• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New To Polaris w/ a '16 Axys Pro RMK 155

J

jwebb06

Dec 17, 2012
Schleswig, IA
So after about 15 years I have decided I'm switching from my '13 Arctic Cat Sno Pro Pro Climb 800 153 to a '16 Axys Pro RMK 800.

First Question I have is if my dealer can even find me a 155 with the 3" paddle and the chain drive, would that be better than the 155 2.6" with the QD... or is this just a rider preference question. I have wanted the 3" paddle but here so much about Polaris and their QD so why not put it on the 3"? I have seen there are aftermarket QD's out for the 3" but have heard possible problems with them running through the bottom panel.....?

Next question is what is sounding like the best aftermarket can and or can/pipe kit? coming from Cat and having Speedwerx who works closely with Cat is there a company that works with Polaris like that? I heard SLP is pretty good? Also have heard and seen some clips and like the sound of the GGB mountain can but didn't know how reputable they are and they dont make a pipe so didn't know how that can may work with other pipes?

Next short and simple question can you run aftermarket oils in in the Polaris Axys Pro RMK 800's? I ran Klotz in my Cat and would like to keep running it.

Last question for now is whats everybody liking for aftermarket bumpers and boards? I Really like Racewerx on the cats but didn't like what the had for Polaris and haven't seen anything new for the Axys. I have seen and heard a lot about Skinz Protective gear and B&M. I just recently seen a post from Chris Burandt about Burandt edition front and rear bumpers and boards from Skinz.... anyone know when they will be available?

Long post I know so if anyone has the patients to read through and respond I greatly appreciate it being new to Polaris.

C
Dec 24, 2014
So after about 15 years I have decided I'm switching from my '13 Arctic Cat Sno Pro Pro Climb 800 153 to a '16 Axys Pro RMK 800.

First Question I have is if my dealer can even find me a 155 with the 3" paddle and the chain drive, would that be better than the 155 2.6" with the QD... or is this just a rider preference question. I have wanted the 3" paddle but here so much about Polaris and their QD so why not put it on the 3"? I have seen there are aftermarket QD's out for the 3" but have heard possible problems with them running through the bottom panel.....?

Unless your dealer has a left over snowcheck machine, you aren't getting the 3" track this year. You probably need to find a dealer that has some. I rode the '16 Cat last spring with the 153x3 and I really liked it. That said the 155x2.6 is pretty much what the Cat guys bragged up for a couple of years, so far mine is working great. It is definitely buyer preference because both systems are pretty reliable. I happen to like the QD, it was more responsive in the last chassis.

Next question is what is sounding like the best aftermarket can and or can/pipe kit? coming from Cat and having Speedwerx who works closely with Cat is there a company that works with Polaris like that? I heard SLP is pretty good? Also have heard and seen some clips and like the sound of the GGB mountain can but didn't know how reputable they are and they dont make a pipe so didn't know how that can may work with other pipes?

I haven't modded a sled for years. I am pretty sure this one is going to get an SLP stage 2 at some point though. No fuel controller needed at altitude, +9 hp and -14 lbs. With the clutch kit it is around $850. I was never a fan of aftermarket fuel control boxes, I am glad we are back to bolt ons that work!

Next short and simple question can you run aftermarket oils in in the Polaris Axys Pro RMK 800's? I ran Klotz in my Cat and would like to keep running it.

You CAN but everybody and their brother recommends the VES gold. The dealer refills my gallon jug for $45 OTD. It isn't any problem unless you have an engine failure and they are looking for ways not to pay for it. Not worth the risk for me.

Last question for now is whats everybody liking for aftermarket bumpers and boards? I Really l
ike Racewerx on the cats but didn't like what the had for Polaris and haven't seen anything new for the Axys. I have seen and heard a lot about Skinz Protective gear and B&M. I just recently seen a post from Chris Burandt about Burandt edition front and rear bumpers and boards from Skinz.... anyone know when they will be available?

Long post I know so if anyone has the patients to read through and respond I greatly appreciate it being new to Polaris.

Again, I leave my sled stock. To me all the aftermarket bumpers and such just add weight. If you smack it up the results are pretty much the same with or without bumpers IMO. I am sure others will chime in with different opinions. My opinion is, it isn't a Cat and doesn't need $2000 in mods to make it a rocking mountain sled.

Enjoy your new ride!

S

shep

Nov 5, 2011
glenwood springs
I'm in the same boat, I've been on a cat for 31 years this year its the 16 pro 163 track 2.6 lugs
I.m sure for me it will be night and day, the last cat I had was 12 m800 162 track with 2.25 lugs

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
You CAN but everybody and their brother recommends the VES gold. The dealer refills my gallon jug for $45 OTD. It isn't any problem unless you have an engine failure and they are looking for ways not to pay for it. Not worth the risk for me.

Neither me or my brother recommend VES gold - but who are we? I have ran AMSOil in all my Polaris sleds over the years. I've never lost a motor (knock on wood) even in the Dragon years. I'm not saying that is the oil you should use but you are not stuck with VES only. Magnuson-Moss Act prevents a manufacturer from requiring that a particular brand of oil is used unless they provide it at no cost. Polaris has to prove that the oil did the damage if there is a warranty claim.

NEDitchbanger

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2011
Lincoln, NE
I second the Amsoil. Amsoil also offers warranty that if the mfg will not cover the warranty that they will. Basically they are saying that their oils meet or exceed their specs and your guaranteed warranty repair.

Premium Features