• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Non insulated woman's jackets Klim vs. Motorfist

Missy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2012
Samak, UT
www.MissysRealEstate.com
Hello Ladies,

I have always worn the Klim Shell for my jacket. I am currently using the Alpine, but it is getting pretty worn out. I have had my eye on the Motorfist Contessa Jacket because it has a hood.

Here is my question for you ladies that have worn both to ride in. Are they consistent in warmth, dryness and movability?

P
Jan 9, 2016
I don't have any experience with ether of them other than trying them both on. I have a few snowboard jackets I have been wearing but want to upgrade this year I hope. Just from trying them on I can say that the motorfist seems to have a tiny bit more room but in the end that might be a personal observation that is not the same to the next person. The motorfist seems a bit more stiff in the material itself than the Klim but that was the case with all my motorfist stuff which wore in over a season.

I would say dryness and warmth would be the same for both Klim and Motorfist if your just talking about shells. The materials are basically the same with just different name branding or so I am told.

I am looking at the Alpine and the Contessa this year but torn. I get better discounts with Motorfist but I live 2 miles from the Klim factory which has been nice for my boots which I had to take in for repair. A hood strangely enough I don't care about because all mine does on my current jacket is collect snow and then deposit it down my neck when I use it. It would still be a good option I guess with it being removable on the motorfist jacket.

Don't know if any of that helped really.

W

Wowmom

Feb 10, 2013
Texas
I am on the fence with the same 2 jackets! I was hoping someone could break the tie. I have been wearing the Klim Alpine for 3 or 4 seasons. Only complaint is I do not like the Velcro storm flap, which they did away with. I love the green that MF has this year....

P
Jan 9, 2016
I got the new Klim alpine jacket a few weeks ago and I actually have it up for sale. I think I'm going to switch to motorfist. Now that I've played with the Klim a bit I think it's too lightweigt construction for me.

P
Jan 9, 2016
After getting the Klim jacket I decided I wanted to try the motorfist jacket anyways and getting a great deal defiantly helped the decision along. Decided to just keep the Klim one too considering it's also a great jacket. I can say after using them both I will stick with the motorfist for the mountain and just use the Klim for everyday use and maybe to and from the mountain.

The motorfist is built a little bit more tough and I feel the time I spent with the motorfist jacket in the trees that if it were the Klim jacket it would of not faired as well. The Klim is much lighter weight than the motorfist and I feel if you are more in the open it would be great but the toughness of the motorfist is better abrasion durability when your getting brushed by trees in tight spaces.

With that said I have complete confidence in the ability of both Klim and motorfist to keep you dry all day.

Another observation is the Klim seems a size smaller. I got large in both and the Klim had little to no room to layer. The motorfist was perfect with multiple layers, bibs, and beacon on it seemed to fit me perfectly. The motorfist jacket allowed me just enough room to move unrestricted with everything on yet not be bulky looking.

Just thought I'd share :)

Missy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2012
Samak, UT
www.MissysRealEstate.com
Well I took the plunge and ordered the new Motorfist Contessa. I love the hood, but I was pretty surprised how stiff and uncomfortable it is new. It also doesn't have the nice liner that Klim puts in their jackets. I sure hope it breaks in well. My chin is raw from where the collar when zipped all the way up rubbed. I guess it is the difference between Gore-tex and eVent?

Anyone have this same experience?

P
Jan 9, 2016
I had similar problems but I normally don't zip my jackets all the way up. I use a neck gaiter instead most of the time, even with my other jackets. It gets softer the more you wash it.

I think it's more of the outer material they bond to the inner material. Motorfist uses a heavier nylon for abrasion resistance on the outside of the event than Klim does on gortex. I like the heavier outer material on the motorfist even though it starts out more stiff, I spend allot of time brushing tree branches and I feel it will hold up to that over a much longer period than klim.

Missy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2012
Samak, UT
www.MissysRealEstate.com
My Klim Jacket is at the end of it's life. I have had it since early 2014. I sent it in to see if it could be warrantied since Gortex is for life. They would not even test it for leakage because they claimed I had 4 damaged panels. This would be from going through the trees as well. OH WELL, I will just see how this Motorfist one wears

* I HAVE A REALLY RAW CHIN RIGHT NOW *

:face-icon-small-ton:face-icon-small-blu:face-icon-small-dis:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-coo

Premium Features