• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New Trailer Time / First Snow Trailer

zblink

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Mi
Sorry everyone.... Yes another trailer thread, and yes i have been searching and lurking for a while both on here and other places looking for information on trailers.
- Not new to towing, very familiar with boat trailers up to 24ft, 12 - 16 ft bumper pulls (cargo and dump)
- Never had gooseneck or 5th wheel
- Never done my cross country snowmobiling excursions with a trailer and I know how the weather can be in the Dakotas, Wyoming, and Nebraska
---Always done sled in truck bed or sleds on deck

Looking for a trailer to mainly haul the toys to riding areas, I live in the wonderful land where its 26hrs each way so my thinking is to exclude the deck over type of trailers. (Im trying to fix the location issue but its been slow going searching for work out in the wonderful western states)

I will mainly be hauling 2 but will be up to 4 sleds at times.

Old truck had a sled deck, but the new one is unable to have one due to Ram Boxes. I am open to either a bumper pull or gooseneck. I realize that a bumper pull would keep more options open for various vehicles and also if a new vehicle has a deck on it, i could still haul the trailer etc..

The approximate size Im looking at is the 28ft bumper or goosneck trailers from Trails West (Size wise, so like 30ft total length).

What i am able to going to go look at locally this upcoming weekend (still 1.5 to 2hr drive, so not super local)
- InTech
- Legend
- Triton
(No Gooseneck options at these couple of locations)

Most dealers around here don't post prices but the one or two that do have me expecting the following
$11-18K price range (maybe more for ATC / InTech)
25 - 30 ft trailer, looking at either the 7.5ft wide or full width (would prefer the full width)
Aluminum construction
16in on centers
Not insulated
1 helmet cabinet
Man door
Front Door on V nose
Finished walls and ceiling and plywood floor

Options / variations i have seen on dealer websites and will be able to go look at next weekend
- Spread Axles
- Fuel Doors
- Tie down options ( Some just come with a couple D rings in the floor, others have L trac etc..)

Benches, lights etc would be extra on top of the ball park price range i have seen.

I would like decent lighting, heat, a way to sit down and hang up clothing. Having all of my gear, some parts and tools with me etc all packed away into a trailer would be nice.

Ideally with a gooseneck i would like to just park and do my couple of overnight stops by sleeping in the deck over portion for the trip out and back, Since i mainly do the drive solo with a dog in tow it usually takes me 3 to 4 days for the 26 - 30 hr drive. Each hotel stop is around 120/night so that adds up just on the excursion there and back. (multiple hotel stops possibly not an option this upcoming winter?)

Went from a 2500 Duramax to a 2500 Gasser (a new truck may be a purchase happening in a couple of weeks due to Lemon Law....we will see)

So my main questions.....

Does a gooseneck pull that much better than a 7.5ft wide bumper pull "inline"? Outside of the 1 - 2 trips a year i get to peel away from work i dont tow / haul frequently, but still would be nice to use it to move or for ATVs / SxS's
- The consensus on here is yes

Is the spread axle option a worth while option or is it take it or leave it?

Then lastly if a Legend / Triton / InTech bumper pull puts me into the $15 - 25K range for a fairly un-optioned bumper pull. Would I just be better suited trying to find a Keith Curtis Charmac, Chris Burandt Trails West, or Elevation Packaged Mission / High Country? The 28ft bumper pulls are around 25K and same sized goosenecks around 30-35K

i could give up on the heat and amenities save that 10K with a fairly un-optioned trailer, still end up with a Legend or similar. That leaves a lot of money for hotel rooms for the trips out and back each year.

I realize an ATC / Intech may be constructed better than the Charmac / Trailswest / ALCOM brands but if trailers are built like RV's they are ALL built by blind orangutans with a drinking problem.

I have heard quality issues with the Burandt series of trailers with both fit and finish and rust issues, so that concerns me along with not much information on what the O.C. distances are and warranty terms etc.. Have also heard the manufacturer is hard to get ahold of.

