 cranks from 2012-2017. Not sure if the cranks still required regular maintenance.

With the 850 engine in 2017, I see Petamo grease on the fiche.

Does this mean the new 850's require routine crankshaft regreasing to replace the Petamo grease?

Skidoox

Lifetime Membership
Sep 4, 2001
Provo, UT
No the Ski doo 850 engine do not use Isoflex grease for the bearings. The bearings get oiled from the 2 stroke oil system.

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
The Petamo grease is a lubricant for crank seals.All modern 800's use isoflex. I buy it from the dealer in bulk. It comes in a container similar in size to a tub of wheel bearing grease, and is a dam sight cheaper, as opposed to the small tubes they sell

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
No they just want replacement seals lubed up before installing. I've been rebuilding Rotax motors for a lot of years, never used Petamo, just a quick wipe of vasoline. 850 is a great motor, but like all modern sled motors, I wouldn't own one without warranty. Replacement parts are prohibitively expensive

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
No the Ski doo 850 engine do not use Isoflex grease for the bearings. The bearings get oiled from the 2 stroke oil system.

That is the first time that I seen the bearing set-up on this motor.
I was wondering what they were using.

A split roller - gotta say - I never seen that before!

I'm guessing that Doo didn't pioneer that part of it.
Has Automotive or other been using that type bearing for a while elsewhere?
Or maybe bikes?

Premium Features