• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Not Cool Ski Doo

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I was told the same thing when I picked mine up. I called a week later to ask again. The service guy said he would call Ski doo to verify.Called me back an hour later and said,yes,warranty will be voided if a can was added and they would be able to tell from bolt markings and computer readings.
If a can was added. Nothing to do with removing it to put a bumper on.

G
Jan 15, 2009
Vail
I put the bumper on anyway as removing the pipe required taking the springs off and not touching any bolts. I did see some pink/red paint marker all over the place but it wiped off when barely touched. I think my dealer has some bad intel.

Regarding adding ski doo aftermarket parts, they said they load that info into their system that is associated with your Vin # so that ski doo is aware when it comes to warranty claims. Sounds like they are trying to play it safe until some real information comes out.

I feel like a saw a Ski Doo bulletin in the spring that stated that tampering with or replacing certain turbo related parts would void the warranty but didn't say anything about removing and reinstalling.

M
Jun 7, 2013
Here is the verbiage from bulliton BRP sent to dealers we have to abide by the rules and forewarn the customer of issues that may appear from mods. yes, any dealer telling you otherwise is just setting you and themselves up for failure.

This document describes the guidelines to follow whenever a failure is noticed on the 850 E-TEC turbo engine component.
BRP intends to closely monitor any problems that relates to the engine.
Be aware that a lacquer was applied on critical parts to detect any modifications that may affect the durability or performance of the product.
The warranty claim will be automatically rejected if there are any alterations to the following engine components:
- ECM
- Turbo connecting rod adjustment
- Muffler
- Throttle body injectors
- MAP sensor
- Tuned pipe

Idahodoo

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Pocatello Idaho
www.jcscutomvents.com
Okay Guys Just Got Off Phone With My Dealer & He Said, "It's The Same BRP Warranty Criteria As It Has Been For Years, So yes if the dealer is so inclined it could void the Warranty" Then He said He Would Not, so like I said you need to go to a good dealer, and don't give your business dealers that aren't.

That's why I go where I go, Because they take care of their customers. (y)

G
Jan 15, 2009
Vail
Here is the verbiage from bulliton BRP sent to dealers we have to abide by the rules and forewarn the customer of issues that may appear from mods. yes, any dealer telling you otherwise is just setting you and themselves up for failure.

This document describes the guidelines to follow whenever a failure is noticed on the 850 E-TEC turbo engine component.
BRP intends to closely monitor any problems that relates to the engine.
Be aware that a lacquer was applied on critical parts to detect any modifications that may affect the durability or performance of the product.
The warranty claim will be automatically rejected if there are any alterations to the following engine components:
- ECM
- Turbo connecting rod adjustment
- Muffler
- Throttle body injectors
- MAP sensor
- Tuned pipe

That being said, the key word is alteration. Removal and correct reinstall without alteration should be fine. In order to replace an a-arm, you have to remove the pipe and there is no way Ski Doo would void your engine warranty for replacing an a-arm.

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
By the way you “can” get the can out without pulling the head pipe. I just did so. So I can get in there to install my RPM Composites Skid Plate.

It was a bit tight but does come out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Just don't mod the sled and think that you still have warranty. Pulling the pipe to install/fix something is fine. The marks on the bolts are (I am 99% sure, as I am not in the factory) just tags to mark that they are torqued. Or another assembly line thing. Again, I don't know. BRP is not going to void your warranty for fixing an arm or installing a skid plate. The Skidoo BUDDS system is so complex, that it will report any increased boost, EGT temps, ECU mods (obviously) or fueling changes. BUDDS will report anything like that when the dealer downloads the report for a claim. THAT is what will blow your warranty. And it has been mentioned that the dealership has some control over warranty claims. They do. If the dealer doesn' t give a sheet, they can say no without trying to get it covered. Mile High Powersports in McCall does NOT do that. Every time I have an issue, Kristy says "I will submit it and see what they say." There have been few, but the recent one was a decal that was coming off the side panel (Badly.) It was covered. Keep that in mind when slamming your local dealership online. I am in good favor with MHPS, my local dealership, if you drag YOUR dealership through the mud publicly, you may not be. Just sayin......