Ultimately a trailer is not a purchase i can remotely get excited about, its just another registration, insurance, more tires on the road, many roads and passes close for trailer usage first before other traffic, parking becomes more of an issue, etc....
- And its just going to sit for 7 - 8 months out of the year

Keeping an eye out on craigslist shows i can pay a nearly new trailer price for something 5yrs old or older.
- Also most trailer warranties only apply to original owner, so leaning towards new.

Can option / spec out something but would need it before Feb. 2021 (so that may limit manufacturer based on factory build timing, some say 6 weeks others say 12 weeks+)

Brands I am interested in

Trails West
- 2 dealers, both about 3 - 4 hrs from me
- QC / Warranty issues?
- Steel will Rust
- Deck over design (not ideal)
- Bumper or Goose
- Pricing seems confusing to me, some 28ft bumper pulls are 27K but can be optioned up to 34K (Goosnecks from 30 to 40K for the 28ft)

ATC
- Probably custom build only option (Raven series is out)
- Dealer about 1.5hr away
- Bumper or Goose

In-Tech
- 2 or 3 bumper pull models on lot to look at
- Custom build an option
- Aluminum skin under wood floor, good for road protection, but possible drainage issues?
- Walkable roof
- Bumper or Goose

Legend
- a couple dealers at or within 2hr
- factory is 2 - 2.5 hrs away
- specs seem good
- both 7.5 or 8.5ft widths available
- bumper options only
-options seem ala-cart
-stainless hardware

Triton
- dealer 1.5 hrs away
- factory 6 hrs away
- options seem ala-cart

Charmac
- Nearest Dealer (1250 miles)
- Seems most are steel trailers
- Very few K.C. packaged builds
- Bumper or Goose

Logan
- Nearest Dealer (3 - 4 hrs)
- No "local" sled trailers to view, horse only
- steel build less of concern due to being galvanized
- Bumper or Goose
- $$$$ compared to all the rest (Zbroz package)

Mission / High Country
- Dealer about 2 hrs away
- Nothing on lot (Custom Build or ship from other dealer)
- Bumper or Goose
- Elevation Packaged trailers seem reasonably priced

Neo
- 3 to 4 Dealers within 1.5hrs away
- Factory 3 hrs away
- Bumper only
- Ala Cart options

Fearless Catman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
The Sheyenne River Valley of ND
You sound like me from a few years ago. Good questions and observations. Also looks like you have put in some research too which is very helpful among the brands you have listed. Dealer access is nice but that don't seem to matter much anymore compared to 10 years ago namely warranty/service work. I think dealers selling multiple lines make it a little more challenging but also factory support can be very very slow in some cases. Get a little bigger than you think you need. Almost everyone I know that buys one says they wish they went bigger. However, just a friendly tip to be mindful of.....you may already know that. Steel trailers depreciate badly and that is by design obviously. Yet I see many used steel trailers trying to sell for close to new. I would buy new no question, but I will never buy a steel enclosed trailer again. Aluminum trailers do not depreciate as much and that is by design obviously too. At least for some quality build brands but not all. I would buy aluminum all day long even if they were somewhat close to new provided that they are of quality brands. I am in a industry where steel trailers and aluminum trailers dot the landscape and see the same thing. 26,0000 and over category. As the saying goes, you do get what you pay for when it comes to steel and quality aluminum trailers.

I've bought several trailers over the years and towed other people's trailers over the years as well from ND to the Mountains and to answer you question, yes a gooseneck tows better than an bumper inline. I've owned both. I've grown to hate the inline after one year just because I can't get much use out of it because it is to dang narrow to fit a vehicle in and some wider toys. But they do tow better than a bumper deck over for sure. Do they tow better than a bumper pull 8,5 all sort? No I don't think so. In all reality an inline is basically just better option for the half tonner crowd and for good reason.

