• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

octane setting: premium vs regular

T
Apr 21, 2011
Lake Tahoe
I recently purchased a 2001 RMK 800 and am wondering about the octane setting on the ignition. I am in California and buying 92 octane Chevron gas. Should I have my ignition set to premium or regular?

I asked the guy at the service counter of the Polaris dealer, and he said the premium setting was only for racing fuel with octane 105+. But a variety of comments around the web say you can use the premium setting with 91+ octane. What is right?

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Ok, first off... find a different dealer, that guy is clueless.

The premium switch changes the time 2 degrees I believe.

If you are able to get good 92 octane fuel then you should be running in the premium mode.

sled_guy

T
Apr 2, 2009
Told ya.....

lolz

Also, I have to kind of agree with sledguy, not sure I would use that dealer. This information about the key setting is from sleds 101. If they don't know that..... not a good sign.

Bendy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2009
Spirit River, AB Canada
What he said!

That guy is a retard. Use the premium setting for 91-93 octane. Regular setting is for 87 octane. My 03 wouldn't run worth a crap on the regular setting with premium at 2000ft. Switch it to premium and it would run fine. Run good fuel (91) and the switch set on premium.

C

cowboy181d

Nov 1, 2008
Burns oregon
Yeah I would find a different dealer! But then again I went into the local polaris dealership looking for some parts for my RMK last year told the guy, I need a set of bellows for my 03 RMK 700...simple enough....BUT WAIT NO!!! He dead seriously asks me who makes that, Its Yamaha isn't it???

T
Apr 21, 2011
Lake Tahoe
Thanks for the help. I finally bought the service manual for my sled, so I don't have to ask so many questions. Manual says premium switch is for 91+ octane.

The dealer was Sierra Sport & Marine in Sparks, NV. The service guy may have had bad advice, but they did have a lot of Polaris drive belts in stock.

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
Back up. We need more information first. What pipes, what heads, whose porting what compression ratio does the sled run. If this is a stock sled then the above is true but factor in mods and he could very well be correct.

Premium Features