• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Next mods, for my alpha ..

M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon
So far I have a alpha Tki belt drive, full jaws big shark, what performance mods would you be doing next?

Lightweight rotating mass kit?
Head?
Reflash?

I’m leaning towards dropping rotating mass, lightweight helix, ti bolts & clutch pins, clutch cover, machine the brake rotor and whatever else I can get my hands on.

Strictly performance conversation here, maybe you know of something I don’t?

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Adapt primary if you don't already have it, lightweight hood with headlight delete, TKI or Iceage upper control arms to change caster, Skinz seat and tank if money isn't a problem. Probably more ways to throw money at it I haven't thought of yet.

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
i think head and tune would be best bang for your buck then the lightweight hood looks good. I'm running the adapt primary on my 18 without the starter ring and it seems to work well.

M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon
i think head and tune would be best bang for your buck then the lightweight hood looks good. I'm running the adapt primary on my 18 without the starter ring and it seems to work well.

Who’s tuning are you using?

Anyone have a high compression, high octane set up? I’m ok with running 100+ octane. I remember seeing that someone offered a few high comp options.

Lightweight bolt on parts are a given, just talking performance here. My last cat was a m1000 in 2009 and I sold it 3 months after I got it so haven’t been watching what works on these. On my pros and axys I always used slp heads and pipes but looking to switch things up on this cat. Jaws will be here tomorrow.

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
Who’s tuning are you using?

Anyone have a high compression, high octane set up? I’m ok with running 100+ octane. I remember seeing that someone offered a few high comp options.

Lightweight bolt on parts are a given, just talking performance here. My last cat was a m1000 in 2009 and I sold it 3 months after I got it so haven’t been watching what works on these. On my pros and axys I always used slp heads and pipes but looking to switch things up on this cat. Jaws will be here tomorrow.
i have a ssi Y pipe pipe mod and a ggb can but im not running a tune but they ssi has reflashes for this pipe mod and for a jaws pipe. supposed to ad 4 to 6 hp over the pipe alone.

I
Jan 4, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
ZRP Lightweight rotating kit, makes the sled super snappy.
Jaws Pipe Kit with extra venting in the front nose cone and ECU Flash from Arctic Edge in hillcrest Alberta.

My team clutch started to stick last trip west last season. I tried blowing it out, took the spring to a guy in town to get tested it was good. I cleaned everything perfectly. Checked the spider rollers, no cracks anywhere but still stuck. Was looking at maybe upgrading the clutch to the ADAPT primary.

Anyone have a comparison thread made up i couldn't find one

Dec 1, 2007
livingston MT
The 2.5 degree advance keys have been working good in the CTEC 400s (blast/venom). I will be trying one in a new 800 this winter.

Does anyone have experience with milling the stock heads? How tight can you run the squish? I know the chamber design is way different compared to aftermarket domes but figured it might be worth a try because I have access to a lathe and milling machine.

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
ZRP Lightweight rotating kit, makes the sled super snappy.
Jaws Pipe Kit with extra venting in the front nose cone and ECU Flash from Arctic Edge in hillcrest Alberta.

My team clutch started to stick last trip west last season. I tried blowing it out, took the spring to a guy in town to get tested it was good. I cleaned everything perfectly. Checked the spider rollers, no cracks anywhere but still stuck. Was looking at maybe upgrading the clutch to the ADAPT primary.

Anyone have a comparison thread made up i couldn't find one
i switched to the adapt for a few hundred miles last year, the spring mine came with was a little light and i wasnt pulling the rpm i should have. overall it seemed to run the same as my old clutch. mine has the 80-225 spring i think it is and some others came with a 80-255 spring. the heavier spring should bring the rpm back up.

M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon
Do the flywheel keys work from the Suzuki motors?

I don’t see anyone specifically listing them for the 2018+ ctek motors.

Also what does arctic edge charge for a remap? I’ve read lots of positive reviews of his work.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
If you do an ECU re-flash you shouldn't need a timing key as they should be making timing changes in the mapping. Probably why the keys are less common now.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
The 2.5 degree advance keys have been working good in the CTEC 400s (blast/venom). I will be trying one in a new 800 this winter.

Does anyone have experience with milling the stock heads? How tight can you run the squish? I know the chamber design is way different compared to aftermarket domes but figured it might be worth a try because I have access to a lathe and milling machine.
I did mill about .030” but never installed. I was scared of piston contact.
I think .010 - .020” would be good.
It’s just a guess but .060-.080” was stock squish. I’ll check my notes and holla back.
What elevation are you running at?

Dec 1, 2007
livingston MT
I did mill about .030” but never installed. I was scared of piston contact.
I think .010 - .020” would be good.
It’s just a guess but .060-.080” was stock squish. I’ll check my notes and holla back.
What elevation are you running at?

7k-10k feet, I have compared the OEM 400cc to aftermarket head, looks like milling the OEM .015" would still be safe on squish, but still not even close on compression, might try milling both head surface and squish band to gain compression and stay safe on squish. I will experimenting on the 400 before I tackle the 800 head.

A
Dec 21, 2018
So far I have a alpha Tki belt drive, full jaws big shark, what performance mods would you be doing next?

Lightweight rotating mass kit?
Head?
Reflash?

I’m leaning towards dropping rotating mass, lightweight helix, ti bolts & clutch pins, clutch cover, machine the brake rotor and whatever else I can get my hands on.

Strictly performance conversation here, maybe you know of something I don’t?
A Polaris 900... ???

M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon
Sounds like all it needs is gas and oil ?
That is true but I’d like a little more out of it. Gunna pull my flywheel and brake rotor for zrp to machine down, and have a light weight helix added to the return shipping box lol

Head and reflash after I decide on who’s flash. At least that is the plan for now

Premium Features