• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Opinions wanted on ICE-AGE Elevate kits for twin rail Cats

Qreiff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
I have one day on the Elevate kit on my 2018 Mountain Cat 162. Absolutely love it. Nimble and even easier to ride than it already was. Would do it again for sure!!

M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
One day on my Elevate kit on a '17 Mountain Cat 153; Beast mod I've ever done; Easiest sled I have ridden in the powder! Rode today with a '16 LTD 153x3", a "17 Snopro 162x2.6", we all went the same places, but I was way less tired, and the other two riders are 20 years younger than me!!

M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
Best mod?? Granted the cost of the kit & labor is not cheap, but for me on a low mileage '17 sled, it is cheaper than a new 2020 that still would not have the Elevate kit on it. The sled is almost effortless to powder carve, it just follows your eyes/body position, even in tipping it over! The guys that I rode with today are both 20 years younger than me, but I was way less tired than they were. It's like Rasmussen says conserve your energy, let the sled do the work. The sled is more reactive on the forest service roads into our high mountain meadows, but does not have really bad trail manners.

Nightsider

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2019
Castle Rock, WA
View only changes if your lead dog LOL My buddy has a 3D printer & thinks he could make one. Maybe similar to the doo expert. Just thinking out loud

M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
I might add that riding a twin-rail with the Elevate kit may require a warmer mid-layer under your shell in colder weather as you really are not working hard at all and thus not generating as much body heat. I rode most of the day in neutral position and never broke a sweat.

M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
How does the elevated twin rail compare the stock and elevated Alpha?
Do not know the answer to that as I have not ridden an Alpha, stock nor with the elevate. The twin rails are reported to be more percise, both Ascenders & Axsis. I do know that I am happy with my twin rail enough , riding most of the day in the neutral position with ease , that I may just decide to not ride an Alpha to remain dumb, fat & happy!

Qreiff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
I rode a 2020 Alpha a couple weeks ago. I ride an '18 Mountain Cat 162 Elevated. I would take my twin rail any day of the week over the stock Alpha but, you must consider a few things. I have my sled up right where I want it. (Shock pressures, clutching, bars)

The Alpha although very easy to ride, was not as easy as my Elevated Cat IMO. Granted Im more familiar with my sled as well. As MountainCat1 said, the twin rail is very precise, and predictable where as the Alpha is a little more unpredictable. (Prob just takes a few hours to figure out)

On the twin, add the predictability and precision to the easy of turn/carve....no bad trail manners and a monster in the trees and deep! I know it's the best sled I've put a leg over.....and I'm 50. Put my legs around a few in my days. ;)

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Thanks for the great comments guys! I am convinced I need to try both an Alpha and an elevate kit. I understand that the Alpha One track is a difference maker and it's about the only track that surpasses the 3" Powerclaw in traction but, with a track that hugs the hillside, it sounds like it also comes with some unpredictability and some loss of sidehilling manners. Once again, where my hang up is, is deciding if spending $1,798 on a 2015 sled is worth it. Until I get the opportunity to throw a leg over them it's going to be tough to know.

yz250_

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
Thanks for the great comments guys! I am convinced I need to try both an Alpha and an elevate kit. I understand that the Alpha One track is a difference maker and it's about the only track that surpasses the 3" Powerclaw in traction but, with a track that hugs the hillside, it sounds like it also comes with some unpredictability and some loss of sidehilling manners. Once again, where my hang up is, is deciding if spending $1,798 on a 2015 sled is worth it. Until I get the opportunity to throw a leg over them it's going to be tough to know.

I personally wouldn't spend the money on '15.

You could upgrade to a 17 for the same amount and i wpuld rather have a stock 17 than an elevated and anything else done to it '15

The newer sleds are just that much better and each progress better in years after that. We run a 14, 15, 16, 17 , 19 & 20 in our family so have hands on experience with all of them

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
I personally wouldn't spend the money on '15.

You could upgrade to a 17 for the same amount and i wpuld rather have a stock 17 than an elevated and anything else done to it '15

The newer sleds are just that much better and each progress better in years after that. We run a 14, 15, 16, 17 , 19 & 20 in our family so have hands on experience with all of them

I don't think frosty's 15 is really a 15.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
kidwoo, you are right! With the dropped 2017 Mountain Cat (TKI belt drive) and 2016 front end only the clutching is still 2015. Heck, maybe I will just do the less expensive Barcode A arms which raise your front end 1 1/2" and re position the spindles forward?

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Frosty, you have a coil or an air front track shock?

I have one of each. I bought a slightly longer shock eyelet for the coil and I think you saw that brainstorming thread I put up in the proclimb section about moving the bottom shock mount forward on the skid for an air. Either one gives you some height for the front skid.

Stick your 2015 shocks on, offset your steering eyelets a little higher on the spindle so they don't hit the lower a-arm, drop the skid using one of the ways I just mentioned, and buy one of the 1.5" options (barcode/bdx)

4. profit!

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Best $15 u will spend. Makes ball joint removal very simple.
b4815aa03838d78c4bac5ac320b67da6.jpg

Sent it

What's this tool called?

Premium Features