• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

octane??

80arrow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2008
Grand Rapids MN
This may be a dumb question but how do you know if you are running to high of octane for the boost you are running??

xpspenziv

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2009
hanging out in a tree well at the top.
Your gas mileage will suffer. The inability of your engine to burn the higher octane gas correctly will cause your engine to produce less power and thus will require more fuel to perform at the same level. High octane has or fuel has a slower burn rate. Benefit is it will help the engine run cooler. If your way to high it'll sputter spit and fart. It can also knock the spark plugs and out.

How much boost are you running? @ what elevation?

Last edited:

80arrow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2008
Grand Rapids MN
I'm going to try to run 6-7 pounds of boost at 5-7000 feet. The sled was set-up for the Snowies and 10-12 pounds of boost. I've never rode at this lower elevation and I'm trying to come up with an idea for tuning. I have the chart for the Silber turbo for mixing race fuel and premiun and also for the clutching recommendations but I'd also like to know what to look for.

T
Dec 20, 2010
7lb spring is closer to 10lbs according to buddy with boost guage. I ran 5lb spring around big horns on 1/3 e50 and 91 and it ran great. Too much octane or av gas will make it boggy until you get on the boost

80arrow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2008
Grand Rapids MN
I'm running a boost gauge. This is the first time I've adjusted the boost or clutching since I got it. I'm kinda lost, lol. I'll give Silber a call tomorrow morning I think also.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
I can get 94 octane pump gas at chevron, At 4k feet 5# it's fine 6k feet 7-8# it was fine.

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
Boost it, 2011 pro rmk, has a water to air intercooler.

Hold on a second... You have been posting in other threads about Det issues. I had a 13 Boost it Pro running 7Lbs and a water2air intercooler. At 6000 ft there is no way it was running on pump gas. If you have a Boost-it Pro running on pump fuel your the only one. Or maybe we cured your Det problem. It won't run on pump gas.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Hold on a second... You have been posting in other threads about Det issues. I had a 13 Boost it Pro running 7Lbs and a water2air intercooler. At 6000 ft there is no way it was running on pump gas. If you have a Boost-it Pro running on pump fuel your the only one. Or maybe we cured your Det problem. It won't run on pump gas.

I'm basing my Input off holding it pinned wide open, I have not had it go into det limp mode doing that, only when I'm in and off the throttle, I may be wrong even to contribute such info, I just figured if she does that fine.. Must be ok?

I have my own thread for my issue and yes it continues, det issues when I'm in and off the throttle. It's not a fuel issue, I've ran vp mix, 100% av gas, 50/50 even threw on a 3 degree timing retard key on top of it all and running minimum boost, it'll drop to 4# or so at 6-7k if left unadjusted, will still throw det for me. between trying different fuel mixed and it never helped with my issue, always limp mode so I'm left to believe it's something else. I just found I have the stiffer exhaust springs you can buy and should certainly not have them... Likely cause to ny issue and bogging.

I had talked with a guy from another city over with a boosted pro who claimed no mods and ran 91 pump gas and 6# if I remember right at 6 to 7k feet. But I could sslo remember wrong.

Not to go off track from the main subject as he asked about octane and elevations.

Last edited:

kgra

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
British Columbia
I ran 91 at 6psi 5000ft with no det on mtntk axys with intercooler for many rides. Yesterday I turned it up At 7psi It det when riding hard.

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
I ran 91 at 6psi 5000ft with no det on mtntk axys with intercooler for many rides. Yesterday I turned it up At 7psi It det when riding hard.
Mtntks tune pulls timing. 5 LBS at 6000 ft will work, but thats it. I have a MTNTK at 9LBS at 6000 ft running 33% 112 with 91. Took it down to 25 % last year but occasionally it would Det going in and out of the throttle (tip in). For This year I had Bell intercoolers redesign the air box with there, water 2 air core. I could try cutting back on the Octane. Maybe back to 25 % again and see what happens. Its running so well with this mixture I don't want to mess with it.

Last edited:
Premium Features