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Just picked up my 2021 Ski Do Expert Turbo 165 today. The whole team at Mile High Sports in McCall, ID, warned me that if I touched any part of the exhaust system, Ski Doo would immediately void my warranty. I told them I planned to keep it stock but needed to remove the pipe to install a BMFab front bumper. They said that would void the warranty. They did not like it either but said that was the message from Ski Doo. Even got the owner involved and he said that Ski Doo is getting bad and is super strict about the paint markings on the exhaust. I can't believe it.

People seem to have a hard time with understanding language. I have this bulletin in my phone and it does not say that.
Removing the stock exhaust and reinstalling it will not void your warranty.
If you alter the exhaust, like put a can on it, It MAY void your warranty, if you have a certain issue and BRP decided to dig into it deeper.

Last edited:
C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
your dealer is lying to you, My dealer said they don`t care if you put on a aftermarket can and would warranty was no problem. you need a different dealer

Yep your dealer dont care but BRP will. Brp calls the shots, the dealer also does not care if your ride early season and smash a sled on the rocks.

G
Jan 15, 2009
Vail
Just to be clear, I am not bashing my local dealer. If I had issues with them I would have bought the sled somewhere else. I actually appreciate their concern and appreciate them being upfront and trying to protect me from possibly voiding my warranty. I tend to replace one of my sleds once a year and I am sure they don't want to lose my business as a loyal customer by screwing me over. My issue is with the uncertainty coming from Ski Doo. I even called Ski Doo directly and they would not give me a black and white answer regarding the warranty issue. I am sure clarity will come as time passes. In the meantime, I am still happy riding Ski Doo and sure as **** not switching to Polaris because of this.

On a side note, I would hate to have a dealer that says, "go ahead and replace the can, we got you", only to have the system read that something changed and now you have no warranty with the message coming from Ski Doo. Nothing your dealer can do then.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Just to be clear, I am not bashing my local dealer. If I had issues with them I would have bought the sled somewhere else. I actually appreciate their concern and appreciate them being upfront and trying to protect me from possibly voiding my warranty. I tend to replace one of my sleds once a year and I am sure they don't want to lose my business as a loyal customer by screwing me over. My issue is with the uncertainty coming from Ski Doo. I even called Ski Doo directly and they would not give me a black and white answer regarding the warranty issue. I am sure clarity will come as time passes. In the meantime, I am still happy riding Ski Doo and sure as **** not switching to Polaris because of this.

On a side note, I would hate to have a dealer that says, "go ahead and replace the can, we got you", only to have the system read that something changed and now you have no warranty with the message coming from Ski Doo. Nothing your dealer can do then.

Exactly, there is nothing a dealer can do the moment the sled is plugged into the budds.

They are telling customers this to protect their customers. You dealer is being honest, although the info told to you is technically not 100% accurate. There is no issue removing the stock exhaust or muffler as long as those stock items go back on.

My tech at the dealer told me removing the 2021 muffler is easier than the 2020.5 with the improvements.

M
Oct 27, 2020
These threads can truly be dangerous to dealers. If someone is on here saying their dealer will honer the warranty if someone puts an aftermarket can on a 850 Turbo and Ski Doo sees these threads there can be big problems potentially.
I am trying to find a 175” track turbo and if I do I would be tempted to put a diamond s can on but probably would not due to warranty.

NoSoup4U

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2009
Northern Utah
Exactly, there is nothing a dealer can do the moment the sled is plugged into the budds.

They are telling customers this to protect their customers. You dealer is being honest, although the info told to you is technically not 100% accurate. There is no issue removing the stock exhaust or muffler as long as those stock items go back on.

My tech at the dealer told me removing the 2021 muffler is easier than the 2020.5 with the improvements.

Picked up my 850 turbo yesterday and my dealer told me the exact same thing.

Premium Features