• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New SPOT 3 GPS Tracker.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=100

gen3_title_background.jpg

spot_gen3price.png

Service subscription required. Details >

SPECS
<table style="font-size:12px;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td width="50%">
Height:
</td> <td width="4%">
</td> <td width="46%">3.43" (8.72 cm)</td></tr> <tr> <td>
Width:
</td> <td>
</td> <td>2.56" (6.5 cm)</td> </tr> <tr> <td>
Thickness:
</td> <td>
</td> <td>1" (2.54 cm)</td> </tr> <tr> <td>
Weight:
</td> <td>
</td> <td>4.0 oz (114g) with Lithium batteries</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top">
Operating Temp:
</td> <td>
</td> <td>-30C to 60C
(-22F to 140F) </td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top">
Operating Altitude:
</td> <td>
</td> <td>-100m to +6,500m
(-328ft to +21,320ft) </td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top">
Humidity Rated:
</td> <td>
</td> <td>MIL-STD-810F,
Method 507.3,
95% to 100% cond. </td> </tr> <tr> <td>
Vibration Rated:
</td> <td>
</td> <td>Per SAE J1455 </td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="3">

Battery
</td> </tr> <tr><td valign="top">
Type:
</td> <td>
</td> <td>4 AAA Energizer™ Lithium Ultimate 8X
Or 4 AAA Energizer™ NiMH Rechargeable</td> </tr> <tr><td colspan="3">
> Download User Guide (PDF) </td> </tr> </tbody></table>

spotgen3_tips.jpg

When your adventures take you beyond cell service, SPOT Gen3 lets family and friends know you're ok or sends emergency responders your GPS location, all at the push of a button. Add this rugged, pocket-sized device to your essential gear and stay connected wherever you roam. Long live adventure.

ov_subhed_enhanceservice.png

spot2_icons_track.png

SPOT Gen3's customized tracking features takes your SPOT experience to the next level. Only with SPOT Gen3, is tracking motion-activated regardless of the level of tracking you choose (Basic, Unlimited or Extreme). A vibration sensor tells your SPOT to send track updates when you are moving and to stop when you do. (This is a great new battery-saving feature! And, you don't have to remember to re-set your tracking after 24 hours.)

New Tracking Options:

Unlimited Tracking Set it and forget it. Pre-set your SPOT Gen3 to send tracks at the speed of your adventures. Change your tracks to send every 5, 10, 30, or 60 minutes. SPOT Gen3 will send tracks at your chosen rate for as long as your device is turned on and moving (no need to re-set after 24 hours). Tracking doesn't stop until you do.

Extreme Tracking Get all of the great features of Unlimited Tracking, but with the added ability to vary your track rate down to every 2 ½ minutes. Don't miss a step with increased track rates!

ov_subhed_enhancefeature.png

Longer Battery Life SPOT Gen3 has approximately twice the battery life of the SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger!

Battery Options Now there are more options for how you power your SPOT:

• 4 AAA Energizer® Ultimate Lithium 8x Batteries (L92)
  • 4 AAA Energizer® NiMH reusable batteries (NH12)
  • Line power with a 5v USB connection. (SPOT Gen3 is not waterproof when line powered.)

ov_subhed_basic.png

spot2_icons_sos.png

S.O.S.:
With the push of a button, GEOS International Emergency Response Coordination Center provides your GPS coordinates and information to local response teams - for example contacting 9-1-1 responders in North America and 1-1-2 responders in Europe The S.O.S. button is for emergencies only.
Read more

spot2_icons_check.png

Check In: Let family and friends know you're ok when you're out of cell phone range. Send a pre-programmed text message with GPS coordinates or an email with a link to Google Maps™ to your contacts with your location. With a push of a button, a message is sent via email or SMS to up to 10 pre-determined contacts and your waypoint is stored in your SPOT account for later reference. Your stored waypoints can be easily integrated into a SPOT Shared Page or SPOT Adventure account.
Read more

spot2_icons_help.png
product_Assist_logo.png

Help/SPOT Assist:
Alert your personal contacts that you need help in non-life-threatening situations. Or, use SPOT Assist for professional services on land or water. (Additional service required).
Read more

spot2_icons_msg.png

Custom Message: Stay in touch while off the grid by sending your custom message. Set up a message before leaving to send to contacts with your GPS location. Use this feature as a secondary OK message or transfer your personal help alert to this message function if you are using a SPOT Assist service on your Help button.
Read more

spot2_icons_track.png

Tracking:
Allow friends and family to follow your progress online in near real-time and save waypoints so you can review your entire route at a later date.
Read more

ov_subhed_include.png
<table style="margin:10px 0px; text-align:center;" cellpadding="8" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td><li style="color:#E18506;">Strap</td> <td><li style="color:#E18506;">USB Cable</td> <td style="width:160px;"><li style="color:#E18506;">Quick Reference Guide</td> <td><li style="color:#E18506;">Carabiner</td> <td><li style="color:#E18506;">Batteries</td></tr></tbody></table>

