• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New to riding Island Park

wonderxc600

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
MN
New to riding Island Park area, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Not looking for your secret spots. Just looking for a couple good parking location's to start from. Thanks for any help

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Launch out of BIG SPRINGs.
Head for Black Canyon
Then spend as much time as you can diving OFF the trail and exploring both sides of it with a KEEN EYE to not crossing into the Nation Park Boundaries on accident.

Once the Avy Danger subsides, then its time to switch sides to the other side of Island Park to go check out the Steep and Deep of Mt. Jefferson.

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
Head west from Elk Creek Station to the Keg Springs parking lot.
Its about 14 miles west of US 20. (Same road the land fill is on. You can't miss the parking lot, they stop plowing the road there.
Follow the trail north out of the lot and just explore the heck out of that area. It can be as easy or as challenging as you want to make it.
Just don't go clear north of the ridge into the wilderness study area.
They should have some good maps to let you know where it is.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
down load Avenza Maps on your phone. You then for free download the map for the area and get live updates of yor location. parking areas are on the map.

C
Jan 14, 2020
bumping this thread for more island park riding. last year we went to the black canyon loop south and found some real good ditch bangin' and mini hillclimb areas. anywhere else in particular super rad for off trail with easy, medium, and fun hillclimb areas? thanks!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
bumping this thread for more island park riding. last year we went to the black canyon loop south and found some real good ditch bangin' and mini hillclimb areas. anywhere else in particular super rad for off trail with easy, medium, and fun hillclimb areas? thanks!
if you're looking for a real hill climb, these are your two best bets, snow permitting..

On the EAST side of Highway 20
2021-06-22_14-49-05.jpg

On the WEST side of Highway 20
2021-06-22_14-47-31.jpg

C
Jan 14, 2020
Just booked a week-long stay the last week of february ;)

hopefully this storm cycle continues and gets some deep and steep this year!

I'll PM you guys for some contact info when time gets closer, YEEE HAWWWWWW

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
I have a family cabin booked the last weekend of February.
Forum Ride is the weekend before in Togwotee.
I could still come ride probably Monday or Tuesday.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Feb 10, 2021
I'll be headed to island park in FEB as a first time rider in the mts....What would be the best places for me to try out?
What is the best spot to rent avy gear?

Feb 10, 2021
Since this is my first trip west i was looking for a place to rent the safety gear locally or am i better off getting something lined up online from like OERentals?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Since this is my first trip west i was looking for a place to rent the safety gear locally or am i better off getting something lined up online from like OERentals?
will you be staying on the WEST YELLOWSTONE side of the mountain or the Island Park side.
Riding wise, its ALL totally interconnected.
But for rentals I will point you to a shop close to where you are staying.

Premium Features