• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Parking lot stand

T
Jan 26, 2019
Pemberton BC
Has anyone figured out a simple stand for the dreaded off camber icy parking lot?
I have probably done more damage to my bike from it falling over parked on icy parking lots than anything else. Being that I live in coastal BC the staging area is often a skating rink. Add to that I ride a lot of out of the way spots where staging is limited and far from flat.
I've been thinking there must be a way to make some kind of stand to keep the bike from falling over when getting your **** together.
Has anyone come up with any good ideas?
Best I can come up with is maybe building a little box wider than the frame rails to slide under like a stand. Haven't tried it yet, seems like a bulky solution...

T
Jan 26, 2019
Pemberton BC
Telescopic ski pole jammed in there like an outrigger? Maybe?

M5

Could work for some conditions..
But my real issue is with skating rink like ice. Don't think a ski pole would get much penetration. But I like the idea of using some kind of pole like you would with a stick in the summer. Maybe something with some kind of claw welded on the end.....

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Has anyone figured out a simple stand for the dreaded off camber icy parking lot?
I have probably done more damage to my bike from it falling over parked on icy parking lots than anything else. Being that I live in coastal BC the staging area is often a skating rink. Add to that I ride a lot of out of the way spots where staging is limited and far from flat.
I've been thinking there must be a way to make some kind of stand to keep the bike from falling over when getting your **** together.
Has anyone come up with any good ideas?
Best I can come up with is maybe building a little box wider than the frame rails to slide under like a stand. Haven't tried it yet, seems like a bulky solution...

One guy has a swingarm crane in his truck.

Hoists the bike out and leaves it connected till he rides away.

A
Jan 18, 2018
If you don't want to buy a swingarm crane for your truck...

Make a little crutch. Sharpened steel point. Length so you could wedge it under your peg or in one of the windows in the side of the track kit.

We don't get ice like that in California, so I'm just making this up as I go along. Let us know what works for you!

T
Jan 26, 2019
Pemberton BC
If you don't want to buy a swingarm crane for your truck...

Make a little crutch. Sharpened steel point. Length so you could wedge it under your peg or in one of the windows in the side of the track kit.

We don't get ice like that in California, so I'm just making this up as I go along. Let us know what works for you!

Yeah if I was keeping it by my truck then I would just use a tie down like in the summer. The issue is mostly parking the bike before I get the wheel kit on. Unloading it stays up decent with the wheel kit, I can get ready take wheels off and go.
I'm thinking a bit of flat stock on the bottom of pole with some spikes/ studs at the bottom of it. A single point is still iffy.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Just use an old race gas can or regular dirt bike stand then throw it in the back of your truck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Put a kick stand on it , not only for peace of bind walking away from but when the temps are nasty you can pivot it on the stand and warm the machine while loosening the skid .

That part you don't need a parking lot just something under the stand .

Watch , someone will come out with it or an accessory :)IMG_20210226_102500817.jpg

Last edited:
T
Jan 26, 2019
Pemberton BC
Put a kick stand on it , not only for peace of bind walking away from but when the temps are nasty you can pivot it on the stand and warm the machine while loosening the skid .

That part you don't need a parking lot just something under the stand .

Watch , someone will come out with it or an accessory :)View attachment 368610

I didn't think a kickstand would work but you just proved me wrong. I even think I have one kicking around that came on my kx500.
I am surprised nobody has come out with something. Too bad since it's for snowbikes it will be a million dollars.

jrlastofthebreed

It seemed like a good idea at the time
Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2016
Coeur d'Alene ID
I use this wooden stands in the truck so the ramp will slide in and out easier and clear the track. I also use them when the bikes are in the shop so you can get on and off them without tipping over. Never used in a parking lot but im sure they would work. Just some 2x4's screwed to a board.

Screen Shot 2021-03-24 at 7.59.35 AM.png

Premium Features