• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Opinions wanted on ICE-AGE Elevate kits for twin rail Cats

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Thanks Kidwoo! I will do so.

Just fyi if you have a coil: I pulled my skid out to figure a few things out. The leverage ratio of shock travel to arm travel on my 2016 is 1:2. So a half inch longer shock eyelet will give you a one inch rise in the skid. I don't know enough about what your skid setup is but that's mine with stock 2016 stuff.

I'm going to measure out the air shock moved forward version in the next day or two.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
I bought an '18 recently, with bent rails. Bought an elevate. So I never got to ride it stock, but it works very well. Didn't feel any less nimble than the '20 Alpha I hopped on (granted, that sled isn't running right) or the single rail converted (and elevated) '17 mtn cat in the group last weekend. I found myself over riding the sled often, trying to adapt to a new chassis. I'm coming off an XM and find this easier to ride in the neutral position, where I'm normally going wrong foot forward frequently. Compared to the well setup '16 limited that was also in the group it gets up on the snow better and is generally easier to ride & less planted.

Very stoked to be on a Cat now, this sled absolutely stomps my old Doo. Both the elevate kit and the '18 were money well spent.

F

Fack

Nov 28, 2007
Does anyone have experience with trying to use the elevate spindles in conjunction with a k mod skid?

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
Does anyone have experience with trying to use the elevate spindles in conjunction with a k mod skid?

There was a post on Facebook regarding this. The guy tested a bunch of different skid mounting locations, front and rear, but I can’t remember what he settled on.

I’m wondering if you could work with both kmod and IceAge to get the elevate rails with the rest of the kmod setup. I believe the elevate rails have a different curve.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I just went ahead and ordered the Barcode A arms for their 1 1/2" lift. I will give them a try without any rear skid changes and then determine if I need to make any modifications to drop the rear skid to match.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT

I'm looking into this myself. My dad just ordered a twin rail kit for his 2018 and I'm going to see if I can commondeer his spindles to test with for a weekend. Or Maybe pull my k mod skid and try it in his sled to see what the difference is. Facebook conversation attached.

Screenshot_20191110-092322.png Screenshot_20191112-135505.png

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
^Awesome

I had a gen 2 kmod and they definitely work as advertised but yeah, a little too planted in the front end. I bet the way he's got that setup with the middle rear skid hole, a raised front arm plus 2" spindles is kind of awesome.

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
I have a Gen 2 Kmod skid mounted in a King Cat (Sidewinder). Originally, the front end seemed a bit planted, so I was seriously considering the Elevate spindles - downside it would have been an expensive experiment. So I bought a set of SX race sled spindles (same as the 2020 Riot sleds), which are 1.5" taller, installed a different set of tie rod ends, and made a set of spacers to clear the 36" A-arms. I also raised the rear skid attachment point 3/4" on the advice of Kevin @ Kmod. The end result? A sled that handles awesome, easier to get on edge, and no ill effects that I've experienced, at a cost that was about a third of the elevate spindles60157284075__0CE58872-2DCB-4ADB-A834-EBB5C2268E19.JPG

M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
Follow-up review of my '17 Mountain Cat 153x3.0 PC with Gripper skis set @ 37.5, DS Ti can, Hubs Performance clutching vs the same sled, but with the IceAge Elevate kit. Unbelievable difference in rider effort; you look, lean, maybe counter steer a bit and the sled follows your eyes, usually in the neutral rider position! A riding buddy of mine who rides a '17 SnoPro 162 took it out and remarked "that is one bad-assed sled"; the clutching & chassis are instantly responsive and perfectly in time with each other. I do not how it compares to the Alpha, but the trail manners are good for a mountain sled & the deep snow capabilities are awesome, predictable & precise. If you, the rider makes a mistake the sled will too! I'm keeping it, until AC figures out how to eliminate the snow ingestion in the air boxes, the oiling issues in the CTech, the broken monorails, & the clutch tower failures. If anyone knows of any low mileage "17 Mountain Cats for sale I have friends that would be willing buyers!

