• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New pet for Christmas?

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Please consider adopting your new family member from a shelter.
They didn't do anything wrong to end up there, and will love you just as much as the so called "perfect" dog from a breeder.

Every dog a breeder brings into this world takes an opportunity for a forever home away from one left alone at a shelter.

Thank you and Merry Christmas!

go high fast

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Missoula MT
After about 12 years we lost our dog buddy about 14 months ago. Now we have Max that we picked up at the local shelter this past July. Pets are truly a blessing and we love him very much. He is full grown. Look at the joy on my daughters face. There are few things that can create that.

max5_zpspwlrbhrb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The life of your dog is short, so why not spoil them! Now, I don't mean feed them garbage and let them be lazy. Do things with them! Take them on adventures, buy them toys that enrich their lives, involve them in your life, be their friend and their protector. One day you will wake up and wish you did more with them. Our lives are short, but theirs are far shorter. Make their life the best it can be!

48386548_2021605957892789_7686797798234128384_n.jpg

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Been looking. Waiting for the right one to get along with our other rescue animals. Mutts are generally healthier than pure bred dogs anyway. And they tend to have better dispositions.

I honestly believe that the animal knows that you are giving them their much needed 2nd chance.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
You see alot of families where the dog gets a few minutes attention each morning and evening.
Breaks my heart.
Kids inside, nose buried in their phones, and that dog absolutely lives for those precious moments each day.
If you let them in your heart, caring for them is no longer a chore. That time becomes as precious to you as it is to them!

Why wouldn't anyone become best friends with their dog?
Serious question.

R
Apr 18, 2016
We have always had rescue dogs, last year we lost both of them...not at the same time, think the second one was heartbroken, but they were both old.

Anyway I'm out rolling around with the wife and kids and they see puppies R us or something like that and beg me to go in. I tell them no puppy mill puppies but we can go in. We do, they love them all, I tear them away staying firm on no $2500 puppy mill pups.

Now they are all worked up, "Dad can we go to the shelter?" O.K. lets go. We go to the shelter...nothing but chihuahua's and pit bulls. I have come around on Pitts and know they can be pretty good dogs...they just are not for me. I don't want to deal with the stigma, I'm a big guy and don't need a scary dog to complete my look, I'm not opposed to small dogs either but don't love Chihuahuas...sorry just me.

Now the kids are begging to go to the SPCA shelter...fine, let me get some gas in the little Scout and we can putt putt over there. As we are making our way there I start telling my family I think we are trying to hard, all my very favorite dogs have just sort of come to me. We pull in to the SPCA and as we are walking in, an elderly lady is walking out with a really good looking springer spaniel, maybe a mix, maybe pure but boy is he handsome. My daughter says to the lady what a pretty dog did you just adopt him? she explains to us that the SPCA isn't admitting dogs today because the lady who does it isn't there. She explains she has to get rid of him because her husband passed away, she can't handle their house anymore and will be moving into assisted living where the dog will not be allowed. My kids are loving this dog and the lady asks "Do you think you guys might want him?"

I answered yes so quick it almost surprised me. This dude has been with us about 6 months now and we love him so much. I walk him every morning before work, my wife walks him after her work. My Mom and Neighbors love on him daily. He is so dam spoiled, I wouldn't mind his life. He is older, we got all his records after a trip to the vet...he is 8, I wish we got to have him even longer, I miss the first 8 already, he is my Dude. We are going to be really sad when he is gone he is one of my favorite dogs already. We take him over to see the lady we got him from every few weeks

Dogs have made my life better. I have always had dogs. I love them all but every once in a while there is one that is just super special. This dude is one of those. Merry Christmas, Happy New Year....don't be afraid of the rescue, some great dogs looking for love, open your heart.

sledhead_79

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2009
Wyoming
Stormy and Steamboat

You can thank the animal lover that I married. 39 months ago, we came across an Alaskan Malamute online from a Malamute Rescue that had a local foster here in Casper. Made our donation to adopt, went and got married and the following weekend Stormy showed up at our house! She's had a terrible history that just wants me to take a baseball bat to the A$$hole that had her prior to her being rescued. Luckily she found a friend and someone she can trust with my wife. She has nothing to do with me, she's always keeping an eye on me, but I still love her.