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I have had a SPOT tracker for several seasons now and really enjoy the automatic tracking interface to SnoWest. When I saw this new SPOT 3 with an upgraded tracking feature I decided to get a new one last night.

Best I could find was this.
http://www.stock4less.com/SPOT-3-Satellite-GPS-Messenger--Orange_p_42549.html

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="620"><tbody> <tr> <td colspan="3"> <table border="0" cellpadding="10" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody> <tr> <td width="9%">
</td> <td width="46%">47916 SPOT 3 Satellite GPS Messenger - Orange</td> <td width="23%">
$143.24 x 1​
</td> <td width="22%">
$143.24
</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr> <tr> <td>
</td> <td colspan="3"> <hr color="#000000"> </td></tr> <tr> <td>
</td> <td colspan="3">
Subtotal: $143.24
Discount: $0.00
Shipping: $0.00
Sales Tax: $0.00
Total: $143.24​
</td></tr></tbody></table>

-lenny-

Lifetime Membership
Jan 29, 2011
Whitecourt, Alberta
Has the Globalstar satellite system been upgraded? Last year my spot only sent half (at best) of my "ok" messages. Makes me wonder what it would do in an emergency. I was sending the ok messages when stopped for a break. I would set the spot on my sled, face up. Just seemed it was having a hard time finding the signal?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Mine seemed SLOW to send updates as well.
That is one of the primary reasons I bought this new one as it advertises a preprogramed continuous send option.

Won't know till I try it out though.

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
I'm on my 3rd replacement spot. 1st one worked half a season the last two don't work at all can't get a signal at all tried in every type of condition, clear view of open sky etc, hours on end with customer support, subscription was in check. I'm ready to try something else. Spot seems sensitive to GPS devices, I also carry my phone and a garmin rhino, it's hard to keep everything a foot apart eachother.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Does this one finally make an audible noise when an OK message is sent? So annoying to sit there for up to five minutes staring at a blinking green light to turn solid for 3 seconds.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I'm on my 3rd replacement spot. 1st one worked half a season the last two don't work at all can't get a signal at all tried in every type of condition, clear view of open sky etc, hours on end with customer support, subscription was in check. I'm ready to try something else. Spot seems sensitive to GPS devices, I also carry my phone and a garmin rhino, it's hard to keep everything a foot apart eachother.
Dang.
I have had exactly the opposite with mine.
NO trouble at all for the last 3 years.
And I carry my Rhino as well..

No telling whats the deal, but I have had pretty good success with mine. Only issue has been SLOW updates on my location for the last season using the automatic map updater on SnoWest.

I hope that this Gen3 will do a better job of firing off my location every 5 minutes all on it's own.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Does this one finally make an audible noise when an OK message is sent? So annoying to sit there for up to five minutes staring at a blinking green light to turn solid for 3 seconds.
If it does, I see NO mention of it anywhere in the instructions.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I have considered the same thing.
But opted to keep the spot for the map tracking feature we offer here on SnoWest.

C
Apr 17, 2013
alberta
The newest spot has unlimited tracking

The last spot only gives you 50 breadcrumbs then starts erasing the oldest

And the old one uses more juice then the newest one.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 4

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Its the available INTERVALS that caught my attention.
I liked that I no longer have to press the button to trigger the location update.

Now I just set it to 5 minutes and it will auto-post all by itself all day long.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Ya, looks like SPOT is enforcing some pretty strict internet pricing.
I was lucky, I got mine for a few dollars off AND was able to get the $50 rebate for having bought it before September 30th!

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
Old thread, but really interested in how this unit has been working for you guys? Tracking seems cool, with auto updates and is nice. But having that SOS button when needed, if reliable, is worth every cent of $150...

Lots of bad stories over the last few days, in the typical "this range is simple to navigate" places.

Just starting to really look into this unit or similar.

Why hasn't Garmin etc implemented this tech yet?

Premium Features