Last edited:

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Great info MountainCat1. I am starting to think the same thing you are. My 2015 has a belt drive and the Mountain Cat lowered chain case with a TKI belt drive and the old Suzuki engine is looking pretty good right about now. My only concern about Elevating my sled is, I have already added the Barcode A arms. While the Barcode kit certainly helps the sled to become more nimble, contrary to what I have read previously it only raised the front of the sled about 1/2", not the 1 1/2" I had been lead to believe. I haven't heard of anyone trying an elevated Barcode setup, so I may have to be the first. However, I may not go quite as high as the Ice Age elevate spindles? I am going to read up on the SX race sled spindles (same as the 2020 Riot sleds), which are 1.5" taller than stock that Oneoldfart mentioned above. They may be a good alternative?

M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
I forgot to mention, that last year, I added the QSL rear track shock that required the longer pull-down rod & a (pre-drilled) relocation in the rear suspension. I don't how much that affected the rear skid geometry, but it is still there, like the '18s and could be a positive. I also plan to add the DuraPro ski dampers as CO2.0 suggested for the IceAge spindles over the Gripper skis. It would be great to add a 3.5" pitch/3" PC (Alpha) track to this twin rail to see just what it would capable of compared to a mono-rail.

yz250_

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
I have a 17 mtn cat that im selling

3x162
Elevate kit
Speedwerx stage 2
Tki belt drive
Gripper skiis
Shortened tunnel
1300 miles
Other goodies

7k. Located in southern utah

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I was trying to link my post from 2017-2018 but the new forum has it where I can't find anything I am looking for any longer.

I created a post in the 2016,2017 time frame that I thought the 2017 Mountain Cat would become a cult classic sled. I said this because it was the last year of the well known and very reliable Suzuki engine, the first year for the lowered chain case and narrower side panels, Team Clutches, etc. I have done my best to turn my 2015 into a 2017 Mountain Cat. If you feel the same, here are a few 2017 Mountain Cats for sale in my area:

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
wow, i thought i was proud frostbite, that last one looks like best deal but its a mod-sled with the pipe and missing decals. Mine has about 1700 miles, DS can, SSI y-pipe, mohawks, pro mtn. bumper/windscreen bag, tether, minor venting/clutching, CPC weights, mint 162 and Id take 7k at Barrett Jackson's for it :cool: Still under FACTORY warranty, 17 was a good year indeed.

High Life

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW Montana
For those of you that did an Elevate kit on a '17 MC, how much did it lighten up the front end? By "lighten up" I mean less of a planted feeling. My '17 MC climbs like crazy but when I really want to lift the skiis over a hole or creek, its almost impossible to get any lift. Other than the planted feeling, I really like the way it handles in nearly all conditions. Then again, I haven't ridden an Alpha or anything with an Elevate kit so I guess I don't know what I'm missing out on.

Should mention my '17 isn't completely stock either. Running a TKI belt drive, lightweight driven shaft and brake rotor, DS quiet can, custom lightweight hood, narrow tube style running boards and narrowed side panels, Gripper skiis, and Wyo steering arm.

About the only concern I have with the Elevate kit is if there will be a clearance issue with my tie rods using the Wyo steering arm/mod. Pretty minor and worst case scenario, I would just put the stock arm back on with stock tie rods...

I'm kind of in the same boat as you Frostbite, debating about putting a high dollar upgrade into my older sled or just getting an Alpha. If the Elevate kit works as good as advertised, I think I will be happy making my older sled run with the newer iron and maybe get a couple more seasons out of it. Seriously love my '17 MC, just wishing I had a little more ski lift....

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
The ice age spindles supposedly have a positive stop that limits bending tie rods. Positive stop to me sounds like the increased steering angle the wyo steering arm gives you will be lost even if the tie rods clear everything.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
The elevate kit on my '16 with a dropped case completely changed the front end weight feel. My skid is 1" dropped in the front, not 3/4" so that's part of it, but I also run my front coil very soft.

But the short answer is yes, it fixes the heavy front end feel.

Premium Features