• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Newb thinking about trying 163"

law.74

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 16, 2017
I'm fairly new to mountain riding. I primarily ride a Khaos 155" in the Sierras. Nursing shoulder problems has kept me from advancing as well as I'd like.
I weigh a 140# without gear FWIW.

I think I'd benefit from a longer track relative to my tunnel. Too much stuck time which I attribute more to lack of skill than anything else.
Debating between shortening the tunnel (permanent) vs running a 163" track & a 155" tunnel (temporary).

ZRP just released a rail extension bracket to allow one to run a 163. $200 for this item. The other option is $450 for ice age rails.
Both would require new hyfax and track, obviously. Any thing else needed?
Extensions would be less work and cash especially if I go back to 155.
New rails would be lighter...

Any opinions on these two options?

Thanks in advance.

BrapBirk

Lifetime Membership
Aug 8, 2017
Whats up man. I also ride in the Sierra Nevada in the Tahoe Region. Where are you riding?

Looks like you have done most of your homework on this topic. I believe either option would work for a rider at your skill level. If money is not the driving force for the purchase, get the rails. If you want to run a budget set up that will work just fine for you, get the extenders.

law.74

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 16, 2017
Whats up man. I also ride in the Sierra Nevada in the Tahoe Region. Where are you riding?

Looks like you have done most of your homework on this topic. I believe either option would work for a rider at your skill level. If money is not the driving force for the purchase, get the rails. If you want to run a budget set up that will work just fine for you, get the extenders.
Thanks for the reply. We're Reno based and ride LTS and Hope Valley mostly. Open to suggestions...

X
Oct 8, 2009
Run the longer track. Especially if your newer to mountain riding. Longer tracks with bigger lugs are more forgiving. Make sure whatever track you put in it has a big lug. More bite = less stuck.

law.74

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 16, 2017
Run the longer track. Especially if your newer to mountain riding. Longer tracks with bigger lugs are more forgiving. Make sure whatever track you put in it has a big lug. More bite = less stuck.
Any thoughts on rail extensions vs new rails?

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
No reason to do rails other than looks.
extensions are plenty tough and easier to install.

it’s your Money.

I would start with a 155 tunnel and put a camso 162x3 track on it.
Avid Extrovert drivers and mtntk anti stab.

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership

“Less work”.... ?..... still need to pull track and driveshaft.

I’ve done the conversion plenty of times, have also cut tunnels.

I might have some 163” rails in my shop in Truckee. I’m currently in Australia working Australian Superbike— will be home first week in December.

I think you will prefer the 163” track. ✊??

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
“Less work”.... ?..... still need to pull track and driveshaft.

I’ve done the conversion plenty of times, have also cut tunnels.

I might have some 163” rails in my shop in Truckee. I’m currently in Australia working Australian Superbike— will be home first week in December.

I think you will prefer the 163” track.
I assume he means bolting on extensions vs taking the skid apart and putting it back together.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
You will also need to buy wheels with ice age rails. You need 8" wheels. But hyfax comes with the rails.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Stock wheels work with ice age rails, I would keep it as a 155 tunnel, add the rail extension and look for a take off 163".

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
Stock wheels work with ice age rails, I would keep it as a 155 tunnel, add the rail extension and look for a take off 163".
They might work but its not right, they are designed for 8 or 9" wheels

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
And this picture is why it doesnt work. It would probably be fine if all you did was go forward but it would be tipped up in the rear. But any time your in reverse it will catch the hyfax
78e9374a5d51214cc6dd92d643bcc7b2.jpg

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
163 will be really handy for learning, more forgiving means more riding time, less stuck. happy guy.

Personal build would be avid "cat style" drivers, iceage rails precut for anti stab and one of their anti-stab kits. Your able to free up a deecent amount of rolling resistance and helps the sleds work better. Maybe not major seat of the pants difference but it all adds up to better working combo.

Also if your riding a thicker snow id def look at the camso X3. Not a freak for OEM poo tracks.

law.74

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 16, 2017
thanks for replies.

