• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New quality control issues!!!

Brish

Lifetime Membership
Sep 24, 2014
A little bird told me Polaris screwed up again and has put a stop ship on the 850 for crank issues. Who else has seen the emails

o2bncamo

Lifetime Membership
Nov 7, 2009
wisconsin
Only says Axys

polaris-jpg.2122958

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Built right the first time is always best - but at least they are doing 2022 NA motor build durability testing, and, had the good sense to issue a stop. The backstory will be most interesting, not just what, but how long on the dyno, how and when the problem was first identified, how long did it take to issue the first bulletin, and all the why's, etc. Some or most of the real story will come through the race channels and engineer contacts - we're all ears.

Last edited:

Brish

Lifetime Membership
Sep 24, 2014
The engine is the same between the two, and dealers have been told to not sell the matryx they have coming in. I just want to know how they managed to screw up again after the 2019 issues. They claim to have tested for 5 years but they still can’t figure out how to manufacture a consistent product.

polaris bob

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 16, 2002
Michigan
It's actually more of a motor issue than a chassis or particular sled issue. It just so happens that the only sleds they have shipped and delivered so far with the current MY22 850 Patriot motor are those two dealer stock order models.

So the stop sale applies to only those two models but the issue applies to all of the 850 motors they have assembled so far, whether they've been installed and shipped or have been assembled and have not been installed yet.

The motors that have already been assembled and are awaiting installation at the factory will be repaired in-house at the factory, the ones that are sitting on dealers floors or in dealers warehouses will be repaired by the dealers once Polaris ships them new motors.

As I understand it after the fiasco with the MY19 motors, Polaris switch suppliers of some of internal engine components to an overseas supplier. ( They had been using an in the states supplier for the MY19 motor. ) Covid was showing there was going to be a huge issue getting those components to the engine assembly factory in a timely manner so they went back to the in-state supplier for the MY22 motor run internal engine components.

So in essence the same supplier of internal engine components has been associated with bearing issues in both the MY19 as well as the MY22 motor builds.

(Word has it that this year's issue is with the connecting rod bearings.)

I'm just super glad they caught the problem early enough in the build process to correct most of the sleds in house before they ever even get fully assembled or shipped.

I can't imagine the logistical nightmare of trying to ship thousands of motors out to dealers all over the country. It's so much easier for them to fix them in house where quality control can be more stringently monitored.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Something still doesn't make a ton of sense to me.

The Axys had the engine built, installed and shipped first. The Matryx, which I would imagine would have been the predominant mountain sled selection was built later so the engine issues showed up early. If they are just now figuring it out, how are the Matryx snowchecked sleds supposed to hit your doorstep in a timely manner? With an anticipated parts supply issue, it would make more sense to me to build the actual snowcheck sleds first and not the dealer floor Axys models. Maybe I'm missing something.

polaris bob

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 16, 2002
Michigan
I'm sure only an insider at Polaris could tell you the reasons why they build the sleds in a certain order.
I'm sure some of it has to do with the intended market the sled is being built for as they like to get the mountain sleds out earlier than the flatland sleds but I'm sure it also has a lot to do with available parts at the time the sleds are being built.
Being as the Axys is an older model which is been a production for numerous years it's conceivable to understand and believe that they have a surplus of parts available for ready assembly.

Also you have to consider that because of the massive response to snow check this year most of dealer stock orders on Matryx chassis sleds were canceled so many dealers ordered whatever they could to put sleds on the showroom floor to sell.

As for the anticipated delays on The Matryx chassis sleds because of this issue no one knows yet although anyone who has talked to someone at Polaris have all been told the same thing, Polaris expects to ship and deliver matrix sleds during the first part of December which is later than normal.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Something still doesn't make a ton of sense to me.

The Axys had the engine built, installed and shipped first. The Matryx, which I would imagine would have been the predominant mountain sled selection was built later so the engine issues showed up early. If they are just now figuring it out, how are the Matryx snowchecked sleds supposed to hit your doorstep in a timely manner? With an anticipated parts supply issue, it would make more sense to me to build the actual snowcheck sleds first and not the dealer floor Axys models. Maybe I'm missing something.
I would guess that they built and shipped what they could with existing parts (Axys), while waiting on parts for Matryx. Give the dealers something to sell. My son's Doo 600SP has been here for almost two months, but it wasn't changed from previous years. At least not much. So probably a slam dunk to get it out of the factory early. In 2016 my Freeride showed up in July. But nothing had changed from previous year. I fully agree, if in-season sleds are available and sold when checks are not, complete BS.

C
Sep 8, 2014
Crested Butte
19 would be “the worst” if you can call it that but 20 and 21 were pretty bomber in my opinion. if a 2019 had a crank issue it would have shown up by now, unless that sled has very low miles then maybe not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have the dealer repairs on the 2019 cranks been solid fixes?
Was it a Crank bearing problem that year?

Nov 26, 2007
golden BC
Have the dealer repairs on the 2019 cranks been solid fixes?
Was it a Crank bearing problem that year?

if i’m remembering correctly yes it was a crank bearing in a fairly small amount of motors. they seemed to fail by 300 miles if they had an issue. those sleds got a new motor or at least a bottom end so yeah the issue was fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Beyond the PTO bearing retainer redesign in 20 (championed by Indy Dan), 19 had a plugged oiler issue from too much case sealant - assembly line issue. That's what caused the low mile, rapid, catastrophic failures. Others may remember better.

Premium Features