27' Haulmark deckover
33' United deckover
29' United inline
28' Mirage 8.5 All Sport
42' Mission Elevation GN (all alum)

Friends I've pulled
27' Inline (can't recall brand offhand but it was all alum)
18' Haulmark deckover
34' and 28' Trails West GN
38' United GN (Steel)

I've looked into Trails West, ATC, Featherlight, Sundowner, and Intech. Since I already towed a couple Trails West, I ruled that out because I did not like their set up/design. Ruled out the featherlite obviously because of $$. I ruled out Intech because I could not get a steady flow of communication from a local dealer. ATC and Sundowner was at the same dealer and it was clear that the ATC and the Sundowner was not "experienced" in caterging to the snowmobile crowd. I felt they were not experienced enough to convert their car hauler model to an all around sports model. Logan was ruled out because of the distance to dealership. That left the Mission as the only option then at the time. I now own a 42' Mission Elevation and this is the best trailer I have ever owned and towed. Love it. I would get the same one again with minor modifications as well as a little longer. I've gotten rid of a couple open trailers and now use my 42' Mission Elevation to do the same work those did so it became more multi-use and that was what I was looking for to get out of it besides hauling just snowmobiles and side by sides year round. With my 42', I have 32' of floor which is about4 feet more than I needed but was just perfect and I ended up using up those 4 extra feet. It does have spread axles too. People think its too long and too heavy but I haven't had any issues getting to anywhere we go. It weighs around 6,000 empty. My Duramax does not know its back there when hooked up to it.

Good luck

Last edited:

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
IMO:

ATC is the great. currently own 2 (car hauler and raven snowmobile) cant recommend them enough.

Charmac - made 2 hours from my house. i had a custom one years ago and it was great. heavy and steel rusts (nothing against Charmac at all. If i was to buy a steel trailer again it would be Charmac for sure).

Trails west. ordered a new one years ago - horrible. rust within weeks,, panels falling out of the inside, frames cracking, bad warranty service. also i really do not like the sloped floor.

Intech - buddy has one. i put it on the same level as ATC

Logan - they are heavy and i don't like the looks of that weird angled rear portion. personal preference i know.

R
Jan 13, 2015
I search for a year looked at them all and visited a few plants to see the build. Ended up with a Trails West RPM 28 GN and it has been a great trailer. Fit and finish it great. IMO the Logan stands first but also cost another 10-15k and weighed in at 9k empty (also too tall). I ended up ordering one from a dealer near you over stock on hand. Wanted more lights installed and a few other options. I liked the ATC but felt like I was forcing a car trailer into a snowmobile trailer.

bkm20x

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Arnolds Park, IA
I recently sold a 2008 36' Haulmark Gooseneck and am looking to go to a bumper pull sport combo trailer a few I have looked at and or quoted below.
Dark Horse
Wells Cargo
Criterion
Neo
Stealth
Mission
Legend
The few trails West I have been in are great trailers both gooseneck and bumber pulls.
Loved my Gooseneck but looking for a little smaller trailer and flexibility with tow vehicles. Wish I could see more of these in person also.

IFlyEm

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 1, 2008
Temecula, CA
If you're in the Midwest definitely go aluminum. Steel doesn't last long. When I was shopping for a gooseneck originally I wanted an ATC but then started looking at Sundowners. I ended up moving to California and went steel. But I were in the land of salted roads Sundowner would be my first choice for balance of quality and price.

zblink

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Mi
If you're in the Midwest definitely go aluminum. Steel doesn't last long. When I was shopping for a gooseneck originally I wanted an ATC but then started looking at Sundowners. I ended up moving to California and went steel. But I were in the land of salted roads Sundowner would be my first choice for balance of quality and price.

Yea the only steel trailer i woud feel half ok to purchase is the Logan because its galvanized, i would have a feeling a Trails West would last 3 years before its toast without a lot of undercarriage up keep. I am not ruling them out completely but they are lower on the list of desire to buy just for the fact of being a steel trailer.

F7arcticcat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I had a legend 7.5x31x6.5 and traded for a 2018 trailswest gn 28. The legend is a very nice trailer and pulled great if the wind was less than 15mph. Anything over and it threw me around and made for am uncomfortable trip.My tow pickup is a 2019 f250 6.2gasser and trips are typically 12 hours one way. Unless you are going to put good insulation in the wall and spray foam the floor I don't think trying to add heat is worth it.
I absolutely love my trailswest (so do my buddies). Towing with a gooseneck is so much more enjoyable with way less driver fatigue. If you are pulling 26 hours i would have a gooseneck. The interior amenities in these trailers are great as well(any of the sled focused goosenecks). I have camped in my trailer on one trip for three nights and it was plenty comfortable. It was below zero at night as well. I have the extreme package so it has an insulated floor as well. Just make sure you have enough propane.
Goodluck!