...extensions are plenty tough and easier to install

...start with a 155 tunnel and put a camso 162x3 track on it.
Avid Extrovert drivers and mtntk anti stab.
Does hat track require a change in pitch as well?
Anti stab due to change in driver diameter? pardon my ignorance...
“Less work”.... ?..... still need to pull track and driveshaft...
I think you will prefer the 163” track. ✊??
not much I suppose.
I'm definitely intrigued and ready to give it a shot.
Also interested in shortening a tunnel on another 155. I'll message backchannel...
I assume he means bolting on extensions vs taking the skid apart and putting it back together.
correct, probably negligible labor though.
You will also need to buy wheels with ice age rails. You need 8" wheels. But hyfax comes with the rails.
I'm not hearing much downside to extensions at this point. Cost is less. Weight is a bit more.
Ignoring extroverts and anti-stab for now (need to read more) this is the difference in cost.
Ice age rails & hyfax: $450-550, 8" wheels $100-$250 = $650-800 plus track
ZRP extensions: $200, Hyfax $50 = $250 plus track
I'd definitely like to find a take off 163" in good shape to minimize the added variables when comparing to 155s this winter.

That said, I'm open to trying new tracks, but I don't know what I don't know. All my experience is with Polaris series 6 155 2.6 and a few miles on series 8 155 2.75.

thanks again,
Law

law.74

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 16, 2017
163 will be really handy for learning, more forgiving means more riding time, less stuck. happy guy...

Also if your riding a thicker snow id def look at the camso X3. Not a freak for OEM poo tracks.
I like the sound of that. My shoulders could use less stuck...
I'll look into the camso x3. thx

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
I like the sound of that. My shoulders could use less stuck...
I'll look into the camso x3. thx
I love my 156 x3. Take this fwiw, but last season i ran stock 2.86 drivers on my x3 an did not run an antistab. This year while switching to 3" extroverts and an antistab i set the drivers on top of each other and stock 2.86 and 3" avid drivers have same diameter and had no unusual wear on them. I wouldnt hesitate to run stock 2.86 drivers with a 3"pitch track again.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
ullose272, I ran stock wheels on ice age rails for 200 miles. 2 other sleds with 2100 and 1400 miles same setup. After the iceage wheels broke, we tried stock wheels on 1 sled and it worked fine.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT

Totally with this with regard to track length, although a >=3" lug on an AXYS are known to give diminishing returns in some conditions. When I picked up my new-to-me sled a year ago, I thought I wanted a 155. I'm average height and do a fair bit of running, so I'm maybe 175 ready to ride. Going by size, I definitely don't "need" a long track, but I'm still learning and made a big jump over my old sled for last season. Having spent a day on a 155 the previous season, I really appreciated the more forgiving nature of the longer track. As for the how, you could just list the track and rails for sale, then go from there if you get a good price for them. Nothing wrong with track extensions though, and if you can afford to keep the current track, that gives you the option to swap back and forth.

D
Nov 17, 2008
I'm fairly new to mountain riding. I primarily ride a Khaos 155" in the Sierras. Nursing shoulder problems has kept me from advancing as well as I'd like.
I weigh a 140# without gear FWIW.

I think I'd benefit from a longer track relative to my tunnel. Too much stuck time which I attribute more to lack of skill than anything else.
Debating between shortening the tunnel (permanent) vs running a 163" track & a 155" tunnel (temporary).

ZRP just released a rail extension bracket to allow one to run a 163. $200 for this item. The other option is $450 for ice age rails.
Both would require new hyfax and track, obviously. Any thing else needed?
Extensions would be less work and cash especially if I go back to 155.
New rails would be lighter...

Any opinions on these two options?

Thanks in advance.

Note Going from 155 to 165 is only 5" extend rails. Takes 10" track to go 5" on both the top and bottom of track

K
Jun 30, 2017
163 will be really handy for learning, more forgiving means more riding time, less stuck. happy guy.

Personal build would be avid "cat style" drivers, iceage rails precut for anti stab and one of their anti-stab kits. Your able to free up a deecent amount of rolling resistance and helps the sleds work better. Maybe not major seat of the pants difference but it all adds up to better working combo.

i have this setup on an 800 stage 2 slp and it rips, super forgiving setup

Premium Features