• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Night riding headlight suggestions

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
We've all been there before, sometimes the ride extends into the darkness, or maybe it starts in the dark because the early bird gets the face shots! Obviously I'd prefer something helmet mounted because anything at sled level is likely to be in the pow if conditions are good. My riding group is going to order something before the season starts up.

What light are you guys using to ride in the dark in headlight deep pow? Are the Frankensled lights any good?

Thanks in advance!

giddyup

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
deer valley sask.
im following you its a great question, im also looking for ideas, i have tried several headlights on the Gen4 all suck, LED included, i have the frankinsled light, its good, but i need more,

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
Tusk AND Task?
Oh - you gotta be kidd'n!

One feature that I see was NOT on the one in the video that I think is of real value - is like on the Lead Dog, even if you don't have a "tail light" hooked up to it, just having the headlight on will make the red housing glow pretty brightly.

I have been told that when breaking trail in the trees in the dark - that that glowing red light on top of my head makes it MUCH easier for those behind me to judge exactly where I am.

I would like to get a little more rugged unit one day, but I cringe at losing that feature.
However - I doo like the possibility of going "coon dog" and ditching the chord, but that could be done with any if you opt to carry a batt on your person, so ...

I was prototyping some units for Blazer Coon Hunting Lights several years back, and haven't heard anything from them in quite some time. Just looked them up and they seem to have fallen off the edge of the Earth.

The LED characteristic of "just shutting off" when the V gets low could be a huge liability if you don't have a regular headlight tho.
That could be scary!

C
Dec 6, 2007
sask
I have 3 helmet lights
mountain lab x1000 flashlight ( kind of the same as frankensled)

plusses
no cord, bright , 4 levels of light intensity
minuses
battery life ( it lasts about 4 hours ) , in heavy snowfalls lots of light reflection

Lead dog

plusses
Red housing that riders behind you can see, light weight, a halogen light does not reflect the light back to you in heavy snowfalls, Always have light when sled is running
minuses
cord, not as bright as led ( also can be a plus) no light when sled isn't running unless you have electric start

And a very bright corded led head light ( Cant remember the name)

Plusses
very bright, 3 levels of intensity, always have light when sled is running
minuses
Heavy, cord, no light when sled isn't running unless you have electric start

If we are doin a lot of night riding I usually wear the Lead dog and have the Mountain lab flashlight with me

And before I get the,,,, You should never ride at night ,,, reply's , I do S&R and most times it starts out at night
And also there are times when riding at night is safer because you have definition that you do not have during the stormy / flat light days

frntflp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Plymouth, MN
I run the one from Tusk, link above. Works great ! I keep the head lamp and battery in my tunnel bag. When needed, head lamp clips to a GoPro mount on the underside of the visor of my helmet and battery moved to the top of my avy pack - wire over the shoulder.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Ive put many nights on my stock axys headlights with frankesled on the helmet. Always would love more light but that combo works really good as long as its not insanely deep. The batteries last suprisingly long, I always keep it in my tunnel bag just in case the day gets long for one reason or another. Or many times were headed out after work and want to get a good ride in. Some of the most fun I have is riding in the dark.

d8grandpa

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 27, 2010
Alberta
We have been using the Frankensled lights for a number of years. As some have said more light is better but they seem adequate. I carry 2 with me in my avybag. I have been out in full dark no moon nights and have had them torn off my Helmut with tree branch’s, so carry a spare now. I find that the light gets dimmer when battery life is low, so because my Oakley heated goggles use the same battery I carry some spares with me, so have spares for both. They are not expensive battery’s, good ones are around 10 bucks.

B
Nov 11, 2010
Salmon Arm BC
I have done a fair bit of night riding in unfamiliar areas (search and rescue). I have a Frankensled that I've had for a few years and carry a spare battery because I run it on high and often need light for 6-8hrs. It performs best in clear weather. When it's snowing hard or foggy the LED causes a lot of light to come back at you which can cut visibility big time. In these situations a lead dog would be much better and I used to have one too until I left my tunnel bag open and it went for a trip through the tunnel and came out in pieces. A lead dog on a battery would be an ideal setup as the halogen light pierces the weather much better. The brightest setup I have seen at night is the Tusk light but it still causes whiteout in bad weather. I like the look of the new mountain lab 1800 lumen light but you can't swap batteries so on high it's only good for an hour and a half. I guess what I'm saying is there are some good options but but a great do-it-all solution.

562xp

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2012
I've run an Oxbow for a few years now and it works great. The first helmet i put it on i mounted it on top and it worked ok until you started hitting branches with your helmet. The second one I mounted it under the visor and I like it better there because it doesn't get hit and you can adjust it easier if needed. Battery life is very good I've run it for hours at -10 f and only burned thought half the battery plus you can get spares if need.

J

Juztterberi

Banned
Sep 17, 2017
We've all been there before, sometimes the ride extends into the darkness, or maybe it starts in the dark because the early bird gets the face shots! Obviously I'd prefer something helmet mounted because anything at sled level is likely to be in the pow if conditions are good. My riding group is going to order something before the season starts up.

What light are you guys using to ride in the dark in headlight deep pow? Are the Frankensled lights any good?

Thanks in advance!

Most of the headlights on the Gen are not really good.

X
Sep 22, 2022
USA
It would help if you remembered that it is forbidden to put xenon lamps on transport where they are not originally provided. I think there is logic in this. It's like turning on a powerful spotlight right before you when you're not expecting it. After that, blindness is guaranteed for five to ten seconds. Therefore, you should use LED lighting. I prefer it more and ordered it for myself last week amazon. Btw, you also should not turn on the high beam if you are riding on the tail of another car. It can also cause an emergency on the road.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..

Significantly brighter than the oxbow light.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK

Here's another, not as bright as that Skilak, I wear it on the side to keep branches from knocking it off the top.

On one machine it plugs in, I prefer a phone battery pack with a switch so it goes where I go.

Takes a little work, spliced in a type C charger plug in and some DuaLock 3M commercial tape. You actually have to rock it to lock it, hardcore. The loopback stuff has failed me to many times, it's hold is weak and frays.

1696008345656.jpeg

Premium Features