• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Old Arctic cat track size?

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Got this '80 Trail Cat 4000. Picked it up a couple years ago, very good condition. Probably worth more to a collector considering how good of shape it's in, but it's now my boy's first sled.
Had it out a couple rides last year, runs like a champ, but this thing will get stuck going downhill on a packed trail, lol, seriously.

Steel skis, get the snow packed up on the bottom of them (in this awesome WA dry powder!), metal cleat track with "cat claws" aint much better.
Cat M skis fit fine on the front, but what size track does it have so I cna try to find a rubber replacement track?
It's 15 wide, looks like a 2.5 - 2.52 pitch, about 8-1/4" CtoC on the sliders, but what's the length? I've heard 116".
Or has anyone replaced the old cleat track with a newer rubber one?

G
Jan 10, 2008
Rollinsville
Hey Thrall, take a look at the attachments. Look like there was a conversion kit at some point. Maybe there is some NOS laying around.

Attachments

• ettigretc0001.pdf
    933.2 KB · Views: 189
  • eltigtc readme.txt
    5.8 KB · Views: 1,259
A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Thanks Steve.
So that kit was to convert to an all rubber track I presume? Little wider spacing on the drive sprockets and rear idler wheels.
I'll look into that. I think the big hurdle will be finding a decent track. I believe it's a 116" track, but haven't measured it yet and the only 116's I see for sale are 3/4" lug trail tracks and and about $500.
Went riding this weekend. TJ put another 30mi or so on the old Trail Cat, ran like a top.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
That's a good idea. There's another big salvage yard I got the # to at home as well, Sunnyside or something in western WI.
WInter is here.
Went up this weekend, with the family. TJ rode the Trail Cat all day, or the stuck-mobile as we called it. He learned after a bit to always park downhill and if that wasn't posiible to give it some gas and a push then jump on. Maybe I should leave it the way it is, it's teaching him to be a better rider! Jeffrery even took a couple laps on it in a field w/ TJ following him on the M7 to stop and help him every time he got sideways with it.
It was a WA stuckfest! Bottomless powder here means enough fresh snow to carve in and yeaterday's snow requires a shovel and comes out in blocks when you get stuck and have to dig out!

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Mike's Welding - Yakima WA had some tracks at Puyallup this year.
Sled Wrecker - Spokane area had some tracks a couple years ago at Puyallup as well. Bought a 121x1.25" for a good price from him.

PM me for #'s if this interests you.

You might do better to find a 121 to fit under the sled and just move the skid back to make up the difference. From a 116 that should only be 2.5" back to make it work.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Thanks for the leads. I thought about just moving the skid back a little, but it's not the typical old slide rail suspension. It was Cat's "new" long travel suspension with double coil overs on the back. Buncha extra parts under there.
It's already pretty bad in the handling dept. Lots of bump steer up front (fine for my 9 y/o putting around though) and I don't want to mess with the suspension geometry for that reason. Also, the sled is bone stock, excellent shape and probably worth some $ to a collector as is, so out of principle I don't want to chop it up at all.

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
What if you built a couple rail extensions,, they probably would only need to be an 1" or so long.
If not that way maybe find a larger rear axle wheel. I know on the newer sleds going from 153 to 156 all some guys do is add an off set axle with larger wheels...

Premium Features