• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

OFT's "Yamaheater" Boost Module ???

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Curious if anyone has used this.
My OEM hand warmers failed a couple weeks ago.
Had them replaced with a new set of OEM, and those felt only moderately warm on HIGH last weekend.

So I am looking for a better solution

OFT is selling this little module and it caught my interest.
http://oftracing.com/Store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=67&products_id=224
YH.jpg

smokindave

Canada Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary Alberta
I am also wondering about this product,I am getting real tired of having cold hands.
Does anyone know whether this kit will fix my crappy stock grips?

E

Extreme-One

Nov 26, 2007
Meridian, ID
I installed this on my wife's Apex last year because she always complained of cold hands... now she doesn't. The thing rocks, while waiting for the sled to warm up in the trailer or parking lot the handwarmers are instantly hot. Almost to the point of too hot without gloves.

It was explained to me that the Yamaha sleds have a power managment system, so power will be pulled from the hand/thumb warmers and sent to more criticle areas like for battery charging. The hand/thumb warmers only get hot when the machine is at a certain rpm or engine load. This box plugs into the factory harness (took 20-30 minutes to install) and you basically turn off the handwarms on the bars and this box takes over. Fools the computer on the sled to think that the hardwarms are off so you don't get codes.

Little pricy but well worth it if you're tired of cold hands.

..SNAKEBIT..

Lifetime Membership
Jun 24, 2004
Iowa
my understanding is this bypasses the factory controls and puts high heat to the grips.
But what happens when you dont want high heat, but need better than the stock puts out? cause I can run on high just about all the time unless its 30+ degrees

is this true?, you have high with the Yamaheater or
the factory settings? seems like there would be a HUGE gap from factory high and the Yamaheater, or does it BOOST the factory setting to produce more heat?

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
i put on the rsi high output handwarmers (same ones that yamaha sells in their accessory book) and it helped but still not as hot as i would like. i met this guy that makes the yamaheater at haydays its a good product i think i will probably get one for next season. little pricey but worth it if your tired of cold hands.

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
I have a Yamaheater, I'm very happy with it. I think it's biggest advantage is that it can supply full power to the grips while the sled is idling. So I can "pre-heat" the grips while the sled is warming up.
For me it's much easier to keep my hands warm, when they start out warm.

bigrhett

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alpine, UT
my understanding is this bypasses the factory controls and puts high heat to the grips.
But what happens when you dont want high heat, but need better than the stock puts out? cause I can run on high just about all the time unless its 30+ degrees

is this true?, you have high with the Yamaheater or
the factory settings? seems like there would be a HUGE gap from factory high and the Yamaheater, or does it BOOST the factory setting to produce more heat?

It's a simple plug and play that is designed to provide full voltage to the grips when you have it set that way. It's controlled from your stock heater toggle switch to go through the stock settings and then to max heat, or you can totally turn the system off if you want. The Yamaha programming is designed to only provide maximum voltage if all the planets line up (right engine speed, right load, etc...) so the grips are rarely ever actually getting "high" voltage and therefore high heat even though they're set on high. This setup overrides that to provide full voltage to the grips (as it should have from the beginning!!)

I've moved my setup to 2 apex's and now my Nytro and won't ride without them. They Nytro's grips are weaker than the Apex (if that's possible) and there is a Nytro specific add-on that gives even more heat.

Simple plug and play that uses your stock heater toggle and uses stock voltage from the system so it doesn't explode anything. Well worth the money I paid and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Rhett

Last edited:
T

twincam88

Oct 10, 2009
yorkton sask
i have also put on a set of RSI grips and warmers and let me tell you they get hot. riding down from boulder a couple weeks ago i had wet gloves and cranked them on high and it dried out my gloves and i had to turn them off before i even got down to the parking lot. both oem warmers were shot so my dealer put these on under warranty. they cost as much as ONE oem warmer and the grips are way stickier. this is the way to go imo!!!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Is this what your talking about??

