• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

O-ring or not o-ring. That is the question.

N
Mar 21, 2016
NW oregon
I’m curious about findings with non o-ring chains. It would seem to me that Snowbike is the ideal situation for a non oring chain. There’s no dirt in the environment, and we are trying to minimize drag to maximize hp to ground. I understand o-ring chains get less drag when warmed up, but with snow I can imagine that is hard to accomplish.

Guitarman

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2012
Anchorage, Alaska
All I run summer and winter are non o-ring chains. I have never had a failure and reduction in drag is considerable. Your statement that the o ring chains have less drag when warmed up is interesting. How warm do drive chains get on a snowlike? Non O-ring chains are close to half the cost of O-ring chains. Just my personal experience.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
3 years ago I searched for a better sno bike chain. I chose a DID VX2, a little pricey. When installed on my 2016 TS kit the " felt " less rolling resistance was noticeable. A good improvement. When I bought my RIOT last year, I put the
TS supplied chain on my 2016 kit when it went down the road, and the year old DIDVX2 on my new RIOT. 3 years on that chain now and no real noticeable wear. Still nice and tight on the sprockets.

N
Mar 21, 2016
NW oregon
All I run summer and winter are non o-ring chains. I have never had a failure and reduction in drag is considerable. Your statement that the o ring chains have less drag when warmed up is interesting. How warm do drive chains get on a snowlike? Non O-ring chains are close to half the cost of O-ring chains. Just my personal experience.
Apparently they can cook eggs! Especially the one in the enclosure.

john6719

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2014
I'm looking for a new chain as I ended up breaking the factory chain out in the middle of nowhere last time out...not fun and didn't really have much time on it. Seems the VX3 is well recommended, but as I was researching I found the ZVM-X. Anyone run a ZVM-X? Is it just overkill?

M
Jan 14, 2004
I always run DID chains after the cheap a$$ chain that comes with the kit is done which is usually under 50 hours. For whatever reason there wasn't a DID chain in any model to be had anywhere around me so I ended up having to buy an RK MAXX chain. Its got a 9000 lb braking strength, its a pretty robust unit, its big and so far so good. It stretched on the first ride that was it, it hasn't budged since. Its really big, I cant see that its a power saver in any sense. I pack a spare chain in my toolbox, they always come in handy.

M5

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
I'm looking for a new chain as I ended up breaking the factory chain out in the middle of nowhere last time out...not fun and didn't really have much time on it. Seems the VX3 is well recommended, but as I was researching I found the ZVM-X. Anyone run a ZVM-X? Is it just overkill?
Been there done that! Now I carry 2 extra master links and chain breaker in my tool kit. Only reason for two master links is that it is easy to lose some thing when you are installing in the snow.
Edit. I am also running the VX3.

cbc76am

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2016
Bothell WA
o-ring all day. The non-oring chains will rust in the pins with all the water these see. I tried both always seeking less rolling resistance, but it's not worth it... unless you want to compressed air dry your chain and lube it every time on the hill.

9 inch rear wheels and a belt drive from TKI if money isn't a problem (about 1000). 15/18 primary gearing with a ground down rub block upside down. My kit freewheels like a wheel now and has far less throttle lag in chain slack.

E
Dec 19, 2007
I did a test 2 years ago with a brand new o ring on the outer and non on the inner Same brand same tensile rating. They lasted equally and stretched equally. I sprayed chain wax on the non o ring every 2-3 rides. On my dyno I picked up 5hp.
Just kidding about the hp it's probably negligable but my o rings melted on my riot chain last year and didn't last as long as my non in the center. So no point in spending 3 times the cost for something that doesn't last any longer anyway. If you are breaking chains find a different brand. Rk has never failed me even on my 70hp raptor and I ride a lot.

A
Nov 14, 2017
I did a test 2 years ago with a brand new o ring on the outer and non on the inner Same brand same tensile rating. They lasted equally and stretched equally. I sprayed chain wax on the non o ring every 2-3 rides. On my dyno I picked up 5hp.
Just kidding about the hp it's probably negligable but my o rings melted on my riot chain last year and didn't last as long as my non in the center. So no point in spending 3 times the cost for something that doesn't last any longer anyway. If you are breaking chains find a different brand. Rk has never failed me even on my 70hp raptor and I ride a lot.

Can you tell us which non-oring chain you use?

Premium Features