• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

No Start Issue - '18 AXYS 800

Zrider

Lifetime Membership
May 7, 2003
Sparks, NV
'18 163, non ES with less than 400 miles. Loaded sled on trailer, unloaded at parking lot, put on riding gear, got ready to leave and sled would not start. Pulled off side panels, hood, etc. and started checking connections. Could not find anything. We pulled sled back on trailer and headed home. Got back home and the roach fired right up. Tether, kill switch, throttle safety and key all worked at they should. No codes showing on the gauge. Any ideas would be much appreciated. Happy as hell that it didn't happen out in the backcountry.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Did you disconnect the tether when you were trying to get it to start?

My 2018 started acting similarly at the beginning of the year. Mine would even start without the tether on sometimes. I've got over double the miles you do but I took off the polaris tether and it hasn't had a single issue.

I put a cat magnetic tether on which still goes into the polaris harness so I'm pretty sure it was just the switch. Just something to eliminate.

B
Jan 8, 2016
I’d say the tether or killswitch was the culprit. Could be intermittent, might’ve hit a bump or something with the trailer on the way up that possibly knocked it out just enough and then on the way home the opposite.

Zrider

Lifetime Membership
May 7, 2003
Sparks, NV
Yeah, the first thing we did was to open up the velcro pouch and disconnect the tether. Still wouldn't fire. Also pulled a plug cap and checked for spark. There was none. It was like everything shut down till we got back home. Does anyone know if there is a main ground wire that attaches to the frame and if so, where it's located?

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Yeah, the first thing we did was to open up the velcro pouch and disconnect the tether. Still wouldn't fire. Also pulled a plug cap and checked for spark. There was none. It was like everything shut down till we got back home. Does anyone know if there is a main ground wire that attaches to the frame and if so, where it's located?

Main ground is on the left front bumper tab.

I wonder if you had water in the TSS?

Is it gutted yet?

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Pic of the main chassis ground. Facing the front of the sled with the hood off.

20191212_182703.jpg

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Flooded!

Seen it happen SEVERAL times, exactly the same situation as you described. I'm also going to guess the sled was in a shop before you loaded it?

Anytime these sleds dont start after 2-3 pulls, hold the throttle wide open and give it a few more pulls and it will likely start.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Flooded!

Seen it happen SEVERAL times, exactly the same situation as you described. I'm also going to guess the sled was in a shop before you loaded it?

Anytime these sleds dont start after 2-3 pulls, hold the throttle wide open and give it a few more pulls and it will likely start.

OP checked for spark and found none.

Although I have seen flooded sleds that need WOT + 3 pulls.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Good catch.... I didnt see his second reply 4 posts down that said no spark, I just read his original post.

Zrider

Lifetime Membership
May 7, 2003
Sparks, NV
Appreciate the feedback from you folks. Looks like the TSS(Throttle Safety Switch) might be the culprit. One time it will shut off the motor, the next time it won't. Ordered the TSS Bypass from Perk. The sled has started everytime since I got it back home from our non ride on Monday. Tether, kill button and key all work fine. Checked the main ground wire connection plus other wiring. Looks OK. We'll see what happens on the next outing. Thanks again.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Throttle safety switch problem wont cause a no start condition.

When the sled wouldnt start, how exactly did you check for spark?

Wintertime

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2014
Casper, WY
Had the same issue the other day was flooded. I have a good spark tester that plugs into the cap and plug. The first time I checked didn't see a spark. Checked wire etc. did the test again made sure everything reconnected had a spark. Pulled plugs very wet held throttle wide open pulled over a bunch of time without plugs. An installed new set of plugs pulled over while holding WOT and it fired up it bobbled for a little bit then cleared up. It will get you thinking that something serious is wrong it does act like a bunch of different stuff. This may not be your trouble however it worth a second look. Mine is an 18' also with low miles. I also believe the head skulls are made of Alum. so you would not see spark unless you touched the stud with the plug? The best thing to test spark is an inline tester can be bought at any auto parts store not vary costly.

Zrider

Lifetime Membership
May 7, 2003
Sparks, NV
Wintertime - thanks for your reply and your comment about the aluminum heads. I sure hope it's a flooding issue but in my case I don't think so. I fired up the sled at my house before my riding bud came by to pick me up. No issue. We got to the parking lot, opened up the trailer, fired up the sleds and drove them off and let them warm up. Got dressed and ready to go. Pulled the rope, it fired for a second or two, then quit. Would not restart. Did not try the wide open throttle routine(will remember that one for future use). When we got back home, the sled fired up on second pull and smoked like hell, as it was obviously loaded up from all the previous rope pulling. The sled has started up every time since the non start last Monday. Will keep checking wires/connections. Those electrical gremlins can be a PITA.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Had the same issue the other day was flooded. I have a good spark tester that plugs into the cap and plug. The first time I checked didn't see a spark. Checked wire etc. did the test again made sure everything reconnected had a spark. Pulled plugs very wet held throttle wide open pulled over a bunch of time without plugs. An installed new set of plugs pulled over while holding WOT and it fired up it bobbled for a little bit then cleared up. It will get you thinking that something serious is wrong it does act like a bunch of different stuff. This may not be your trouble however it worth a second look. Mine is an 18' also with low miles. I also believe the head skulls are made of Alum. so you would not see spark unless you touched the stud with the plug? The best thing to test spark is an inline tester can be bought at any auto parts store not vary costly.

Ummmm.

Aluminum transfers electricity just fine.
(That’s what many wires are made of)

Wintertime

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2014
Casper, WY
when checking for a spark are you grounding the plug? Last time I checked Alum. doesn't work well for that.(meaning not the best place to use there are better ways to check) Guess I'm wrong? I'll move on. I would trust touching it to the stud as best practical application maybe just me? than just laying on the head skull. Was just trying to help not get called out. I forgot that's what happens, where everyone needs to be a hero.

Last edited:

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
when checking for a spark are you grounding the plug? Last time I checked Alum. doesn't work well for that. Guess I'm wrong? I'll move on. I would trust touching it to the stud more. than just laying on the head skull. Was just trying to help not get called out. I forgot that's what happens, where everyone needs to be a hero.

Not trying to be a hero.

Just trying to head off misinformation.

Premium Features