• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

oil tank vacuum

B
Sep 24, 2009
Yakima Wa
Is the oil tank supposed to have a slight vacuum? Every time I fill the oil tank, the sides of the tank are sucked in a little. When I open the cap, I can see the sides of the tank expand back out. The sled burns plenty of oil. Is this normal?

Lake Powell

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2016
Silt, Colorado
Is the oil tank supposed to have a slight vacuum? Every time I fill the oil tank, the sides of the tank are sucked in a little. When I open the cap, I can see the sides of the tank expand back out. The sled burns plenty of oil. Is this normal?
My 19 does that also and goes thru a lot of oil. Peter

R
Nov 16, 2016
Minus the small amount of duck-bill valve restriction, the interior of the oil tank should be close to ambient aptmosheric pressure.

B
Sep 24, 2009
Yakima Wa
I checked my tank again yesterday. It still has the vacuum. I could hear the whooosh of air go in as I opened the cap. It still burned a quart of oil on Wednesdays ride.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Could it be while you are riding, the tank gets warm and the air inside expands. After the tank cools it contacts. I would think the tank would allow air in and that wouldnt happen, but I don’t know…

B
Sep 24, 2009
Yakima Wa
Could it be while you are riding, the tank gets warm and the air inside expands. After the tank cools it contacts. I would think the tank would allow air in and that wouldnt happen, but I don’t know…
Could be, but every time I've checked, it was after a night in a heated shop. I'll check it again while riding.

jdog1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2007
Not normal at all. Your burning more oil then normal also.

Premium Features