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td colspan="2" class="pageHeading" valign="top">HI POWER GRIP HEATER ELEMENTS
[GH-1]</td> </tr> </tbody></table></td> </tr> <tr> <td>
pixel_trans.gif
</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="main"> <table align="right" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td class="smallText" align="center">
product_thumb.php

<noscript>
<?php echo TEXT_CLICK_TO_ENLARGE; ?>
</noscript> </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
  • Hi power grip heater elements.
  • A must when using aluminum handlebars to keep grips hot.
  • 3 Wire high/low applications. Also works on Polaris models with low/medium/high switches.
  • Universal design works on all 12 volt snowmobiles.
  • 3M self adhesive backing for easy installation onto handlebars.
  • Extended hook design shape and standard rectangular shape design.
  • Extended hook design extends over the hook of the bar to heat the hook portion of the handlebar as well as the flat hand area.
  • Sold per pair.
  • Patent Pending
</td></tr></tbody></table>

W

wilmot

Feb 3, 2010
Clearfield, UT
I find it hard to believe Yamaha doesnt have this problem FIXED......
My 09 hand warmers worked great. I had my 10 nytro to the dealer after my third ride. One side the element went out. Now sometimes they work sometimes they dont. O well its only money$$$$$$ Glad for aftermarket parts. When my gloves are wet i just grab my other pair out of my purse. he he......

Last edited:
J

j_w10

Mar 8, 2009
grips

smokin dave before you head out and buy one look at the wiring diagram for the apex. i had a friend tell me that the apex is wired in a "loop", meaning from the ecu power goes to one grip through the other grip then back to ecu. if a guy splits that wire and feeds each grip independantly and then grounds them its supposed to help alot. This is how the nytros are wired anyway.

If that doesnt help i put the yamaheater on the nytro i had and it worked fantastic. if the grips get to warm for those that are asking you can simply turn the module off and run of the stock system for your desired heat. it doesnt always have to be on the biggest advantage has already been stated, they will warm up at idle and stay warm untill you turn them off instead of when you let off the throttle. my 2 cents.

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
i have also put on a set of RSI grips and warmers and let me tell you they get hot. riding down from boulder a couple weeks ago i had wet gloves and cranked them on high and it dried out my gloves and i had to turn them off before i even got down to the parking lot. both oem warmers were shot so my dealer put these on under warranty. they cost as much as ONE oem warmer and the grips are way stickier. this is the way to go imo!!!

My experience is that they are hotter than stock but not as hot as rsi hyped them up to be. mine are always cranked and i have never turned them down because they are too hot(i wish). Dont get me wrong....they are definetly an improvement over stock but I would still like more. Their grips are great super sticky. BTW this is on a 2008 nytro mtx

Last edited:
C

charger0926

Nov 14, 2010
Elk Grove CA
buy the yamaheater, it works awesome. i have met the guy who developed this simple plug and play kit. it connects to factory wiring connectors. you will not find better customer service than what he (rock is his name...rockmeister on ty site)gives. he lived right down the road from me... hell....i sold him my 2007 attak that he rides right now before i moved out west in september. this kit works and he has amazing service.

S

Swelly

I put on a set of yamaheaters over two years ago. They are still working great, and are really worth the money. I very rarely run them now above med. On cold days I still run gauntlets to keep the back of the hands warm, but well worth the money. BTW they are really plug and play. Buy em and you will not regret it. Support is 2nd to none.

On another note, I will ordering a roll over kit very soon. Flipped it over today and could not get my left foot out, or get to the kill switch. Non the less, I had to add some oil. Time to buy the tether.

Last edited:
S

SNAFU

Nov 26, 2007
Calgary
I am still using my stock heaters (2008). I filled the handlebars with spray foam insulation (Great Stuff brand) and it helped a tremendous amount. Fill from both ends of the handle bars. Hang plastic grocery bags over the ends of the bars to catch the foam that will expand out.

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
yup i tried the foam too. maybee a tiny tiny improvement on my nytro but not much. I have tried everything and my next try will be the yamaheater.

Last edited:
M
Jan 14, 2004
Well I froze my hands this week so I got to thinking that since we ride mostly in the daylight I'm going to just unplug the low beam leads from the headlights and free up 110 watts that the heaters can use. I'll just turn on my high beams with the high low switch when I need lights. I might have cold hands at night but its a start.

M5

Premium Features