• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Only 6 Days left to SAVE YELLOWSTONE for Snowmobiling >>

FirstPlaceParts

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Mina, SD
www.FirstPlaceParts.com
I agree, what do these people think.

They will close one park and then move onto the next. Once those are done they will move onto state parks. It may take 20 or 30 years, but before you know it, it will be done.

If you do not think this involves you, you are probably wrong. Once this is done they WILL move to a new location.

Thanks
Mark

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Mark, I don't know what else to do.
You would be surprised at the number of harassing PMs I got about sending out this request for help.

There are a whole lot of sledders who simply don't give a rip unless it directly and immediately impacts them.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
To whom it may concern,

Please keep the open parts of snowmobiling open in Yellowstone National Park. I am 39 years old and have been enjoying responsible snowmobiling every winter since I was 4 years old. My Mother, Father, Sister, and Brother took our first trip to Yellowstone in 1985 when I was 14. I'll never forget this first ever trip there. I remember it like it was yesterday. Typically, our family would take at least 1-2 trips to Yellowstone every year to enjoy the best snowmobiling in the country. However, over the last few years we have stopped going due to the constant rumors and fears of closures. Who wants to drive 15-18 hours and not be able to ride? We are responsible citizens that abide by the rules and laws of the park and of the land.

By closing Yellowstone to Snowmobilers, please think about the economical impact this will have on your local economy. People will be forced to take their snowmobiling elsewhere. In fact, many US snowmobilers take trips to Canada. Canada has been much more snowmobile friendly over the last 20 years than the US has been. All one has to do to verify this is take a look at the wilderness boundaries and closed to motorized areas on a map. Take a look at my home state (Washington) Most of us here have to take Snowmobile vacations due to the lack of good riding we have here. This closure will only make more people head for Canada thus causing the US economy to loose even more money in tourism.

As you may or may not know, Snowmobilers for what ever reason, are a huge target from the opposition. The people that are against Snowmobiling are in favor of closing down every single area we have to ride. It's a shame that these people will not be happy until they close down snowmobiling. I don't understand how people get happy by causing others misery just because they think or believe they are RIGHT.

In an era of family's being broken more and more, why take this area away from our family's? How do I explain to my 14 year old daughter and my 3 year old that they will no longer be able to ride in Yellowstone if it is closed?

Regards,

Here is my letter.

I Care.

C
Feb 16, 2010
I have sent my comments. The environmentalists wont be happy until all motorized recreation is eradicated from the planet. Don't try to reason with these people. Fight them at every turn.

A challenge against one is a challenge against us all!

P.S. Now you know why there is a waiting period for handguns. :face-icon-small-coo

Jul 16, 2008
NPS wanting to close Yellowstone to sleds

I have been snowmobiling for about 25 years, and have been to Yellowstone
several times. All have been a lot of fun. The one thing that caught my attention was the smoke and fumes coming from the snowcoaches. A lot more than from all the sleds. In our travels in the park we passed animals in
close proximity to the road. At no time did the animals react to our presence.
I think the park service is doing the public a gross injustice by not encouraging
the public to enjoy the park as the official mandate states. Maybe they should
read it again. As for the restrictions as they are currently, I do not wish to spend my time and money on a trip to nowhere.
Thanks for letting me have my say.

Last edited:
P

Powderdreams

Dec 9, 2007
MY Reply to NPS

Like it or not here is my response to NPS:

Having visited Yellowstone NP during the summer of 1987 I have hoped to take a winter vacation and ride some of the same areas. I find it unfortunate and deeply disappointing to be a witness to the prejudices being expressed and supported to prohibit snowmobiling. With the current restrictions, limited numbers of sleds and only sleds with best technology being allowed in the Park, winter emissions can only be miniscule when compared to the emissions released into the Park during the summer months of unlimited tour buses, campers, and personal vehicles that crowded the roads and visitor centers. While I know my personal experience will not be considered acceptable evidence, when I traveled by the center for Old Faithful in 1987 there was not a parking spot to be had!
A fair (unfortunately this is not about being fair to the public) and realistic method of controlling the amount of pollution being release into the Park’s environment would involve performing an emission test on the vehicles entering the park during a summer weekend, then repeating the emission testing on the snowmobiles allowed into the Park on a winter weekend. This would provide a comparative yardstick to fairly adjust the motorized pollution during the Park on a year around basis. Of course we all know this will never happen because the uproar created by the summer motorized users would result in discrimination claims being brought against the NPS. It is unfortunate that the NPS chooses to restrict the enjoyment of the Park to some of the people when the Park is suppose to be “For the Benefit and Enjoyment of the People”.

Powderdreams

←snow∞motion→

Lifetime Membership
Jan 18, 2010
WY
Powderdreams you hit the nail on the head!! I said the same things in my letter to them, but yours sounds so much better than mine.

This issue doesn't just effect the park, there are areas all over the country that this is happening to, some the public doesn't even know about (scary).

We have to unite together and work with each other all over the country, because ultimately the numbers will effect choice, not the comments themselves.

I write to my congressperson and senator probably twice a month on issues regarding recreational land use and recreational ORV's. I'm shocked about how much land they are trying to take away from the American public, it sickens me.

If you feel you want to do more, click the link in my signature you will be very surprised what is happening all over, and you might be surprised at how much of it is happening in YOUR backyard and not necessarily mine, without our knowledge.

My .02 cents.

Fireman35

Lifetime Membership
Aug 11, 2009
Burlington,WI
well said Chris

One of our active SnoWest members sent me the following by Private Message.

It pretty well sums up why we are slowly loosing our rights to ride.

===

I could really care less. Ive never rode there........never will. If people want to get involved in supporting their local riding areas there are designated subsections in the forum for that.

With an attitude of mutual support like that, its no wonder the rest of us have to pick up the slack and work twice as hard.

Every single time there is a closure, WE ALL LOOSE!

Wasn't it Benjamin Franklin that said...

We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately.
At the signing of the Declaration of Independence, July 4, 1776.

If we as a Snowmobiling community don't start pulling together to support each other, we will each loose the batter one at a time and then the war is lost.

I guess they also dont care until it is the trail they ride then those same folks will want all of us to help them get their riding areas back, then it might be important to them......Jack***

Premium Features