• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Noob clutch question - buy & replace, DIY rebuild, dealer rebuild, or ship for rebuild?

B
Bought 3 arctic cat M8000 ('13,'15,'17) that need some clutch work. After a lot of research, I'm not getting a lot of clarity on my best options. Any guidance is helpful

1) Buy and replace - is this the most popular option? Recommended dealers? I assume they tune for the sled and elevation and ship? I have a clutch puller, so this seems to be the "easiest" option as it's just a rip and replace?

2) DIY Rebuild - considering getting the tools to do on my own. How many of you do this and best place to learn the know-how?

3) Dealer rebuild - seems about the same cost as buying a new primary and replacing myself so doesn't seem like a great option

4) Ship for a rebuild - how are costs compared to "buying new and replacing?" Is this a preferred option for any reason? Dealers you use?

And any advice on how I should know the secondary needs to be replaced is helpful.

Super 8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2012
Or you could purchase cvtech clutches calibrated for your models.

Attachments

• cvtech vs cat.jpg
    cvtech vs cat.jpg
    936.1 KB · Views: 31

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
New Cat clutches are typically sold "uncalibrated" without springs or weights. So if you get new replacements you would swap over your weights and springs. If you upgrade the 13 and 15 to the 16/17 style team primary you would need to buy new weights for those too. You should be putting new springs in on a rebuild anyway so that cost would be a wash. If I had a single 2012-2015 sled I would just upgrade to that 2016/2017 primary and buy new weights and springs. Having multiples to upgrade makes it more expensive.

I wouldn't rebuild the 13 and 15 clutches unless you can find new spiders for them as they are a weak link (2000 mountain miles more or less before they let go). The price of a billet spider, plus parts, balancing, and rebuild or tooling cost makes it not to just replace them. Since you have more than one to do spreading out the tooling cost might make it easier. If you plan to keep those machines for thousands more miles then it might make sense to get the tools to do rebuilds. Also check into if the same tools can be used on the Team clutch as they may be different. Couple years ago I was wrestling with rebuilding or replacing and upgrading. By the time I factored in parts and tools for a single rebuild it was almost the same cost as going new before factoring in my time. Rebuilding a clutch can be fairly labor and strength intensive. Spiders are locked on with a lot of loctite and about 450 lb-ft. The Team clutch on the 2017 might be worth rebuilding.

Do some research on parts, tools, and replacements. Then make yourself a spreadsheet comparing the costs of your options to see what fits your budget best. I would check out Thunder Products, STM, and Speedwerx for parts and tools. Give Eric at Racin Station a call on rebuilds. My gut feeling is that replacement with like-for-like new clutches on the 2013 and 2015 and having someone rebuild the 2017 might be the best bet.

I have no experience with the Powerblock clutches that Super 8 is referencing, but there seems to be a few people that put them on.

B
Ya, I thought about going turn-key with Racin Station or uncalibrated route with a $350 eBay primary and just carry over the original stock weights with a new spring, but after doing more research on CVTech Powerbloc 80, I’m inclined to go that direction. With fewer moveable parts, it seems to be more reliable than the OEM that gets chewed up

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Ya, I thought about going turn-key with Racin Station or uncalibrated route with a $350 eBay primary and just carry over the original stock weights with a new spring, but after doing more research on CVTech Powerbloc 80, I’m inclined to go that direction. With fewer moveable parts, it seems to be more reliable than the OEM that gets chewed up
Don't go with the Ebay copy, bought one and installed it on a sled I was selling, didn't make it one ride before rollers started to disintegrate and damage weights and the bronze bushings used in place of the fiber ones were seizing on shafts when hot. Complete junk, Ebay seller refunded cost of unit + shipping and said keep it. Might take apart and see if rebuildable with Thunder products parts but I shouldn't waste the time. Even the balance ring would not swap over, clutch was machined for it but not properly.

triedit

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
sheridan wy
i would try the powerbloc , or put the 17 mtn cat primary on and ssi weights and spring in the primary ,you can rebuild them if you buy the tools just be warned that sometimes you will destroy the threads on the post and spider so best to buy a new spider for your rebuild if going that way

djsoder

Lifetime Membership
May 18, 2015
Central MN
You could check with BDX on the '18 clutch conversion they do. I had one on my 950 & it's a slick setup..

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk

ditch1000

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2008
Fort St. James, B.C.
Just ordered the Powerbloc 80 today; plus the puller and holding tool..
Can’t wait to get them on and try them out when the snow flies!!

Premium Features