Nytroty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Chaska, MN
I had a legend 7.5x31x6.5 and traded for a 2018 trailswest gn 28. The legend is a very nice trailer and pulled great if the wind was less than 15mph. Anything over and it threw me around and made for am uncomfortable trip.My tow pickup is a 2019 f250 6.2gasser and trips are typically 12 hours one way. Unless you are going to put good insulation in the wall and spray foam the floor I don't think trying to add heat is worth it.
I absolutely love my trailswest (so do my buddies). Towing with a gooseneck is so much more enjoyable with way less driver fatigue. If you are pulling 26 hours i would have a gooseneck. The interior amenities in these trailers are great as well(any of the sled focused goosenecks). I have camped in my trailer on one trip for three nights and it was plenty comfortable. It was below zero at night as well. I have the extreme package so it has an insulated floor as well. Just make sure you have enough propane.
Goodluck!

That's a big trailer for a 6.2 Gas going 12 hours each way.... How does it do? How slow do you have to go?

F7arcticcat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
That's a big trailer for a 6.2 Gas going 12 hours each way.... How does it do? How slow do you have to go?

Suprisingly well actually. Mostly interstate so 75 to 80 if roads are good, I mostly run in 4th and 5th and select in the manual mode. 5th is fine for anything relatively flat and 4th up the hills. Milage is usually 7 to 7.5 so I am hunting for gas every 200 miles, but my other trailer was no better.

Nytroty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Chaska, MN
Suprisingly well actually. Mostly interstate so 75 to 80 if roads are good, I mostly run in 4th and 5th and select in the manual mode. 5th is fine for anything relatively flat and 4th up the hills. Milage is usually 7 to 7.5 so I am hunting for gas every 200 miles, but my other trailer was no better.
That's actually pretty impressive! I didn't think it would be able to go that fast. We Go from Minneapolis to Wyoming and tow and 29' inline with a 6.4 gas mega cab and usually only get 8-9 mpg so not that big of a difference.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND

Dang !! That's awesome news!

I have a 29 foot , 7 wide Legend and was pulling it with a Ford Super Duty / 6.2 gas and 4.30 gears and it does very well. I just upgraded to the new 7.3 gas with 4.30 gears and have been wondering how a goose neck like a Trails West would do behind this truck?!?!?

I would love to hear more reports on your combo!

F7arcticcat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dang !! That's awesome news!

I have a 29 foot , 7 wide Legend and was pulling it with a Ford Super Duty / 6.2 gas and 4.30 gears and it does very well. I just upgraded to the new 7.3 gas with 4.30 gears and have been wondering how a goose neck like a Trails West would do behind this truck?!?!?

I would love to hear more reports on your combo!

Mine has 3.73, 4.30s would be even better. I think the new 8 and 10 speeds in these gassers will be even better. There are plenty of times I wish I had a gear in-between 4th and 5th. The tw28 pulls so well and isn't stupid heavy, I'd say 10k loaded up with 5 sleds and gear. I smile everything I get to hook up to it

zblink

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Mi
Well was finally able to carry out trip 1 of looking at trailers (sorry life got in the way and at 130miles each way it took a bit a scheduling to get it done)
* Also not ashamed to say i am not interested / looking forward to a trailer purchase and have always seen them as more of a pain in butt than anything else.
- Additional tires to go flat, registration, insurance, makes travel more inconvenient, roads close to trailers before regular traffic etc etc...

All 3 were bumper pull Aluminum Trailers and full width (8.5ft)

I am not / no longer interested in a 7 or 7.5 ft trailer after touring a co-workers and seeing how he would have to basically unload the whole thing to get a certain sled out because they overlapped and couldn't pass each other in 2 rows.

Traveling Solo I am bringing 2 sleds, if I have an additional person that will be either an additional sled (sometimes 2 sleds for that single person) So it would be nice to have "spare sleds" on one side and primary sled on the other.