Last April, the wife wanted Stormy to have a friend, I fought and fought and fought because Stormy is a B1TCH, she doesn't get along with other dogs. Well, we came across a Mastiff Great Dane Mix online at the pound here in Casper. Took Stormy in to meet the big boy and they got along both visits. Next thing I know, make the donation and the jowls from the big boy are hanging out the jeep window flopping in the wind on the way home to his furever home! Myself, being the biggest Wyoming Cowboys fan West of the Mississippi named him Steamboat. The two kids have been best friends, they look after each other, which is very weird. Both kids are seniors, which are the best, I don't have patience for puppies. Stormy is still #1 in my heart due to her unknown history, but Steamboat is my rough house buddy! Never a dull moment in our house, Stormy sassy'n me with her Malamute Talk and Steamboat being the clutz!

Drives me nuts when people go out spending big $$$ on puppies when they can look online and rescue the same breed/mix/mutt for couple hundred at most.

We sure do support/donate to the local humane society and the Moonsong Malamute Rescue, especially during Christmas time.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
People that think they are mere "pets" truly have no idea the extent of distinct and different personalities these wonderful creatures all have!

Jean-Luc Picard

Premium Member
Aug 25, 2017
Blackfoot, Idaho
www.bennyfifeaudio.com
Growing up, I was in a pet free home. My stepfather wouldn't allow it & my mom developed an allergy to cats. They haven't been in our home in 3 years now, despite only living 40 minutes away. I understand having allergies. I have insufferable hayfever every spring & summer. Take a freakin' zyrtec. Come visit your grandkids at their home. Our pets are a part of our family as much as our kids are. When our oldest cat died the day after Thanksgiving, I'm not sure who shed the most tears in our house. They provide comfort, companionship & truly unconditional love. My side of the family just doesn't get it. And I've gotten to the point where I just don't get them. Cest la vie.

sledhead_79

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2009
Wyoming
Well this family has had better New Years than 2019. Spent half the day with in ER with Stormy (Alaskan Malamute) on New Years. Yesterday (01/02/2019) we had to say goodbye to the girl. First pet my wife and I have had a as a couple. We rescued her 13 days after we were married in Oct. '15. Couldn't ask for a better dog. Steamboat keeps looking for her and we have been doing everything we can to bring a smile to the poor fella's face, but that Mastiff/Great Dane face just can't do it. She sure did like her Ugly Sweater Parties!

Stormy wants to thank all that adopt and won't shop!

IMG_3454.JPG

Last edited:

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Well this family has had better New Years than 2019. Spent half the day with in ER with Stormy (Alaskan Malamute) on New Years. Yesterday (01/02/2019) we had to say goodbye to the girl. First pet my wife and I have had a as a couple. We rescued her 13 days after we were married in Oct. '15. Couldn't ask for a better dog. Steamboat keeps looking for her and we have been doing everything we can to bring a smile to the poor fella's face, but that Mastiff/Great Dane face just can't do it. She sure did like her Ugly Sweater Parties!

Thanks for sharing.
Feel free to post all of the pictures you can find.
We'll mourn with you.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC

Very sorry to hear bud. Dogs are just the best and very hard to say goodbye to :( I am a sucker for the northern dogs...she looks like a beauty and it sounds like you guys gave her a great life. All the best for the rest of the year...that's not a fun way to start

sledhead_79

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2009
Wyoming
Thanks for sharing.
Feel free to post all of the pictures you can find.
We'll mourn with you.

If I post all the pictures and videos I have of her, I’ll end up crashing Snowest Forum site! Lol. I pick through the good ones!

Premium Features