• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Part out or repair?

U
Nov 26, 2007
Motor shot on my 2016. Have been Wanting to upgrade to newer sled even before motor issues.

Further ahead fixing and selling or just part out?

Minimally I need pistons, head, cylinders.

R
Jan 25, 2022
Boise
Top end should be less than $1000. Rebuild it and sell. You could sell it for $8k ish. Parting it out would be hard to get that much back and take a long time.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
You're looking at $900.00 for pistons, o-rings, gaskets. $1,200 for cylinders, and $200 for the head plus $600 for labor unless you're a do it yourselfer. Hopefully your crank and cases are OK. In my opinion you will be lucky to get $6,500 if your sled is pristine. Good Luck!

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Around here, $6000 seems to be the minimum for a decent running AXYS. Last fall, it would have been a great deal. You might want to list it as-is at a high (but reasonable) price; $4000 at most. Being a project isn't as big a deal when people are mostly going to be buying it for next season anyway. Top dollar is going to be either parting it out (especially if it's got upgrades) or fixing it yourself over the summer to sell in season. It really depends on what you're prepared for though. If you're not big into wrenching, and listing and packing parts and avoiding scammers is new to you, unloading it might make the most sense.

Last edited:
R
Jan 25, 2022
Boise
You're looking at $900.00 for pistons, o-rings, gaskets. $1,200 for cylinders, and $200 for the head plus $600 for labor unless you're a do it yourselfer. Hopefully your crank and cases are OK. In my opinion you will be lucky to get $6,500 if your sled is pristine. Good Luck!
Around here, $6000 seems to be the minimum for a decent running AXYS. Last fall, it would have been a great deal. You might want to list it as-is at a high (but reasonable) price; $4000 at most. Being a project isn't as big a deal when people are mostly going to be buying it for next season anyway. Top dollar is going to be either parting it out (especially if it's got upgrades) or fixing it yourself over the summer to sell in season. It really depends on what you're prepared for though. If you're not be into wrenching, and listing and packing parts and avoiding scammers is new to you, unloading it might make the most sense.
Apparently I need to be shopping in your guys neck of the woods because the avg asking price range for a 2016-2018 Axys is $7500-$9000 around Boise. That range seems to have been pretty steady since last fall. I am on craigslist and FB Marketplace A LOT and I have not seen any Axys sleds for $6000. The only one even remotely close to that was only running on 1 cylinder with like 5000 miles. The cheapest Axys on CL right now is a 2017 assault with 1800mi for $7500.

R
Jan 25, 2022
Boise
I just bought a whole rebuilt 2017 engine for $2400 from IMS in Nampa. Plug and play. I think you're over estimating the cost of a top end and undervaluing his sled with a rebuilt motor honestly.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Keep in mind, I'm talking about what people are paying, not just asking prices. Here's a couple I'm seeing listed near me: a '17 155 for $7k, but with high miles on the engine (https://billings.craigslist.org/snw/d/laurel-2017-polaris-axys-cc/7452891136.html), an '18 with low miles for $8k (https://billings.craigslist.org/snw/d/sheridan-2018-polaris-rmk-800/7448322773.html), plus there are a couple more in the $7-8k range and a few way overpriced in the $10-12k range. Also, that's $6000 now, as the season is winding down and hasn't been that great. If someone paid $6000 for an AXYS that wasn't a mogral in the fall or early winter, they got a great deal. The way things are now, if you had $6k in cash, I bet you'd find a deal on a decent sled before long.

There is a pretty big range you could be dealing with on the motor. If it's a typical top end failure, you might be able to have your cylinder repaired and re-plated (and it may not need more than cleaning and a light hone). On the other hand, if the bottom end needs attention too, that can easily double the cost. If it's a simple top end job, $1000 sounds about right, and it's probably worth it; any more, and I'd lean towards parting it or unloading it as-is.

R
Jan 25, 2022
Boise
I just went through the same thing with my sled. Blew up the engine and didn't know where to go or what to do. I replaced the whole engine myself for like $2500 after plugs/misc parts/coolant etc. If you replaced your engine for $2500 and then sold it for $7500-$8000 next fall you'd net $5000-$5500 to upgrade. I don't think you could part your sled out for more than like $3000-$3500 honestly. And it's a long slow process to get the whole sled parted out and sold either locally or on eBay because people will only buy the higher fail/ware stock items first ie... suspension, track, body panels, bumpers, etc. A good running used engine would be the biggest ticket item and unfortunately you've probably only got a good core/bottom end.

I think Beartooth is right you could probably offload the sled as is as a project for realistically like $4000 to put towards your upgrade if you went that route.

If it's just a top end you would probably be looking at like $1000-$1250 all in assuming you do the work yourself. Then if you sell for say $7000(because a rebuilt top end probably won't pull as much as a full rebuilt motor with a warranty); you'd net $5750-$6000 towards your upgrade.

So to summarize.
Rebuild engine for $2500 and sell for $7500 = net $5000
Rebuild top end for $1250 and sell for $7000 = net $5750
Sell as is = net $4000
Part out = net $3000-3500, maybe, after a lot of work, and assuming every piece sells.

Really depends on how much work you want to do/are capable of doing yourself.

Where are you located? https://www.idahomotorcyclespecialties.com/ Give these dudes a call, they were super helpful and got me a full rebuild for like $2200 after I gave them back my core.

U
Nov 26, 2007
I ended up finding a completely rebuilt engine out of a 2017. I hustled to swap it in so I could get some more riding in this year.

I think it’ll work out well as now I have a fresh engine in a sled that’s in good shape . it should sell for decent enough $$$$ toward a newer one for me

I also have a pile of stuff from my old engine to sell as the rebuild came with everything, I should be able to recoup a lot of the $$$$.

For sale:

Recoil
Stator
Throttle bodies
Oil pump
Crank
Cases
Reeds
EV valves
Temp sensor
Det sensor

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Good deal; wasn't sure if you had a backup or not, but there's still snow out there. It must be easier to find 800HO engines than the Pro 800; I'd looked at buying one with a bad motor and putting a new one in, and a good motor for a Pro is pretty much always worth more than the rest of the sled. Of course, when the most the sled will ever sell for is around $5000, the math changes quite a bit. Trying to get top dollar out of a blown sled is a game of pick you poison, but given that you're still looking to ride this season, I think you made the right choice. A good motor puts you in a good place to sell and upgrade next season, or just ride it for another year.

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
I ended up finding a completely rebuilt engine out of a 2017. I hustled to swap it in so I could get some more riding in this year.

I think it’ll work out well as now I have a fresh engine in a sled that’s in good shape . it should sell for decent enough $$$$ toward a newer one for me

I also have a pile of stuff from my old engine to sell as the rebuild came with everything, I should be able to recoup a lot of the $$$$.

For sale:

Recoil
Stator
Throttle bodies
Oil pump
Crank
Cases
Reeds
EV valves
Temp sensor
Det sensor
Interested in the crank. Pm me with a price.

Premium Features