• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Normal clothing vs. snowmobile clothing

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I am the super mismatch ride, i get whatever i can when its cheap, and try to sorta color coordinate, i got a silver/red helmet from when i rode motorcross, black/yellow gloves i got as a gift from a buddy who works at a winter gear place, so half off for him. my coat is a columbia grey/white/black that i got end of season two years ago, a little worn, but still keeps me warm. I finaly caved in and bough sno-cross style pants, because snowboard pants seemed to rip WAY to easy, even for the nice ones. oh, i forgot about the rer/black goggles, got those cheap to..... I dont like to look like somebody who doesnt know how to dress themself, but i also dont like to spend 100 bucks more per piece o' clothing to match.

BUT!! winter gear is the definition of get what you pay for, and you will also pay for names when you get good stuff, so its all about how much money you have.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
wow, didn't know we had so many run way models on here.

If snowboard gear works for you, you don't ride in deep enough snow.
Ollie, I beg to differ. good snowboaring gear is nice stuff, and like sledding gear, you get what you pay for, it just tends to not be less sturdy material due to the lack of giant angry machines beeing ridden. i rock the snowboard gear all winter, and we rode days the normally groomed trail was impasable by anything but boosted sleds.

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
Ollie, I beg to differ. good snowboaring gear is nice stuff, and like sledding gear, you get what you pay for, it just tends to not be less sturdy material due to the lack of giant angry machines beeing ridden. i rock the snowboard gear all winter, and we rode days the normally groomed trail was impasable by anything but boosted sleds.

I was actually being a smart azz about the deep snow comment.:D
I won't wear snowboard gear because it won't stand up to the tight trees and branches. I used a snowboard coat for 2 years. Pretty much shredded it. That's why I wear Klim.

I just don't really care what someone wears. Well, except the guy we saw last year that had on the pink accented coat and matching bibs. That was a little creepy.

K
Bottom line is function over fashion....especially in the mountains when you're 50 miles from your truck. More importantly is what you wear underneath. Good set of base layer long johns that wick the moisture away from the body. I didn't realize how well this stuff works until last year. Pulls the sweat right away from the skin to the outer layers of clothing. I had a jacket last year that didn't breath and it would get absolutely soaked on the inside. Showed me the importance of having a jacket and pants that breath to release the moisture so it can evaporate. Gore-Tex seems to be the most well known. I went to the Thunderstruck 7 movie last night. I can see now why Klim is so dam expensive. Every single sledder in the movie was wearing it. Someone has to pick up the tab for all the sponsorship fees.

Last edited:

Powderhound

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho
I ride with a buddy who has been wearing the same gear for the past 20 years at least. He has to duct tape his pants to his boots cause the zippers are broke. It is not that he cannot afford more he just says they are not worn out yet, If I could have an 1/100th of his net worth I could reitre. b]ut when he fires up his 1100 and stomps everyone azz in the group you never see the clothes. We give him crap at the trailer only cause his riding shuts everyone up...

Last edited:
F
Aug 5, 2001
Utah
Sometimes sledders can look pretty tacky guys admit it. Once I saw this one dude riding a sled with a rhino lined seat and a bright purple clown suit.... no really. :p:beer;

Actually though, one of my best riding buddies owns a kick arse snowboard shop, DP Sports, he offers me stuff for cheap all the time but I have to admit that KLIM as trendy as it is, is really quite functional for sledding. you just wont see me wearing any klim bright colors. Ill probably pick up some cool board wear for this year just cause it gets old putting the same thing on everytime.

Nov 26, 2007
Kent,Wa.
Somobile gear............

I have tried a lot of differant stuff, I wear all Klim now. Not because somone else does. The stuff works, and you get what you pay for! If you buy a little at a time it isnt too bad. I can't afford to go and buy all new, all at once. I was sold on it when the "owner" sized us up and custom made bibs to fit my short fat self. Made in Idaho! Those days are gone, still a good product. -00's

C
Nov 28, 2007
MT/DC
another vote for klim, and heres why....

i grew up rise of the snowboard era, so as you can guess for a long time i did get things that i thought looked good but werent functional. That worked for about 1 year sledding. As i started to ride harder, leave the board at home, and get to deeper and deeper snow i realized stuff like klim is WELL worth it.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002

I agree 100 percent with that.. snowboard and ski gear is really good... just not as abrasive resistant. Though... when will KLIM figure out you should have one of those key clips in a pocket, we will never know.... That and vents on the inside of the legs.... Oh... and pockets longer then 4 inches would be nice too......

Though with the XCR goretex and other more abrasive fabrics coming out for board gear I might switch back.. Cutting off all the dumb KLIM labels will have to do in the mean time....

Last edited:
X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
I've tried just about everything except Klim and guess what's next. I've got some coldwave and slednecks gear now and it's alright just not cutting the mustard for the breathability.

All my gear is Black now and will remain that way.

Fat guy and Neon colors is a BBBAAAADDDD combo.

The Fourth Wolf

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
Anchorage, AK
I wear whatever's warm.

My big focus is on top quality socks, gloves and base layer stuff.

The wife bought me a Polaris IQ jacket a few years ago (in blue to match my RMK) and I wear that mostly. I have a closet full of other jackets and depending on the conditions I wear whatever works best.

I usually wear Red Ledge skiers bibs I found on sale for $50 (so I bought 2 pairs).

The best, most talented riders I have personally watched on the mountain seem to pay no attention to what they wear. When the talk turns to riding gear they only speak of features and quality. (minus the occasional tease about being shponshurred by Duct Tape)

D

deaner

Nov 26, 2007
Creston, BC
but I have to admit that KLIM as trendy as it is, is really quite functional for sledding. you just wont see me wearing any klim bright colors.

Black for me too.

I always though Klim stuff was WAY overpriced..........until I bought it and used it. Worth every penny. And this is coming from the biggest cheapskate on the planet!

Premium Features