• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Oxbow Renegade Radios - Anyone Try These?

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
Has anyone tried out these new Oxbow Renegade radios? I got an ad for them on FB and they look like a good alternative to the more expensive BCA radios.
Supposed to be the same power (2w) but I think the fact that the radio itself is outside of your backpack would help with range issues that sometimes hinder the BCA. They look to be designed for snowmobile use, but I can't find much for reviews on them.

Sled Solutions

SnoWest Forums Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Traverse City, MI
www.sledsolutions.com
Has anyone tried out these new Oxbow Renegade radios? I got an ad for them on FB and they look like a good alternative to the more expensive BCA radios.
Supposed to be the same power (2w) but I think the fact that the radio itself is outside of your backpack would help with range issues that sometimes hinder the BCA. They look to be designed for snowmobile use, but I can't find much for reviews on them.

I have. Unfortunately not a ton since the snow is still non-existent here and they showed up after hunting season. Before we sold them I wanted to make sure they performed so I've done some minor testing.

Range with my wife in the house and me in a side x side at 6/10ths of a mile we could still hear each other with some static. The terrain between us was flat but heavily wooded so in some western conditions I think a mile isn't out of the question. We do have another shipment inbound right now if you decide to buy some....

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
I have. Unfortunately not a ton since the snow is still non-existent here and they showed up after hunting season. Before we sold them I wanted to make sure they performed so I've done some minor testing.

Range with my wife in the house and me in a side x side at 6/10ths of a mile we could still hear each other with some static. The terrain between us was flat but heavily wooded so in some western conditions I think a mile isn't out of the question. We do have another shipment inbound right now if you decide to buy some....
Thanks! I actually have a bca but I'm trying to convince some of my family members to upgrade to newer radios and this seems to be a cheaper solution than the bca. They've all got older motorola radios that they spent hundreds on and they don't want to give them up but they don't work with the new ones.

Sled Solutions

SnoWest Forums Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Traverse City, MI
www.sledsolutions.com
Thanks! I actually have a bca but I'm trying to convince some of my family members to upgrade to newer radios and this seems to be a cheaper solution than the bca. They've all got older motorola radios that they spent hundreds on and they don't want to give them up but they don't work with the new ones.

Yes, so many of us had the Motorola Talk Abouts back in the day. So far I'm liking these Oxbow radios, especially the price....

TreewellDweller

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
McCall, Idaho
I purchased a pair of these at the Idaho Snowshow. They are light weight and stay attached to your backpack strap quite well. The one major selling point that attracted me was the voice activation mode (vox) or hands free operation. Unfortunately, a stock snowmobile will activate the mic at 1/2-3/4 throttle no matter the sensitivity setting you use. There must have been a lot of these sold to folks in our area because now there is hardly a channel that doesn’t have someone’s motor racing on it. This situation caused us to have trouble finding a stuck riding partner since the radio air waves were used up by all of the racing motor sounds. So, the vox mode is useless on these for snowmobiling, sorry to say.

Last edited:
Premium Features