• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Old

E
Aug 28, 2017
EOREGON, you nailed it. Put a kit on and the accessories you indicated and ride. They do require some maintenance but nothing crazy. The running issues are not a huge concern. I have a group of 5 bikes we ride with that have just those basics done that you described and we are having the time of our lives. The odd minor thing to address but we have been relatively problem free. We are all in and around 50 years old and are dirt bikers, some are sledders. We all absolutely love it, its WAY easier to ride than a sled in my opinion and it makes tree riding and difficult terrain super fun. Bonus is they don't necessarily shine in the alpine which is keeping us all safe and out of avalanche country but still maximum fun in the mountains. We tended to boondock and tree ride anyway last number of years.
Thermostat and engine blanket for sure. We have had good success with just an outwears cover over a dry stock foam air filter. I think I had to stop and clean snow out of my airbox two times in two years of riding and some of it was nipple deep fresh pow. Aftermarket intakes work well too and are not expensive.
Rekluse is nice but not necessary at all. I am tall and don't find it a problem, shorter riders may like it more because you don't have to reach across for the clutch when you are standing in knee deep pow trying to get going. Nice to have if you want to "burp" the bike out of a hole if you are stuck.
I will say that overall it feels more like a bike than a sled when you are riding. If you are comfortable on a bike it will be a piece of cake.
They use way less fuel than a sled so the frequent oil changes (1.4L at a time) are not really expensive. Regular bolt check and chain adjustments and lube are about it for regular maintenance, nothing out of the ordinary for a dirtbiker.
I ride a Husky FC450 with a Timbersled ARO 120. Last bike was a KTM 450SXF with a Yeti 129.

So which kit do you like of the two? Timbersled or Yeti?

GKR

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
Want to spend a little more time on the ARO to see if I can get it dialed in better. They are similar and both work great but so far I prefer the Yeti for handling and weight. Better ski. (still working with the ARO ski and its getting better as I tweak the set up) Yeti requires more attention with bolt checking, etc. but that does not bother me.
I would say the Timbersled is more robust/durable but a little harder to ride (less fun) that the Yeti.
Yeti spools up quicker.
Track is good on the ARO.
If I had to decide today I would end up with a Yeti 129" freeride. Ask me again after a few more rides tho, its very close and there is give and take with either. I am happy to be on the ARO in the meantime and will see if I can get it to the point where I stick with it. I like the long term durability aspect of it if I can get it to work as well as the Yeti does.

M
Feb 5, 2012
I ride both at 52 I still like the sled when I fell like having a workout although the 850 doo dialled with a 15 wide track is so easy to handle its not even funny ( still 170 hp to hang on to). After I switch to the bike it is easy city no energy required if you do it right ( 60 Hp to hang on to). The difference is similar to when I came of my 300 hp Yamaha turbo and went to a 800 doo with 150 hp that felt like riding a moped in comparison. Where I would differ from the other guys -- I say the bike is harder to get unstuck. The New sleds are so good that a tuck on the ski is usually all that is necessary to get unstuck -- and drive away. Not that a bike is that hard but rolling them or flipping them around is just as hard. They are tall and take a different approach. Not having reverse sucks. Maintenance is not as bad as often said. One of my riding buddies has a 14 Yz with a 14 timbersled kit on it fro 3 seasons now just basic maintenance once dialled. Blew out one bearing on the trail thats it in 3 seasons. He is more into riding and maintenance is not a priority for him , still has great reliability.
Coming up on 100 hrs on the bike here so he needs a top end for next season. Plan a piston for sure every 100 hrs no matter what you run.
I am 70.
Have Two 450 KTMs, one with a 018 Aro 137 the other with 020 riot.. Also ride a RMK 163 BIG BORE..
I love the **** out of snowbiking. If I am still here at 80 I will be riding.. My be just not the steep and deep as much. Its a lot less work the my 163 and TS goes places I just dreamed about oon my sleds.

0112191217.jpg 1027181807.jpg

E
Dec 19, 2007
I built a snow bike out of a kx450 atv motor so I could have reverse. It's for sale because I decided I hate 4 strokes. but I'm pushing 50 and starting to think if no one buys it I'll need it in a few years to save my back when I get stuck it just backs out of the hole...

N
Jan 3, 2008
Northern Utah
I am 70.
Have Two 450 KTMs, one with a 018 Aro 137 the other with 020 riot.. Also ride a RMK 163 BIG BORE..
I love the **** out of snowbiking. If I am still here at 80 I will be riding.. My be just not the steep and deep as much. Its a lot less work the my 163 and TS goes places I just dreamed about oon my sleds.

Holy seat mod. My hips hurt just looking at it. But it is a clean mod ill give you that.

Premium Features