Trailer #1 Triton 8.5ft x 24ft + 5ft V (about $18K)
+ Seems like it is built solid, good door seals, the single door latching mechanism worked slick.
+ Lighter than the other two trailers looked at with the same GVWR = more payload.
+ Chamfer doors, so the flip over flap not needed
+ 5yr warranty
+ Adjustable tie down system
+ Rear rollers incase of ground out
+ Salem Vents seemed nice
-- Didn't like the 2x6 main frame and then 2x2 stringers ran across that for structure holding the floor, walls and ceiling.
-- No spare tire included
-- Not even a basic helmet cabinet included
-- No man door handle or step

Trailer #2 InTech 8.5ft x 24ft + 5ft V (about $25K)
+ Perimeter Frame, Looked built like a tank and the empty trailer weight backed this up (heaviest of the bunch probably wont be blown around)
+ 5 yr transferable warranty
+ Single Piece Aluminum Skin between frame and wood floor (would protect from road / environment, but might collect water / moisture from snowmobile melt)
+ Walkable roof was neat feature due to trussed roof structure and plywood under the 1 piece skin and on top of the roof trusses (not needed but cool)
+ Spare Tire & Helmet Cabinet
+ A couple LED Interior Lights
+ Man Door Step (slide out design will probably fill with crap and not work when frozen)
+ Beefier / better built doors vs the Triton and a turn handle mechanism (also nice and not the standard cargo door latch)
+ Fully welded from what I could eyeball
-- No man door handle
-- Only a few D Rings included
-- Heaviest = lowest payload @ GVWR of 10K (still around 5K payload available)
-- No side vents (don't know if these are wanted / needed or not, had 2 roof vents)
-- Aluminum skin under wood floor makes me hesitant to add tie downs and super glides as to not wanting to punch a bunch of holes through it

* they had 8.5ft x 20ft + 5ft V models available for slightly less cost, similar configuration and construction but no roof vents and Salem vents on the side

Trailer #3 Legend Trail master 8.5ft x 28ft (6ft V so 22ft box) (about $21K)
+ Perimeter frame built similar to the Intech (maybe slightly less stout, but still head and shoulders above the Triton, which wasn't flimsy)
+ All doors and framing were built by legend (the cargo doors were very nice and how the door fit in the jam was better than the other 2)
+ The 44in wide man door was awesome and would be nice to used suited up with even a backpack on without worry about bumping a side, "fat man" approved
+ The man door had a nice handle
+ Included a helmet cabinet
+ Similar LED interior lighting setup as the InTech
+ Salem and Roof Vents
+ Lifetime structural warranty, 25 years for wood floor and roof
-- Cam bar cargo door closure (least "slick" operating, yes they are all new and the cam bars will always just work and the mechanism isnt internal to the door or door frame)
-- Fully Welded but the stripped trailer frame sample in the showroom had every cross member welded on 3 sides, not completely around

All three of the above would still need added shelving, cabinets, coat hooks, and caliber / superglides added. It would be nice to also have heat, even if in an un-insulated trailer, just to melt off the snowmobiles. Neither dealer would do any of the mentioned install for me before delivery so that would all involve me purchasing and installing on my own.
-- Free time is more of the issue rather than technical capability

(Sorry if adding links isnt kosher, it was just easier than attaching the dealers pictures)

So what i have learned is the following. (added "local" as those dealers are over 250 miles each way vs the 130 miles as i just carried out)

Empty Box, Well built, snowmobile / cargo / car trailer is
- $18 - 26K
- Add $ 1K for ski glides
- Add $ 2K for coat hooks, additional lighting, cabinets and shelves
- Add $ xK if I wanted to add heat of some sort. etc..

Trails West 28ft Bumper Pull
- $25 - 29K from what i have seen online and on "local" dealers websites
- Pretty much ready to go
* nothing available "locally" to look at until Jan 2021

Trails West 28ft Gooseneck
- $ 33 - 39K again from what I have come across "locally"
- Better deals from some of the out west dealers but u-ship shipping quotes were 1500 - 2000 in shipping them out to me.

