• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Overheat Issues - 2022 Expert Turbo Short Tunnel

snow-doo

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Atascadero Ca
How many of you guys can ride from your location right to deep snow without any trail?I agree that the expert is for deeep snow but you have to get to it first.I posted before that the 2015 Summit x I had would overheat due to the heat exchanger being shortened on that model,added 3sets of scratchers and that took care of that.Rough year for snow,rougher year for fuel prices.Hope the23’s are very fuel conscious,that is if they deliver before February This has nothing to due with the overheat problem hardly at all but I like to stir the pot

Alright so I want the performance. I have added the flap. Will test and go from there. Probably will solve this whole discussion from others experiences but who knows. Might even ditch BRP as a result. If not I’ll sit on the side of the trail, pack it with snow, and wait for it to cool while the rest of the crew rides the peaks until I can get there. I’ll even put a smile on a wave other riders by ?? Don’t take this as sarcasm either. Honest truth. Thanks everyone for the input and discussion. Signing out! ??

snow-doo

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Atascadero Ca
Add the snow flap and the extra scratchers and it will make a big difference,the scratchers have to get the chips to the flap,Good Luck keep on riding

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
We use the snow flap, factory scratchers as well as the tunnel mount scratchers which have a very large end and kick up plenty of snow/ice.
The rubber arms of the snow flap need to be pushed together as much as possible and secured with a bungee or similar. This keeps it out of the track.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Alright so I want the performance. I have added the flap. Will test and go from there. Probably will solve this whole discussion from others experiences but who knows. Might even ditch BRP as a result. If not I’ll sit on the side of the trail, pack it with snow, and wait for it to cool while the rest of the crew rides the peaks until I can get there. I’ll even put a smile on a wave other riders by Don’t take this as sarcasm either. Honest truth. Thanks everyone for the input and discussion. Signing out!

The snow flap is going to help you alot, I reread what you wrote on your OP and I didn’t notice at first that you had not used it yet.
My issues also come from not having a flap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red Stripe

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2010
Slick City, UT
I drag a foot on the trail and have scratchers down. It sucks sometimes but hey that's what you get with a short tunnel and a 3" paddle.
Yep, early riding this year elicited overheat without careful management. (2022 165 expert turbo) I bought the snowflap, drag a foot, scratchers down on the trail and problem was solved. To some of the people who post here- I think it's kind of silly to think you expect a deep snow sled to perform on the trail when it's icy/****ty and then expect it to be full performance in the pow. It's always a trade off. Just like dirt bikes, tires, etc., you purchase certain things for certain performances expected, there is no do all perfect outdoor product, everything is specialized when you get in to high end stuff.... Just my .02

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
If you spent between $18-20,000 on a machine ,what is another couple hundred bucks to keep it cool.The factory could easily add it to the price but every oz. counts in the mountain wars on weight, and if you cook your engine for some reason that gives you a chance to fight with the factory on a warranty claim.It is all good ,like i previously stated Norona owns the one that doesn't overheat.I ride in several different parts of the west and almost every time have to use a trail and this year just happens to be a very tough go with the snow.A snow flap and over the top scratchers cure a lot of evil.;)
Norona has experience with many types of snow conditions. Therefore, he can manage his cooling appropriately. It’s not rocket science. No flap, overheat. No scratchers, overheat. Wrong speed on trail, overheat. Haha. Come on millenniums, u can do this. Everybody gets a prize!!

S
Mar 17, 2008
Norona has experience with many types of snow conditions. Therefore, he can manage his cooling appropriately. It’s not rocket science. No flap, overheat. No scratchers, overheat. Wrong speed on trail, overheat. Haha. Come on millenniums, u can do this. Everybody gets a prize!!
well Said….all this for a snowflap…..lol

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
well Said….all this for a snowflap…..lol
Well, it would be great if that snow flap was better designed so it didn't get sucked into your track. That would improve it's cooling potential a lot!

K
Apr 12, 2018
I spent $23,000 on a top of the line machine that can’t get up the mountain on the trails because the motor wants to melt down. It’s like buying an airplane that performs with the best of them in the sky but can’t take off or maybe a high performance sports car that’s unstoppable on the track but won’t idle. A machine needs to complete its job from ignition on to ignition off in my opinion. Cheating spec sheets by omitting necessary equipment for proper vehicle operation is a shady business practice.
Ski doo and Polaris are no different than buying a Harley. They make money on selling the accessories.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
I like to see 125 or so on the display ,I stop at 155 and throw snow on tunnel , 165-3in track ,no cooling fins on cooler is poor design , I use two sets of scratchers, How hot is too hot?
Are you using the snow flap too or just two sets of scratchers?

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
The shorter tunnel has less cooling capacity,
Also having a tunnel bag on the top doesn’t help any cooling unfortunately.
Staying off the boost also help on the trail in these sticky conditions.
I’m surprised your having issues at Renshaw tho, carrying speed helps and that’s a good trail to do it on.
shorter tunnel does not have less cooling capability. Tunnel Bag has no effect since it is not on the tunnel. Stying off boost has no effect as actually with turbo more heat is used up with the turbo which is why the can does not get as hot as a N/A. The issue is if the trail is firm that the scratchers and any snow /ice that is kicked up goes flying right out the back of the sled, you need to have the accessory snowflap and that will change it all. drop at the top with fuel or throw in a tree and pick up on way out, also use a strap if riding in whooped trails to hold the flap out so it does not injest into the tack.

snow-doo

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Atascadero Ca
Why doesn’t that fancy strap you have come with the snowflap when you buy it to keep it out of the track? I have responded to this before.Your answer is the same each time though.Perfect

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Can you just use a heat gun to bend the flap back a bit to keep it from getting sucked into the track?

Premium Features