• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Newly developed bog/sled falls on its face

A

anziconda

Dec 10, 2007
My sled was doing the same thing and it was fuel pump/pick-ups. I cut in a t to the fuel line and hooked a pressure gauge to it that I could watch while riding. The pressure very obviously dropped right when the big would occur. Another fairly easy test that will help you out. My big was just like what you are describing.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
My sled was doing the same thing and it was fuel pump/pick-ups. I cut in a t to the fuel line and hooked a pressure gauge to it that I could watch while riding. The pressure very obviously dropped right when the big would occur. Another fairly easy test that will help you out. My big was just like what you are describing.
I got my fingers crossed it was the injectors for the money and time spent on them, but if it’s not, Did you end up replacing the pump or pickups? How did you hook up the gauge? Just cut the factory line and clamp the gauge in?

A

anziconda

Dec 10, 2007
I replaced the pump and pickups at the same time. I think they were sold together if I remember right. I cut the factory line to install the gauge and bought a new fuel line to replace the cut one once I figured out the problem. It’s a bitch figuring out an intermittent problem on these. I was stoked to see how obvious the pressure loss showed up on the gauge. Hope this helps, good luck!!

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Just rode about ten laps around the field and so far so good so hopefully the injectors were the issue. Gonna try and get it out on an actual ride tomorrow and see how it goes.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Just got back from an awesome ride and the sled ran great. So It appears the injectors were the issue. I also installed some slp magforce weights and so far they seem to be working well in the adapt.

S
Apr 7, 2010
Vern, so did you just put in the new injectors w/o any "programming" Asking because I'm dealing with an over fueling problem on my 18, testing the fuel pump today but wanted to ask in advance in case the pump/regulator test out fine.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Vern, so did you just put in the new injectors w/o any "programming" Asking because I'm dealing with an over fueling problem on my 18, testing the fuel pump today but wanted to ask in advance in case the pump/regulator test out fine.

No, I took pictures of the tags on the new injectors prior to installing them and had the dealer program them after install.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Thanks, good to know, so I would have to install, then take to dealer and they hook up their programmer to my system then?
Yeah, just remember to get pictures of the injector tags and remember which injector goes in which cylinder because they need that info when programming them.

dunatyk

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Vern
Are you just using the weights or are you using their springs and helix also? I’m running Sniper weights in an adapt but I think I want to switch to the SLP
weights. I had really good luck with them in the Team primary

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Vern
Are you just using the weights or are you using their springs and helix also? I’m running Sniper weights in an adapt but I think I want to switch to the SLP
weights. I had really good luck with them in the Team primary

I started out with just the weights and the 45 degree helix and secondary spring that I had from Mds, but was lacking a bit on rpm so I went to a bit stiffer bdx primary spring, I believe it was a 105/280. they’ve been working good overall, but noticed on the last ride on long wide open deep climbs that the rpm was dropping off a bit so I caved and ordered the secondary spring from slp that they suggested and I’ll be trying that out tomorrow.

So to summarize I currently have the slp weights, bdx 105/280? primary spring, 45 helix and slp 200/280 sec spring.

Slp told me they run their blue/pink primary spring which is like 130/340 or something like that, 46 helix, and 200/280 sec spring. So I should be pretty close to they’re set up.

If the slp sec spring improves back shift without hurting up shift then I’ll be happy with what I’ve got.

S
Apr 7, 2010
Update. So went through all connections, tested out in spec. Put it back together, started first pull, ran it hard Sunday, started doing a semi bog/stall as we were heading back to the truck on the trail. Back to a hard start- 3 pulls min. IDK chasing ghosts, we'll see this coming weekend.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Update. So went through all connections, tested out in spec. Put it back together, started first pull, ran it hard Sunday, started doing a semi bog/stall as we were heading back to the truck on the trail. Back to a hard start- 3 pulls min. IDK chasing ghosts, we'll see this coming weekend.
What RPM's were you seeing the semi bog/stall ? We have been seeing them around 5400 /5600 stock and turbo sleds

P
Feb 14, 2023
texas
I have it out I’ll try and get a good look at the tach. I also forgot to try messing with electrical connections like old & slow suggested, but where it seems to get worse the hotter it gets I dunno if that would be it.

ziggity

Premium Member
Mar 30, 2015
2020 alpha 800, owned since new, always has ran fine out side of the occasional little hiccup these ctecs are known for. Beginning of last season sled was running great, team clutch cracked and the sled sat for a month waiting for adapt parts. Got it back together and that’s when issues appeared. the rest of last season it would randomly fall on its face, like it dropped a cylinder, usually at an inopportune time, but would clear out and run fine again the rest of the day. This was not frequent, wouldn’t even happen on every ride. Finished out the season like that and put it up until fall when I started looking into it. Pulled the hood and put new plugs in, checked the tps which was in spec, towards the low side, but in spec and appeared to be moving smoothly, pulled apart and dielectric greased all the connections I could see. Put fresh gas and some sea foam. We finally got enough snow at the house to take it for a spin and it has now gotten more consistent. Seems to fall on its face for 2-3 seconds every time I mash the throttle from a stop or slow roll. Not just a hiccup, feels like you hit the kill switch and then pull it up again. After that it clears up and runs fine. Occasionally it will do it once I’m already at wot as well. It also back fired once today. Haven’t seen any codes flash. Anyone have any ideas? Have read about injector issues, but I feel that would be more severe. What symptoms do bad reeds cause? I’m trying round up a bore scope to look at those. Could bad spark plug caps cause something like this? The tops of the old plugs were quite worn from vibration.

Sorry for the long post, any suggestions appreciated.
Was it throwing a code? My father has a 2018 that is throwing a knock sensor code after going WOT that we are trying to figure out.

Premium Features