Logan Coach 29ft Bumper Pull
- $38K on order to "local dealer"

Logan Coach 31ft Goose Neck
- $40K on lot from out west dealer (add about 2K in shipping)
- $50K on order "locally"
* The dry weight is 9100lbs vs 6K of the trails west, yes more metal = better built i understand that
** Too heavy for current setup (see below for explanation)

I am at the same money for a 28ft Trails West Bumper pull vs a 28ft empty aluminum bumper pull once i add a couple shelves or cabinets and some super glide
- Seeing the aluminum trailers in person they are built stout and will last 10+ yrs easily, how cheaply made are these trails west trailers?
(because the comparing the Logan trailers on paper they are an additional 10K and 1/3 more weight)

I would like a gooseneck trailer but i am not sure it is the wisest purchase for the additional cost ($6-10K more) and also with the current trucks current payload rating. (also limits someone else towing a gooseneck if they have a sled deck etc..)
*That extra $6K could be 2 or 3 more trips out west

- 2019 Ram 2500 Power Wagon, Door sticker says 1000lbs payload and I have significantly less than that remaining per the CAT scale (again, new truck maybe happening between now and Jan)
- A gooseneck will be 25-ish % tongue weight on truck vs 10 - 15% of a bumper pull
Assuming 10K gross weight that's 1000lbs on truck vs 2500lbs (barely over weight vs VERY over weight)

* Yes i know most will say add airbags and run it.

So I think mentally i have narrowed it down to a 28ft Trails West or the Legend / InTech Bumper Pull trailers (same money basically)
* cant bring myself to pay $40+ for a trailer that I'm going to pull a few times a year so that rules out Logan unfortunately)

I honestly think the 28ft Trails West gooseneck is pushing it on truck legal gvwr wise
- capability wise i think i would be ok.

1. How nice is ability to flick on the lights, have a place to sit down etc..
- The stereo is meh in my mind

2. How well does the heat work (specifically the boot and glove drying)? Its always entertaining to either have to rotate gear on a 2 or 3 day cycle to let completely dry or its a fight for the tiny heat register in the hotel room between the couple of you to try and get dry gear for the next morning.
- If the boot / glove dryer sucks and I cant just run the furnace for whatever i can set the timer to and be good for the next day, I might as well add a large propane heater myself to a aluminum trailer.

3. How is the build of the Trails West (any better throughout the years compared to the horror story threads i have read about on this forum)?
- Can someone take some pictures of underneath theirs, both the main frame, the stringers out to the floor etc..
- I know some of the cost difference is steel vs aluminum but it the Trails West is built on tooth picks still i am not really interested.
- I can deal with Fluid Filming the undercarriage before hauling it home (rust preventative) but if the welds are complete garbage and im going to have to have it fixed / repaired in 2 years i am even less interested.
* Woolwax / Fluid Film is already a bi-annual ordeal for anything steel in these parts

4. How is the Trails West warranty (I couldn't find any info regarding the such)
- I have heard both InTech and Legend will stand behind their products (from sources other than the dealers visited)

5. The Trails West is deck over design vs. wheel wells inside the trailer
- how much crappier does this tow with allowing so much more air to get underneath?

6. Do i just say F - it and run a 28ft goose for a the remainder of this trucks life?
- at 33 - 39K vs 26 - 29K depending on the configurations compared the upfront spread isnt huge.
- Trucks remaining life could be a few years, or could be a couple weeks left and not even see any of the above trailers. (still in litigation / pending lawsuit)

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
The crazy thing to think about is you can buy a 40’ semi box trailer for $5-8k in nice condition...

Bomb proof floor, no worry about road salt trashing the trailer, doesn’t look fancy so nobody will break in and take your expensive stuff, heavy duty locking options, secure summer storage, haul 8 long tracks!

You can get a decent Freight-liner tractor used for $25-$30k

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
Anything fancy you drag down the road in winter slop is going to get screwed up. I cringe every time I see a $40k trailer going down the road.. Waste of money in my area.

R
Jan 13, 2015
Well was finally able to carry out trip 1 of looking at trailers (sorry life got in the way and at 130miles each way it took a bit a scheduling to get it done)
* Also not ashamed to say i am not interested / looking forward to a trailer purchase and have always seen them as more of a pain in butt than anything else.
- Additional tires to go flat, registration, insurance, makes travel more inconvenient, roads close to trailers before regular traffic etc etc...

