• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New Utah Snowmobiler - Ice Fishing

J
Mar 22, 2019
Howdy,

At 61 my doctors tell me to "find a new hobby". Apparently my knees are falling apart and they no longer recommend that I backpack.. like I used to. FYI last year two of my sons and I completed an 8-day 65-mile trek across the Uintas, mostly following the Highline Trail, including King's peak.

So,... I decided to get a snowmobile (is it OK to call them sleds?) or two for ice fishing - manually towing that ice sled full of gear out and back aggravates the knees. I had discovered how much funner the fishing can be on on a snowmobile after going out with a friend up in Idaho on one of his.

I ended up with two (and a ride-on/off trailer):
2002 Polaris RMK700 151"
and
1999 Yamaha Phazer 500D.

(Why 2? Well, two is better than one. And I couldn't decide between them as the Polaris included the trailer. And I can invite a friend along as well, like my friend did.)

The RMK is more than I need, but I hope the extra track length will help keep me from bogging down in the slush (which is often bad at Strawberry Res, my favorite ice fishing spot). I'm also hoping the Phazer is light enough to not sink either, or at least be easier to dig out when necessary.

The wife thinks it will be fun to do a little trail-riding, too. So, we'll see.

I usually dive whole-hog into any hobby I take up, but usually the LEARNING aspect. I don't think you'll find me screaming up and hills or floating deep powder: I don't think the knees would be happy about any mishaps.

Well, I've rambled too much - as I often do, never a short answer here.

Jimboha

PS Anyone looking for an ice fishing partner???

Premium Features