• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New Turbo Kit

H
Jun 30, 2019
St Anthony, Idaho
Who’s turbo kit? I’m no turbo expert but I didn’t know you could place the turbo vertically instead of the normal horizontal way. Thought something to do with turbo lubrication.

nytro41

Premium Member
Oct 11, 2008
Some where in the hills ID
Who’s turbo kit? I’m no turbo expert but I didn’t know you could place the turbo vertically instead of the normal horizontal way. Thought something to do with turbo lubrication.

The company is called Solid, they figured out a way to oil it vertically. They have a facebook page up. https://www.facebook.com/solidturbo/. Thats where i got the pictures

Solid Turbos

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 19, 2018
UTAH
You guys see this turbo kit. This kit is clean looking. The Innovation is pretty cool
bypasses the system under vacuum for better throttle response it looks like.
It is a low pressure by-pass so the sled breaths atmospheric air until the charge box reaches atmospheric pressure and then the by-pass closes. It stops the turbo from restricting air flow to the motor on the bottom end.

Solid Turbos

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 19, 2018
UTAH
The company is called Solid, they figured out a way to oil it vertically. They have a facebook page up. https://www.facebook.com/solidturbo/. Thats where i got the pictures
You are correct. You can not normally mount an oiled turbo vertically unless you have figured out how to oil the top set of bearings. The center section of the turbo has been modified and the top set of bearing get oiled directly.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Nothing really new or “innovative”, just stuff used on other kits over the years. The reeds in the airbox trick was tried a number of years ago without a lot of success. A number of other turbo manufacturers including ovs and boondocker have mounted turbos vertically over the years. The bolt and spring idea to mount the pipe to the turbo was used on a lot of ovs and twisted kits back on the m-series. It’s a good looking kit, but kind of late coming to a game that’s almost over with every manufacturer with factory turbo sleds by this time next year.

nytro41

Premium Member
Oct 11, 2008
Some where in the hills ID
Nothing really new or “innovative”, just stuff used on other kits over the years. The reeds in the airbox trick was tried a number of years ago without a lot of success. A number of other turbo manufacturers including ovs and boondocker have mounted turbos vertically over the years. The bolt and spring idea to mount the pipe to the turbo was used on a lot of ovs and twisted kits back on the m-series. It’s a good looking kit, but kind of late coming to a game that’s almost over with every manufacturer with factory turbo sleds by this time next year.

very true for sure. i disagree with is the reed in the airbox. if it wasn't successful before its because they didn't do it right. i say that because now skidoo has done it and it works in theirs. its not a reed cage but same idea. vertically mounted turbos have never been an oiled vertically mounted. all of them have been grease except the aerocharger ones.

kgra

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
British Columbia
Now a days everyone is plugging the drain port on turbo and supplying oil with the factory oil pump, Which is working well. This keeps the cavity full of oil all the time no matter the angle. I’d assume these guys are oiling this way too.

kgra

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
British Columbia
I didn’t see where it says ecu reflash, any one got any other details or info on this kit that is not in this post already?

X
Oct 8, 2009
Now a days everyone is plugging the drain port on turbo and supplying oil with the factory oil pump, Which is working well. This keeps the cavity full of oil all the time no matter the angle. I’d assume these guys are oiling this way too.

Correct. The silver plug is on the left and the 90 degree oil feed is on the right side of the turbo; the feed is made from braided brake line. The black lines are coolant lines. Two strokes are not that hard on turbos since they are far away from the port and they don't get hot like four stroke turbo with a lot of back pressure. I am not surprised they are getting away with this given how robust turbos are today.

That reed setup is a weak point. They won't handle much boost without breaking and they will leak pressure since they are not a perfect seal. Nice try, but they need to use an electric bypass that is programmed to open under vacuum and is strong enough to seal under pressure.

Last edited:

spag900

Premium Member
Dec 15, 2007
From what I've been able to read.... Low boost application turbo system, 210hp at 900 FT elev with 5.8lbs boost. Still in Beta stages so looking for test guinea pigs. $6400USD puts it up there with SC damn near too.. Clean looking kit thou, thats for sure.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Nothing new? LOL, except it works. Unlike any of the other kits that are complete sh!t that has been put on the market previously. Boondicker and slober.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Correct. The silver plug is on the left and the 90 degree oil feed is on the right side of the turbo; the feed is made from braided brake line. The black lines are coolant lines. Two strokes are not that hard on turbos since they are far away from the port and they don't get hot like four stroke turbo with a lot of back pressure. I am not surprised they are getting away with this given how robust turbos are today.

That reed setup is a weak point. They won't handle much boost without breaking and they will leak pressure since they are not a perfect seal. Nice try, but they need to use an electric bypass that is programmed to open under vacuum and is strong enough to seal under pressure.
They actually have proof it does so you should quit assuming. This kit destroys the doo boost for boost.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
From what I've been able to read.... Low boost application turbo system, 210hp at 900 FT elev with 5.8lbs boost. Still in Beta stages so looking for test guinea pigs. $6400USD puts it up there with SC damn near too.. Clean looking kit thou, thats for sure.
The SC is to damn heavy though. The high elevation kits I've road worked well but just took the fun out of it with weight. Way more fun.
I really don't like the SC for that reason. Yet this kit I have fun and havent started any weight loss yet. Look forward to dropping weight and getting the new clutch. Going to be even better than before.

FiveFingerMethPunch

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2018
Utah
That’s funny looks like both factory turbo sleds have something very similar…. Looks like it works pretty well when Polaris pretty much copied their whole design… Solid’s kit was being tested years before Polaris had a vertical mounted turbo with reeds in the charge box.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
People have been mounting reeds in the air box for many years (20+) as well at verticle mounting turbos. Not likely that Polaris “copied” anyone, they just built what they thought was the best functioning kit for the maytrx platform.

Premium Features