• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

older phazer ?'s

S
Nov 26, 2007
OLYMPIA,WA
I just bought a 93 LE phazer 2 for my daughter. outgrew her 120.
The sled's in decent shape but needs a few thing's (it is 15 yrs old)

Anybody know what new ski's will match up to it?

And the clutch is binding. it engages really high and doesnt come back out.

i tried cleaning it on the sled as it had a bit of rust from yr's of sitting.
rollers move spider seems intact cant see anything wrong with the spring?

any idea's where it could be catching.

thanks

shortman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
newport nebraska
skis and clutch

I have a set of snow stuff (T.C.S.) skis on my 98 phazer they work great. The clutch -- Talk to Tom Hartman/ Hartman Inc if my memory serves me correct a 102 comet on it .I have not done it yet am waiting for one to go bad

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
Those early YXR primary clutches had white nylon "u" shaped spider slider bushings. They were famous for sticking. You can update the older YXR (not the earlier smaller YPZ) to YVX specs by replacing the 3 white nylon sliders with 6 of the black button type bushings used in the current YVX Yamaha clutch.
You'll need 3 roll pins and 6 spider bushings used in any 97 and latter Yamaha. If you go to Yamaha's web site where they have the parts fisch (spelling) and look up the different year clutches you'll see what I'm refering to.
You'll also need a spider "grunt" tool, or you can take the clutch to the dealer and they can remove the spider from the shaft for you. Once the spider is off, what you do drill a small hole in each leg of the spider for the roll pin to press into. This roll pin holds the new style bushings in place. I used a drill press and the new bushing to locate the hole. Besure and center the hole so you dont cut through the center part of the casting.
I dont remember which size drill bit I used, but you want it so that you have to lightly tap in the roll pin with a hammer and punch. I also used a dab of loctite on the pin just to make sure they stayed in place.
Once you have the bushings in place, test fit the spider in the moveable sheave, you may have to lightly sand the bushings at the witness marks with fine sand paper. There should be just enough clearance between the bushing and sheave so that the sheave will slide freely and drop under it's own weight.
It's actually a pretty easy job to do if you are familiar with clutches. And it does cure the binding problem, it's one of the reasons why Yamaha went with the newer style of bushing.

S
Sep 2, 2008
Bozeman, MT
I put stock plastic skis off of a'98 Polaris RMK on my '92 Phazer II and when I went to re-build my clutch and all the parts I got looked wrong, I pulled it off and was told that it was the clutch off of a '97 Mountain Max. It works very well.

L
Dec 7, 2007
SWEDEN
Those early YXR primary clutches had white nylon "U" shaped spider slider bushings.
They were famous for sticking.
You can update the older YXR to YVX specs by replacing the 3 white nylon sliders with 6 of the Black button type bushings used in the current YVX Yamaha clutch.
You'll need 3 roll pins and 6 spider bushings used in any 97 and latter Yamaha.
Once the spider is off, what you do drill a small hole in each leg of the spider for the roll pin to press into.
This roll pin holds the new style bushings in place.
I used a drill press and the new bushing to locate the hole.
Besure and center the hole so you dont cut through the center part of the casting.
I dont remember which size drill bit I used, but you want it so that you have to lightly tap in the roll pin with a hammer and punch.
I also used a dab of loctite on the pin just to make sure they stayed in place.
Once you have the bushings in place, test fit the spider in the moveable sheave, you may have to lightly sand the bushings at the witness marks with fine sand paper.
There should be just enough clearance between the bushing and sheave so that the sheave will slide freely and drop under it's own weight.
It's actually a pretty easy job to do if you are familiar with clutches.
And it does cure the binding problem, it's one of the reasons why Yamaha went with the newer style of bushing.
Anyone have pictures of this modification ?

Premium Features