• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New to sledding, can’t decide

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Get a 162??? No way, the 153 is much more fun! I have ridden the Cats back to back 153 and 162, on the M, Proclimb and Ascender, short track all the way for me.

J
Nov 16, 2019
I love the input here. I have had all the sleds but a cat, but rode with Cats every year and capable sleds. The cat is very good, the problems with the diamond drive and clutch made me stay away in those years. So I would buy them in the following years

cat 800 2009-2010 need to be willing to repair diamond drive and primary clutch. Great engine

dragon 700, 2007-2010 work great stock all though the air shocks tend to last 5 years and need rebuild.

2004-06 skidoo 800 - was the best sled in 2006 out of the box. I had 2008 and 2010 doo, and are fine, but if I were to do agian, I would ride the dragon or cat of those years.

2011 -17 I like the poo and skidoo more than the cat. each year keeps getting better. And I would take a 2011 poo or skidoo over any of the older sleds, but the costs go up.

2018 plus, man they all are great sleds. Different, but I could own any of them and argue they are the best.

So I found a 2010 m8 that I have setup to look at tomorrow. What all should I look for? What’s a good price on them also? I’m wanting to take the guy down some but not sure if it’s way out of the price range and not worth my time.
What all is needed for the diamond drive?

2010 arctic cat sno pro M8, 800cc two stroke snowmobile. 153" inch length track 2.1/4" inch lug. Fox float suspension front and rear, Z broz chromoly A larms, slp pipe, powder pro skis. Fuel injected, custom wrap. Runs great mechanically sound. Ready to ride for the upcoming season. Asking $4000.00 obo. Sled will come with a few jugs of arctic cat 2 stroke oil, a few new extra brand new belts, spare spark plugs, a second set of brand new stock A arms, as well I have a bi fold aluminum loading ramp to go along with it as well cost $350.00 new from cycles and gear

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Follow the steering post down to the bulkhead. Shine a flashlight down there to look for cracks.
Turn the handle bars back and forth while looking. U will see the tunnel move up and down while turning. That's why they crack there. Turning the bars flexes the tunnel and eventually it cracks.
I suggest the M-rite support.

Sent it

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
So I found a 2010 m8 that I have setup to look at tomorrow. What all should I look for? What’s a good price on them also? I’m wanting to take the guy down some but not sure if it’s way out of the price range and not worth my time.
What all is needed for the diamond drive?

2010 arctic cat sno pro M8, 800cc two stroke snowmobile. 153" inch length track 2.1/4" inch lug. Fox float suspension front and rear, Z broz chromoly A larms, slp pipe, powder pro skis. Fuel injected, custom wrap. Runs great mechanically sound. Ready to ride for the upcoming season. Asking $4000.00 obo. Sled will come with a few jugs of arctic cat 2 stroke oil, a few new extra brand new belts, spare spark plugs, a second set of brand new stock A arms, as well I have a bi fold aluminum loading ramp to go along with it as well cost $350.00 new from cycles and gear

How many miles on it? The primary clutch is good for about 2000 miles between rebuilds. When you look at the primary and turn it around, check to see that the weights are properly centered. Lack of maint and they rub on the sides and contribute to spider breakage. The diamond drive for that year needs a replacement bearing, pretty simple and inexpensive if it wasn't done a long time ago. SLP pipe sounds wrong, I do not think there was much gain for the 800HO and it would require a fuel controller I think. I am not a fan of the early fuel controllers and would avoid a sled with one. Pretty sure you can run a Y-pipe and can without a controller but not the pipe. Jugs of oil are $50 ea., belts about $120 ea I think, spare a-arms are nice to have and worth a few hundred.

This summer I sold my last M Cats a pair or '10 M8's, one sno pro one standard both with about 1200 miles, excellent condition, $3000 ea in the off season, today I think they would bring $3500 easy going into the season.

J
Nov 16, 2019
How many miles on it? The primary clutch is good for about 2000 miles between rebuilds. When you look at the primary and turn it around, check to see that the weights are properly centered. Lack of maint and they rub on the sides and contribute to spider breakage. The diamond drive for that year needs a replacement bearing, pretty simple and inexpensive if it wasn't done a long time ago. SLP pipe sounds wrong, I do not think there was much gain for the 800HO and it would require a fuel controller I think. I am not a fan of the early fuel controllers and would avoid a sled with one. Pretty sure you can run a Y-pipe and can without a controller but not the pipe. Jugs of oil are $50 ea., belts about $120 ea I think, spare a-arms are nice to have and worth a few hundred.

This summer I sold my last M Cats a pair or '10 M8's, one sno pro one standard both with about 1200 miles, excellent condition, $3000 ea in the off season, today I think they would bring $3500 easy going into the season.

Thanks for the reply. I will be sure to look at the clutch. I have been into utvs for years so I do know all about those clutches, just had to replace mine a few months back.
I’ll check about the fuel controller. If it does have one would it be ok to just replace the can and remove the controller?

I’m hoping I can get it down to 3500 so might not be to bad with all the extras it is coming with, from the picture it looks really clean but those only tell so much is what I have noticed from all the other sleds I’ve looked at lately.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Another vote for the M series over the ones you were previously looking at. I had an 05 M7 162 as my first mountain sled, it was a great machine to get out and into the sport with. Easy to work on, cheap to fix, lots of parts available etc. Next suggestion would be a 14+ XM chassis, but your budget will need to come up.

M
Oct 10, 2012
North Dakota
have run cats for 13 years now. Sometimes in groups of us being 19 sleds. Have seen the most trouble with the primary clutch. That is on usually on sleds that get pounded by certain guys all day. I have had cats with 5000 miles on them and no problem. On the diamond drive I think if a person puts new oil in after the riding season they last. Never seen one fail in our group. I really like the newer ones tho. My first real sled for an old guy that rides in the mountains was the 2013 made a pour rider like myself look ok. HCR is a great sled but wider and stiffer front end. Not the greatest for side hilling.

J
Nov 16, 2019
Picked up the 2010 m8. Got there and it was very clean, under the hood all around the motor. Clutches in good shape. The primary was just done over summer. Looked around the guys garage and he had some dirt bikes that were all immaculate so you could tell he took care of his stuff. We are actually going to be riding together this weekend.
Was about 28* out yesterday cold starting it started within the first pull.
Came with new belt on and 2 spares, spare a arms and cover.

From the other sleds I’ve looked at this one I feel I got a great deal on.
Can’t wait to get out and ride. We just got dumped out for the last 5 days with multiple feet in the mountains.

3e3c9c0ea4826d2699ba25c93b34dff6.jpg

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
Nice sled! Unless you do a lot of trail riding ditches the skis the steering is super heavy with them

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Yep, I would change the skis out for deep snow riding. Polaris Grippers, newer Cat skis, SLP Powder Pro's all would be a big improvement. Keep an eye on the swap meet, CL and FB for deals. Looks like a nice machine, Enjoy!

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Those are better than any cat ski imo. those arms wider than stock? this thread kinda makes me want one, with a 2.6"

N
Jan 3, 2008
Northern Utah
Just the fact he is willing to go riding with you after the sell is a big bonus. Says he has faith there wont be any issues. Those skis need some powder wings on them. Makes them act totally different in deep snow.

Premium Features