• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

People and there safety in avy country

T
May 7, 2017
We just lost 3 guys here in MT. in the swan Valley to a avy. None of them had any safety devices on no shovels ,probes, packs or beacons. I talk to alot of people about this stuff most say that safety equipment is way to expensive to buy. Like me I'm not rich by no means live day to day working for the paycheck not having the money to buy it I still ride. I have all but a avy back pack. I know that having this equipment is very important but if people can't afford a 1000$ backpack they are going to ride anyway like myself although I don't ride where my instincts tell me not to. I guess the hole reason for this is why is safety equipment so damn expensive,where and how do they figure it to be worth that much when the materials used are not worth what they want for them. God bless those three souls rest in peace fellas. Sad day here and anger is a push to this topic.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

john6719

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2014
RIP. Hate hearing this news.

To directly address your question, I think risk and volume are the drivers for the price. Let’s say a company sells 1,000 bags at $500 GM (likely a stretch for both), that would maybe leave $300k operating margin. Now let’s say someone sues them because a person wearing their pack dies. They don’t need to be at fault to rack up a million in legal fees...

I’m a believer in “something is better than nothing”. For instance, if you know you have a limit of $400 (just making up a number) for Avy gear, I’d shop around and find the best probe, beacon, shovel, and pack I could find for $400... or spend $300 on all but an airbag and put the other $100 to renting one. Used equipment isn’t usually junk. You can refill canisters, test the bags, etc. I’d rather have a bag on that I’m 50% sure will inflate when I need it than none at all... yes, I’d love to have the best of the best, but sometimes that’s not in the cards. And no matter what, your educated decisions will keep you alive a lot longer than any other item.

J
Mar 8, 2019
This happens far to much we had multiple deaths last year in Utah and I don’t believe any of them had beacons on(I’m sure I’m wrong). I’m at the point where I won’t ride anyone who doesn’t have a beacon shovel and probe. These can be had in a package deal for under 400 please get one. I also believe common sense goes along ways when conditions are elevated treat every hill as a threat nothing is more important than going home at the end of the day.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
RIP! Hope it was a boomer day for those boys at least...
I think part of the deal now, vs say 10-20 years ago is all those early powder sleds that us old guys spent a lot of money on and was a more major accomplishment to get way back in the back country or up a lot of avy prone hills, are now plentiful and dime a dozen where anyone who can rub 2 nickels together can have a super powerful long track machine.
Guessing many folks who can only afford $2k sled may not be as dedicated or saavy about the back country .
Good news is, you can typically find a used beacon on CL super cheap, and I bought an avy pack online for like $400 a few years ago
Get some good safety gear and know how to use it guys!

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
We just lost 3 guys here in MT. in the swan Valley to a avy. None of them had any safety devices on no shovels ,probes, packs or beacons. I talk to alot of people about this stuff most say that safety equipment is way to expensive to buy. Like me I'm not rich by no means live day to day working for the paycheck not having the money to buy it I still ride. I have all but a avy back pack. I know that having this equipment is very important but if people can't afford a 1000$ backpack they are going to ride anyway like myself although I don't ride where my instincts tell me not to. I guess the hole reason for this is why is safety equipment so damn expensive,where and how do they figure it to be worth that much when the materials used are not worth what they want for them. God bless those three souls rest in peace fellas. Sad day here and anger is a push to this topic.

The guys at Dinah?
Very tough day on the mountain, and I'm very sorry for the families involved. However, your information isn't quite accurate.

T
May 7, 2017
I'm figuring that out here it was 2 guys the info that came out first was not accurate people had been listening to scanners and putting on net. First info come out was not correct. Thank god. Still the lose of life is not something that I take to lightly. My wife knew the guys that got caught up in the avy so it hit hard here at home. I now know the truth but still don't bring them back or solve it. My wife kept saying those guys were always hardcore and had gear why didn't they have it on didn't set well with us still hearing different stories. I should of edited my post but didn't want to deal with the no this happened this or that way. Cuz there is no words that can help the lose of the family's. Sorry if you feel mislead didn't mean for it to be like that. Still a sad start to the new year.

Premium Features