• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Northwest Avalanche Center presents Basic Avalanche Skills Course for Snowmobilers

J
Jul 31, 2014
Fairhaven
Hi all,

I posted this quickly to get some information out about courses that the Northwest Avalanche Center is offering in Roslyn this winter then realized that it might be taken as a commercial so I checked with Christopher and got the ok.

NWAC is offering several one day Basic Avalanche Skills Courses for Snowmobiler this winter. The next one is coming up in a few days with more dates in February and March.

I was one of the instructors last week at the first two courses of the season and I will be back in March for two more courses. Shoot any questions you have my way and I'll do my best to answer them quickly.

The course is a great way to get familiar with your tools if you just got a beacon/shovel/probe for Christmas or if you've been at it a while and want some practice and feedback.

You can find information from NWAC here:
https://www.nwac.us/education/nwac-classes/class-calendar/

You can find course registration information here:
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/basic-avalanche-skills-course-for-snowmobilers-tickets-38521359423

The description from NWAC to save you the click:
Basic Avalanche Skills Course (BASC) for Snowmobilers

Course Description:

This new class offered by the Northwest Avalanche Center is built on guidelines from the American Avalanche Association. A 3-hour classroom session specifically addressing avalanche safety for snowmobilers is followed by a 4-hour field session teaching students how to perform efficient companion rescue in an avalanche accident. This course is intended as an accessible course for all levels of snowmobilers, from beginner to pro, and provides students with the opportunity to learn and practice avalanche basics and companion rescue in a realistic setting. It prepares students well for a 3-day Level 1 Avalanche course.

Course Content:

AM session:

Introduction to avalanche terminology, avalanche statistics, and why avalanches are considered dangerous.
Avalanche terrain: Where avalanches happen, how to identify avalanche terrain.
Understanding avalanche bulletins and forecasts: How is this information useful to backcountry snowmobilers?
Snowpack and weather factors: How do these factors make avalanches more or less likely?
Obvious clues and red flags for increasing avalanche danger
Travel protocols: Where to park, one person on a slope at a time, getting unstuck, and more.
Avalanche Safety gear and Companion Rescue: Discuss equipment and introduce companion rescue concepts for afternoon session.

PM session:

Hands-on training and practice
Beacon operation and search principles
Demonstration and practice of signal, course, fine, and pinpoint beacon searches
Probing and strategic shoveling
Rescue practice scenarios including group management challenges
Multiple burial, multiple searcher scenarios of increasing complexity
Overview of first aid and emergency skills needed in actual rescues

Last edited:
Premium Features