All 3 were bumper pull Aluminum Trailers and full width (8.5ft)

I am not / no longer interested in a 7 or 7.5 ft trailer after touring a co-workers and seeing how he would have to basically unload the whole thing to get a certain sled out because they overlapped and couldn't pass each other in 2 rows.

Traveling Solo I am bringing 2 sleds, if I have an additional person that will be either an additional sled (sometimes 2 sleds for that single person) So it would be nice to have "spare sleds" on one side and primary sled on the other.

Trailer #1 Triton 8.5ft x 24ft + 5ft V (about $18K)
+ Seems like it is built solid, good door seals, the single door latching mechanism worked slick.
+ Lighter than the other two trailers looked at with the same GVWR = more payload.
+ Chamfer doors, so the flip over flap not needed
+ 5yr warranty
+ Adjustable tie down system
+ Salem Vents seemed nice
-- Didn't like the 2x6 main frame and then 2x2 stringers ran across that for structure holding the floor, walls and ceiling.
-- Not even a basic helmet cabinet included
-- No man door handle or step

Trailer #2 InTech 8.5ft x 24ft + 5ft V (about $25K)
+ Perimeter Frame, Looked built like a tank and the empty trailer weight backed this up (heaviest of the bunch probably wont be blown around)
+ 5 yr transferable warranty
+ Single Piece Aluminum Skin between frame and wood floor (would protect from road / environment, but might collect water / moisture from snowmobile melt)
+ Walkable roof was neat feature due to trussed roof structure and plywood under the 1 piece skin and on top of the roof trusses (not needed but cool)
+ Spare Tire & Helmet Cabinet
+ A couple LED Interior Lights
+ Man Door Step (slide out design will probably fill with crap and not work when frozen)
+ Beefier / better built doors vs the Triton and a turn handle mechanism (also nice and not the standard cargo door latch)
+ Fully welded from what I could eyeball
-- No man door handle
-- Only a few D Rings included
-- Heaviest = lowest payload @ GVWR of 10K (still around 5K payload available)
-- No side vents (don't know if these are wanted / needed or not, had 2 roof vents)
-- Aluminum skin under wood floor makes me hesitant to add tie downs and super glides as to not wanting to punch a bunch of holes through it

* they had 8.5ft x 20ft + 5ft V models available for slightly less cost, similar configuration and construction but no roof vents and Salem vents on the side

Trailer #3 Legend Trail master 8.5ft x 28ft (6ft V so 22ft box) (about $21K)
+ Perimeter frame built similar to the Intech (maybe slightly less stout, but still head and shoulders above the Triton, which wasn't flimsy)
+ All doors and framing were built by legend (the cargo doors were very nice and how the door fit in the jam was better than the other 2)
+ The 44in wide man door was awesome and would be nice to used suited up with even a backpack on without worry about bumping a side, "fat man" approved
+ The man door had a nice handle
+ Included a helmet cabinet
+ Similar LED interior lighting setup as the InTech
+ Salem and Roof Vents
+ Lifetime structural warranty, 25 years for wood floor and roof
-- Cam bar cargo door closure (least "slick" operating, yes they are all new and the cam bars will always just work and the mechanism isnt internal to the door or door frame)
-- Fully Welded but the stripped trailer frame sample in the showroom had every cross member welded on 3 sides, not completely around

All three of the above would still need added shelving, cabinets, coat hooks, and caliber / superglides added. It would be nice to also have heat, even if in an un-insulated trailer, just to melt off the snowmobiles. Neither dealer would do any of the mentioned install for me before delivery so that would all involve me purchasing and installing on my own.
-- Free time is more of the issue rather than technical capability

(Sorry if adding links isnt kosher, it was just easier than attaching the dealers pictures)

So what i have learned is the following. (added "local" as those dealers are over 250 miles each way vs the 130 miles as i just carried out)

Empty Box, Well built, snowmobile / cargo / car trailer is
- $18 - 26K
- Add $ 1K for ski glides
- Add $ 2K for coat hooks, additional lighting, cabinets and shelves
- Add $ xK if I wanted to add heat of some sort. etc..

