• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Next mods, for my alpha ..

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
If you're intent on dropping rotating weight the best bang for the buck might be an ADAPT primary if you don't already have one. BDX has a full Ti pin and bolt kit for them. The spring cup in the secondary can be swapped for a ZRP unit. Speedwerx can race cut the sheaves on the clutches to make them lighter too.

T
May 22, 2010
Kelowna BC
i think head and tune would be best bang for your buck then the lightweight hood looks good. I'm running the adapt primary on my 18 without the starter ring and it seems to work well.
Terra Alps billet head with proper dome design and compression can gain good power, especially if your riding high elevations.
ECM tune from Terra Alps 7 hp gain and reliability
Muffler 3hp gain
Pipe & Y pipe up to 10 hp depending how its tuned.
Cylinder Porting good gains
870 big bore kit 22% gain on pump gas, most powerful kits available.
These performance packages keep the sled fun with great throttle response and acceleration with no lag like a turbo and there headaches.

A
Dec 21, 2018
Terra Alps billet head with proper dome design and compression can gain good power, especially if your riding high elevations.
Muffler 3hp gain
These performance packages keep the sled fun with great throttle response and acceleration with no lag like a turbo and there headaches.
From my experience
-New head (higher compresson) = problems
-Ecu tuning = 0-1 hp only moves powerband
-muffler = 0hp
-full pipe = 0-5 hp only moves powerband
-big bore = yes good but $ for every hp not good

My advise to change sled still stands, for sure mod your sleep if you like it custom and love that garage life.. for power not so much

M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon
Muffler 3hp gain
Ted that you?

iluv2fly

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Just go turbo and don't look back. The new kits are very reliable and run amazing. You can dump tons of money into stuff that adds very little power or just do it right the first time and turbo it.

C

cbc24

Nov 26, 2007
gp
Hav
If you're intent on dropping rotating weight the best bang for the buck might be an ADAPT primary if you don't already have one. BDX has a full Ti pin and bolt kit for them. The spring cup in the secondary can be swapped for a ZRP unit. Speedwerx can race cut the sheaves on the clutches to make them lighter too.
Have you really noticed a difference with the adapt? On my 18 mtn cat my biggest issue is the "turbo lag" feel where you got not bottom and have to wait for it to get in the pipe to chew. On my doo I had the tq to blurp it out of stupid spots and mistakes but the cat is a whole different animal where I find I have to be predictively on it and get it revving.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I don't have an Adapt primary on either of my sleds. Just seems like more bang for the buck starting with a .7lb lighter clutch than doing lightweight cover and Ti bolts and pins in the team roller bearing clutch that might not last.

Shouldn't really have any lag on the bottom. The Ctec engine and clutching have pretty decent bottom end. What setup are you running?

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
How much Ho does a turbo kit add? Joy around 2k?
The big thing with boost is you don't lose nearly the power due to elevation. 3%/1000' loss is the rule of thumb with naturally aspirated engine. My relatives that ride 600s in MN and Wisconsin ditches don't comprehend why we even need something like a 8-900cc machine out west.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
The big thing with boost is you don't lose nearly the power due to elevation. 3%/1000' loss is the rule of thumb with naturally aspirated engine. My relatives that ride 600s in MN and Wisconsin ditches don't comprehend why we even need something like a 8-900cc machine out west.
And we don’t comprehend why anyone would live in MN or Wisconsin! Ahahaha!

Premium Features