• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ordered a "Ride208" radio system

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Ordered a { 208 Ride Radio }

What antenna did he include in your kit ?
Kinda surprised that it was a much shorter whip antenna than I was expecting.
I think the ideal antenna might be a 1/2 wave soft antenna.
But I wanted to order a unit as they offer it to their customers, so I will fire it up and give it a good test soon and then report back.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Someone needs to slap me around a bit

I have the radios sitting on my bench.
Hoping to get my older son out on the mountain with me this week so we can do some structured tests in either Driggs or Island Park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
306a4f1d642b73fd65b7c0e4759f97bb.jpg

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I will get to work installing the headphones and mic in a pair of helmets this afternoon in preparation of taking the radios out for a field test just as soon as I Cana range it

T

Thielio20

Oct 6, 2018
Interior, AK
I will get to work installing the headphones and mic in a pair of helmets this afternoon in preparation of taking the radios out for a field test just as soon as I Cana range it

Following. I bought two 10w units from him this past summer for my girlfriend and me. We used them 2 different weekends with the pre-programmed coding with friends being on BCA's and so far great. I do need to do more research just on it's capabilities, like switching to radio stations! and being able to manually pick channels if my BCA friends stray from the standard A-G channels. We got the standard kits with the shorter antennas and hand mic's with frogskinz and were able to pick up radio chatter that the BCAs weren't getting.

The amount of info on HAM radios can be dizzying.

Looking forward to seeing your full report!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
First trial run was a failure.
We were unable to get the two radios to talk to each other.
I did not have the manual with me on the mountain to play with it and we were dealing with dual sled carnage that day.
But it felt like the radios were in the wrong mode.
Non-Voice was my guess.
I have NOT made the time to fool with them in my garage yet.

I suspect it is nothing more than the two of them not being set properly.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
I am not sure what makes one radio better than another but you really only have a few options as for as frequency and wattage. You have FRS and GMRS. GMRS can go up to 5 watt. The frequencies higher than GMRS are stornger but are HAM which require you to have a liscense. I have had good luck with my BCA 1 for the most part. My bouddies seem to struggle the BCA 1 or 2. I think a lot of it has to do with too many people Keying up at the same time. The closest to you will win with any radio band. Even if they are not in your group. Or they start talking at the same time the key up the mic. Have to give it a second. Like I when using the same frequency and wattage I am not sure what makes one radio better than another. Anyone?

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
It looks like a rebranded BaoFeng
They are.
My understanding is,
The guy selling them does the programming, sources quality accesories such as antennas and mic's for the best results in the field.
Packages it all together for for a plug and play system.
He should be compensated for his time.

Sent it

Premium Features