Trails West 28ft Bumper Pull
- $25 - 29K from what i have seen online and on "local" dealers websites
- Pretty much ready to go

Trails West 28ft Gooseneck
- $ 33 - 39K again from what I have come across "locally"
- Better deals from some of the out west dealers but u-ship shipping quotes were 1500 - 2000 in shipping them out to me.

Logan Coach 29ft Bumper Pull
- $38K on order to "local dealer"

Logan Coach 31ft Goose Neck
- $40K on lot from out west dealer (add about 2K in shipping)
- $50K on order "locally"
* The dry weight is 9100lbs vs 6K of the trails west, yes more metal = better built i understand that
** Too heavy for current setup (see below for explanation)

I am at the same money for a 28ft Trails West Bumper pull vs a 28ft empty aluminum bumper pull once i add a couple shelves or cabinets and some super glide
- Seeing the aluminum trailers in person they are built stout and will last 10+ yrs easily, how cheaply made are these trails west trailers?
(because the comparing the Logan trailers on paper they are an additional 10K and 1/3 more weight)

I would like a gooseneck trailer but i am not sure it is the wisest purchase for the additional cost ($6-10K more) and also with the current trucks current payload rating. (also limits someone else towing a gooseneck if they have a sled deck etc..)
*That extra $6K could be 2 or 3 more trips out west

- 2019 Ram 2500 Power Wagon, Door sticker says 1000lbs payload and I have significantly less than that remaining per the CAT scale (again, new truck maybe happening between now and Jan)
- A gooseneck will be 25-ish % tongue weight on truck vs 10 - 15% of a bumper pull
Assuming 10K gross weight that's 1000lbs on truck vs 2500lbs (barely over weight vs VERY over weight)

* Yes i know most will say add airbags and run it.

So I think mentally i have narrowed it down to a 28ft Trails West or the Legend / InTech Bumper Pull trailers (same money basically)
* cant bring myself to pay $40+ for a trailer that I'm going to pull a few times a year so that rules out Logan unfortunately)

I honestly think the 28ft Trails West gooseneck is pushing it on truck legal gvwr wise
- capability wise i think i would be ok.

1. How nice is ability to flick on the lights, have a place to sit down etc..
- The stereo is meh in my mind

2. How well does the heat work (specifically the boot and glove drying)? Its always entertaining to either have to rotate gear on a 2 or 3 day cycle to let completely dry or its a fight for the tiny heat register in the hotel room between the couple of you to try and get dry gear for the next morning.
- If the boot / glove dryer sucks and I cant just run the furnace for whatever i can set the timer to and be good for the next day, I might as well add a large propane heater myself to a aluminum trailer.

3. How is the build of the Trails West (any better throughout the years compared to the horror story threads i have read about on this forum)?
- Can someone take some pictures of underneath theirs, both the main frame, the stringers out to the floor etc..
- I know some of the cost difference is steel vs aluminum but it the Trails West is built on tooth picks still i am not really interested.
- I can deal with Fluid Filming the undercarriage before hauling it home (rust preventative) but if the welds are complete garbage and im going to have to have it fixed / repaired in 2 years i am even less interested.
* Woolwax / Fluid Film is already a bi-annual ordeal for anything steel in these parts

4. How is the Trails West warranty (I couldn't find any info regarding the such)
- I have heard both InTech and Legend will stand behind their products (from sources other than the dealers visited)

5. The Trails West is deck over design vs. wheel wells inside the trailer
- how much crappier does this tow with allowing so much more air to get underneath?

6. Do i just say F - it and run a 28ft goose for a the remainder of this trucks life?
- at 33 - 39K vs 26 - 29K depending on the configurations compared the upfront spread isnt huge.
- Trucks remaining life could be a few years, or could be a couple weeks left and not even see any of the above trailers. (still in litigation / pending lawsuit)
So what did you end up with?

newmy1

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Huskerland
Run from Mirage.

ht tps://drive.google.com/file/d/18zh0Xf4UmxYK140E5YxH4gmvlDsXFlRJ/view?fbclid=IwAR199gmGKtUOnKcaSQb8rwvKqrBCK3k5fP9tZBGH8OR5mi636OE4SdMqd84

Premium Features