• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Nytro chaincase question

B

b_sandgren

Dec 24, 2008
Does anyone know what size that big nut is on the secondary drive shaft in the chain case? 36mm? I need to remove it to change drivers. Thank you. Anyway to swap drivers without a bearing press?
Thanks

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
If by secondary shaft you mean the top one (jackshaft), you don't have to remove that nut to change the driveshaft. It is a 36mm, but like I said, you don't have to loosen it. A press is really the only way. Any other way can get dangerous.

B

b_sandgren

Dec 24, 2008
Thanks for the reply. Can you elaborate on how to remove the driveshaft without removing the whole chaincase?

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
It sounds like you have never taken a Nytro chaincase apart. It's different than the earlier models in that the side of the bulkhead is the chaincase. Take the chaincase cover off and disassemble the bottom. The way the left side driveshaft bearing holder comes apart allows for removal of driveshaft without having to mess with jackshaft parts.

B

b_sandgren

Dec 24, 2008
I appreciate the info. No I have not taken teh nytro chaincase apart as of yet, I will be doing so tonight. I have taken the apex apart, sounds like these are an updated and better design

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
No probs. The biggest change as far as removing the driveshaft is concerned is that........ on the left side there is a plate under the bearing holder that comes off to allows you to tilt the driveshaft down and out. I'm sure you'll figure it out. Just take your time.

B

b_sandgren

Dec 24, 2008
Ok, i got the driveshaft out last night and will be installing the avids tonight.

Do I tighten up everything on the left side first and then everything in the chaincase, or vice versa?

Thanks again

A
Nov 24, 2011
driveshaft

So if I were to replace my track on my 2011 Nytro XTX and I have to take the drive shaft out, I do not have to mess with the jack shaft? Is that right or is this a different situation?

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
A Jue11

You do not have to mess with the jack shaft on the nytro's. Once you take apart the chain chase, remove the chain and gears off, the Drive axle will slide out the clutch side once you unbolt the speedo cable and 4 bolts holding the bearing carrier from the same side as the speedo cable. You do not need to remove the bearing on that side because the axle, bearing and carrier will slide out the bottom of the notch in the bulk head. There are several posts on TY with pictures showing how the chain case comes apart. just do a search or send me a PM with your email address and i can send you an abbreviated copy of the post. I copied all the pictures when i swapped tracks last year so i would have a reference to look at.
There is a little tricky spring that will fall out that you have to be careful to put back in the right location. What makes it tricky is that it will fall out when you slied the cover off. you will hear all kinds of parts falling down inside the cover as you slide the cover off. the tiny spring is one of them. If your seld has reverse, sliding the cover back on can be a little tricky to but if you take your time it usually slides right into place.

A
Oct 30, 2020
Trying to remove my driveshaft and then the track I guess on my 2006 Yamaha nytro. So far I have the chain case cover off with the gears off and the speedo side is off cuz the bearing race broke which is the reason I’m taking everything apart

moab11

Lifetime Membership
Feb 24, 2011
Great White North
this discussion is about the FX chassis Nytros, you have a delta chassis nytro, so would be better looking for info for a vector. TY4stroke is by far the best resource for the yamaha sleds.

Premium Features